• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SR7500 Ordered!!

Kazman

Prominent Member
I've sold my beloved SR7400 onto CrispyUK. Look after my ickle SR7400 Crispy mate :), I'm going to miss it.

I've ordered a silver SR7500 to replace it and should be able to pick it up next weekend (great service from AV Land again!!).

I know it is just a sideways step, and not a true upgrade, but the wife prefers the finish and look of the SR7500 and I want to see if THX is all it is cracked up to be :). Looking forward to it!! :D

I'll report back once it has arrived.
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
The SR7500 won't be much different from the SR7400. I'll gain auto setup, THX and newer amps all wrapped up in a slightly sexier case, but that is all really.

Oh, and Lip Synch correction. Otherwise it won't make much difference to the actual sound quality if any.
 

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
Dare I ask how much you handed over?
Still completely unsure of what I am changing at the moment- it was going to be the screen but all this arse about HD compatability means probably not for a while. Still happy with the Pioneer and whilst I have a Marantz DV8400 on loan, my player isn't too shabby either. There is the other matter that sadly my old speakers aren't exactly flying out of the classifieds at the minute.
 

MSYam

Banned
i'll also be interested to see how the Marantz receivers compare. I wonder if either of the two would be a BIG improvement over my Yam 640SE?

I really like the look of the new 7500 (not that it's a good reason to buy an amp), and I reckon it could be my next amp. But I'll be waiting till it comes down in price (just like the 7400 did).

Do you guys reckon it'd be a good upgrade?

hmmm.. I really should stop ploughing all my money into my AV kit! I've just about got over the outlay for my new XLS200. ohhh but it's good!!!
 

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Nice one Kaz. :thumbsup: How comes you didn't go for the 8500, would have been more of an improvement from a 7400? I take it you didn't fancy the DVI switching then!

Looking forward to your thoughts!
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
The problem with the SR7500 is that Marantz and some other amp manufacturers are going the speaker route and drawing up new contracts banning massive online mail order discounts and sales, similar to KEF and various other manufacturers.

If you want a discount, one is going to need to haggle in store or over the phone with a promise to pick up :). I see this being the case until the SR7500 or any other amp come to the end of their shelf life.

Be one with your dealer people, be their friend, soon, it may be the only way to get a good discount. 90% of places you go to online, will show the SR7500 at £699.
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
Tejstar said:
Nice one Kaz. :thumbsup: How comes you didn't go for the 8500, would have been more of an improvement from a 7400? I take it you didn't fancy the DVI switching then!

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Too much cost right now, this was just a sideways step for some experimentation, and to win some brownie points from the wife :D

The next serious upgrade will be going the pre/power route. Might get some monoblocks later in the yr for the SR7500.

The SR8500 adds a tad more power, and the DVI switching (which I do not need right now anyway, and probably not for a long while)

Hopefully processors by then will have DVI or HDMI switching.
 

wombar

Established Member
I'll get your advice on a 7500 just before they release the 7600 :laugh:

The 7400 is working out very nicely so far, I just need to get some Quads in and I'll be motoring.

Hope you're happy with the new addition to the family :)
 

henrydiez

Standard Member
I am interested too in your opinion of the real world test of how good musically is the sr7500, since you have jumped the wagon before me.
Regards,
henrydiez
 

Falp

Established Member
Great option Kazman :thumbsup:

I've seen a 7500 last friday and looks great, but much bigger than the 7400.

I think I'll stick to the SR5500 and later add a pair of monoblocks... and maybe the Quads 12L+11L... :smoke:
 

CrispyXUK

Prominent Member
I bought the 7400 (cheers!) mainly for component upconversion and am waiting until amps offer HDMI/DVI upconverstion until I get another, hopefully the marantz will make a welcome change from the sound of the denon as I used to have a rotel 2 channel system which I prefered the sound of so hopefully the marantz will be closer to that than the denon (i hope) :)

Hope you enjoy the 7500
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
Mate, I'm thinking of coming up a bit earlier to play with all your games consoles :D :devil: I have the GC, Xbox and PS2, and owned all the others apart from the NES. Ahh, them were the days :)
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
Falp said:
Great option Kazman :thumbsup:

I've seen a 7500 last friday and looks great, but much bigger than the 7400.

I think I'll stick to the SR5500 and later add a pair of monoblocks... and maybe the Quads 12L+11L... :smoke:

Yeah, I was a tad gobsmacked when I saw the size difference :eek: Haven't told the wife that though :devil:

Better looking than the SR7400, lets hope that makes up for the added bulk, I hope it fits on my new soundstyle rack :suicide: will have to go on the top shelf I reckon :suicide: :suicide: :eek: :oops:
 

CrispyXUK

Prominent Member
Kazman said:
Mate, I'm thinking of coming up a bit earlier to play with all your games consoles :D :devil: I have the GC, Xbox and PS2, and owned all the others apart from the NES. Ahh, them were the days :)

hehe, If only they were plugged in :( :)
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
Woohoo!!

The SR7500 has arrived at AV Land, so looks like everything is set for the changeover on Saturday :D
 

Dfour

Prominent Member
LOL whe will you stop?? :rotfl: I'm sure you will love your new toy.:cool:

I'm still thinking of upgrading to the 2500 but now im unsure if its that much of a step up to be worth it. Almost tempted by all the Tag avr32's floating arround the classified forum at the moment and use my Yamaha and rotel as the power amps untill I can afford a proper 5 channel power amp.:eek:
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
eviljohn2 said:
Go for it DFour, there's really not much point in going from your 1400 to another integrated. Using your Yam as the power supply is the only way forward, but will Kaz listen :rolleyes: :)

:p

I knew this was a sideways step :D The next upgrade will be with Power Amps on the audio side :D :devil: Especially considering I now have all the processing modes I wanted. :clap:
 

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
eviljohn2 said:
Go for it DFour, there's really not much point in going from your 1400 to another integrated. Using your Yam as the power supply is the only way forward, but will Kaz listen :rolleyes: :)

Having only heard pre-power combo's at shows (haven't had a chance to demo any) is there really that much of a difference between the combos and a good integrated amp?

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, i'm merely asking the question. When you made the step-up was it a subtle difference or could you notice the difference straight away? Am I also right in saying that the amount of difference would depend on the speakers you are running?
 

Dfour

Prominent Member
Tejstar said:
Having only heard pre-power combo's at shows (haven't had a chance to demo any) is there really that much of a difference between the combos and a good integrated amp?

I'm not saying there isn't a difference, i'm merely asking the question. When you made the step-up was it a subtle difference or could you notice the difference straight away? Am I also right in saying that the amount of difference would depend on the speakers you are running?

You have gotten the wrong end of the stick Tejstar, I havent done it yet, im only looking into doing it. Cant quite justify spending £700+ on a processor yet:devil:
 

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Dfour said:
You have gotten the wrong end of the stick Tejstar, I havent done it yet, im only looking into doing it. Cant quite justify spending £700+ on a processor yet:devil:

I realised that, the question was directed at eviljohn2! :)
 

Kazman

Prominent Member
oi oi, handbags down ladies :D

Think eviljohn2 was just making a suggestion and doesn't have a processor/power amp combo. :)

The biggest difference is with stable power all channels driven, an integrated would just not be as good as an equivalent power amp as the power amp is dedicated to one thing, power. There are a few exceptions, Krell and Lexicon for example, but even their pre/power combos outperform their integrated gear :)

It also depends on speakers, the more power they crave the better :D It's all about balance :)
 

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Kazman said:
Think eviljohn2 was just making a suggestion and doesn't have a processor/power amp combo. :)

:oops: :blush:

Kazman - there's a good review of the 7500 in this months AV Guide. Ckeck it out here

It's on page 7 :)
 

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom