1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sr7200 vs 2802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CodeThief, Jun 26, 2002.

1. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know something like this has been asked before. I've been through all the threads with 7200 in them. Could some 2802 and 7200 owners give me some pros and cons of these amps. The place in Colchester that I'm gonna go to demo doesn't sell Marantz and will probably steer me towards Linn and HK as this is what they sell. They sell Denon but don't seem very keen about it. Therefore Im gonna end up buying from the web and these two are both around £500 give or take a couple of quid from everywhere.

Thanks

Dave

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Facilities apart, the Marantz are generally deemed to be most musical of the mid price amps and I certainly couldn't fault my 6200 for musicality.

One of the mags tested the whole of the Denon receiver range in the current edition and they gave full marks to the 3802 and the bottom of the range one but weren't so happy with those in the middle.

One also have to wonder why your local dealer stocks Denon if they are not too keen on them.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You have to be careful relying too much on magazine reviews - Hifi Choice, for instance, gave the AVR1602 a bit of a slating (Jan 2002), while What HiFi gave it a full five stars in the same month's issue. Who is right?
    Not sure which mag this month Ian is talking about (not bought any), but the AVR2802 also had the full five star treatment from What Hifi (Dec01).

Personally I feel Hifi Choice tends to concentrate on the stereo performance a bit, while WhatHifi look at the whole package generally, but I wouldn't take any of them as gospel.

You really need to have a listen yourself.
    My advice to anyone buying an amp, is to first make a shortlist of those amps which appear to meet your requirments - ie features and facilities/connections/looks/price etc etc.
    Armed with a shortlist and knowing that eveything on it will meet your needs, then go and have some demos and see which one you like best, and don't worry too much about whether it gets five stars in this or that mag. If you do your homework, you'll often find the choice is narrowed down to 2 or 3 for you (ie this one doesn't have enough digital inputs, or that one doesn't support second zone main speakers (if that's what you want), and so on. There's little point buying an amp which doesn't meet your usage requirements, even if it does get 5 stars in this or that mag.

As to your dilemma, I personally feel you'll find there's little overall to choose between them. I may just be swayed towards the Denon by it's DTS-ES discrete capability, but that's really for the future - I don't think I actually have any DTS-ES discrete DVDs yet :). In all honesty though, if looking at the Denon, I'd be tempted to spend the extra £100 or so, and go for the 3802, seeing as it's being dicounted now, presumably to make way for the 3803. Your selection of Denon and Marantz wouldn't have anything to do with wanting a gold unit would it? :) :)

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Codethief,

I've got the SR7200 and I've never regretted it, I'd agree with Ian J in that it's very musical (if you manage to demo then check the source direct mode), it also handles movies very well.

Same old story though try and get a demo if you can.
    R.

5. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Well I've just phoned up my local hifi shop to demo the Kef Q1s bi-wired and not ;) and whatever amps they have. I asked

"You sell Denon don't you?"
    "Sort of" was the reply.
    "What do you mean sort of?? Have you got the 2802??"
    "Well we stock the 1802 but can't get rid of them. People don't buy Denon for their sound quality, just their name" Hmmmmm
    "Well what have you got thats around the same price range (£4-500"??
    "The Harman Kardon 2500 is £350 or... hang on we dont have the 3500 yet, but we have the 4500 at £650". I can see where this is going!!!!!

Soooo Im off to demo the Kef Q1s with an HK 2500 / 4500 amp on Saturday. Just gotta find somewhere else near Colchester now that stocks Marantz / Denon.

Dave

6. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck mate.

7. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks mate :)

I can see that Im gonna get Harman Kardon thrust down my throat even if I dont want it. Nothing against HK, if it can perform, I'll buy it :) Anyone know of any other places in / around Colchester that do demos?

Dave

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Harman Kardon are OK - sound fine, well built and good looking too (though that's just my opinion).
    However, they always seem to miss the boat when it comes to features/facilities - they give you some niceties but omit some essentials. The glaring ommission from the AVR4500 is the rear centre channel onboard amp(s) for DD-EX and DTS-ES - you have to use another amp to drive those speakers. IMO, any current DTS-ES/DD-EX amp/receiver has to have this - after all nobody would accept a DD/DTS amp with say the rear channel amps missing would they.
    For £650 (and in some cases a fair bit less), there's plenty of equally capable alternatives which do have it (them), so you have to question (or at least I do) what was going through their designer's mind when he decided to leave it (them) out.

9. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah I noticed this as well. You have to buy their flagship receiver to get 6.1!!!

Dave

10. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Forget the HK stuff (HK dealer taking here!). Given a choice, get a demo of the marantz or the Denon. Marantz and Denon are usually very similar in actual features, price and sound so its really a personal preference. As for HK, if the stuff was cheaper, it wouldn`t be too bad, and you`d get a HK AVR2500 for under £300 anyway!

Also consider the new Yamaha range, although to be honest once you`ve heard the SR7200 you probably won`t want anything else.

Hope the above helps?

11. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It helps very much!!!!

I'm off to get a demo tomorrow of the KEF Q1s (On an HK amp). since I can't get these any cheaper anywhere else (£250) then I may as well buy them from the shop and see if they'll do anything money wise about cable or banana plugs :)

Dave

12. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I encourage you to go for the Q1's and 2802. I've just bought this combination a while back, and it sounds wonderful. These two work very well together.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree as I can't have EX due to the room layout and there are hundreds more like me in addition to those that just don't want yet more speakers in the room.

I much prefer to pay for facilities that I need and not to have to pay extra for what I don't want or need. Extra channels of amplication and video switching circuitry all cost money and degrade signals and I object to having to pay for it just to subsidise the minority that want these facilities.

14. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you misunderstood what I meant.

No problem with people not wanting DTS-ES/EX etc etc, what I'm saying is why would anybody these days buy an amp which has the decoders for this, but not the amps - when any number of equally capable, and often cheaper, amps have both.
    You'd be paying for ES/EX decoders you can't really use unless you then go and shell out another £150 on a stereo amp to drive the rear centre.

You said it yourself,
    I much prefer to pay for facilities that I need and not to have to pay extra for what I don't want or need.

The AVR4500 may have features you don't want - what I'm saying is that it also has features you can't use anyway, even if you wanted to.
    For £650, my opinion is that it's too expensive for what you get when compared to the competition.

15. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I demo'd these today and I loved the Q1s so I bought a pair of and a pair of Atacama Nexus 6 stands. Also 12m of Silver Anniversary speaker cable. They were using KEF Q8s for the rears and despite their horrible looks, they sounded great too. At £180-£200 they are less than another pair of Q1s and I don't need more stands :)

The amp was actually really nice sounding but it was WAY overpriced considering other amps at the same sort of level. It was £400 for the Harman Kardon AVR2500. You can get it online for a little less but I can get the Marantz SR7200 for £485. Hmm tricky choice ;) Or the Denon 2802 for about £499. Problem is I can't get a demo of either of these in Colchester. Decisions decisions .....

Dave

16. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am no expert but I have been subscribing What Hifi, HCC for a few years now. I also owned Tos 210 DVD player, MF Xseries, Denon 3802, and previously owned sony 930

I thinks it really depends on how u are going to use your amp, do u listen to music more or watch movie more?? If music is your priority first, go for marantz. In saying that, dedicated hifi amp rather that home cinema is always better (except higher price range eg. Tag, Lexicon etc). I think if you own a deicated cd player then should go for Marantz. I went for Denon3802 because it offers me all the surround sound (Yes I have 4 rear surround speaker), and I now mainly interested in dvds only.

Because marantz's background on hi fi amp, it is definitely worth considering, Denon I think has more dynamic sound but not too good on stereo, but u can also buy a subwoofer!!

17. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, as far as I know the Marantz SR6200 is basically the same amp as a 7200, just minus a few features - different remote, no component video switching (does anyone actually use this), loses a digital input (2coax/2opt compared to the 7200s 3/2), no mutiroom facility (shucks :) ) etc etc.
    Follwing on from what IanJ was saying, if you don't need or want the facilities, why pay for them. Then again, if you do......... :)

If you have a turntable though, obviously the Denon would be favourite, as the Marantz's have no PHONO input.
    The Marantz's can't do DTS-ES discrete either, if that's important to you (and you own a DVD which actually has a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack :) ). Maybe useful in the future though - who knows!

Whichever one you get, you'll probably wish you'd got the other anyway
    :D :p

18. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Aaah now thats interesting to hear as well. I quite fancy the Marantz as I do occaisionally listen to some tunes. I better take a proper look at the 6200 / 7200 differences. If it's just a case of multi-room and another digital input / component vid switching then .....

Hmmm

PS, thanks for these replies, they're helping loads :)

Dave