Sr60i Bass

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by warzinak, Dec 28, 2011.

1. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My girlfriend aunt is visiting from America soon and im gonna ask her to get me some Grados because of how cheap they are there.
    Anyway atm the best headphones i have are Sennheiser HD280s which have pretty weak bass.
    So my question is i want the grados to be a big step up from the HD280s and im worried getting the SR60s might not give me what i want bass wise. Should i go for more bass and get the SR80s? or will the sr60s give me enough bass step up from the HD280s?
    i would prefer to spend less but not if the bass upgrade will be slight from the HD280s

2. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You're making all the assumptions that cheap phone makers create for marketing purposes. "Better" phones don't have more bass, they provide better SQ and have balanced sound. As you move up the Grado range, they become more capable, but they don't get bassier.

Grado will give tighter, punchier and better reproduced bass, but you won't get slabs of it, as per bassy headphones, which provide that and not much else.

3. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nono i understand what you mean, im not expecting very bassy phones, in fact i do not like too much bass. Im getting the Grados because i have a feeling they will be great for me, especially for the price. Im not saying that i think more bass = better headphones. The SQ of the HD280s was too sterile for me, although i did like the accuracy of them they had no life. From what ive read the Grados have great attitude to them especially for metal. The bass comment/question i had in the first post was just asking how the sr60s bass would compare to the hd280s because i felt they lacked it so if the sr60s have similar bass id rather go for the sr80s....
    sorry im not being clear. Maybe il clarify in the morning lol

EDIT: just to add 1 more thing...the only reason im asking this is because ive heard the only difference between the sr60s and sr80s is deeper bass and im just worried the sr60s (while having great SQ) will have weak bass again so debating if i should get the sr80s.. But if the bass on the sr60s is a big improvement over the hd280s then il just get those.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    The 280 are a dJ/mixing phone, so should be fairly neutral. Although any good source should breathe some life into such phones.

But if you want a lively sound with punchy mids and clear highs (some say too bright) then you'll like Grados and they do sound good with rock, as it's mids driven music.

Grados don't have deep bass in any of their phones, as you move up, they get smoother and more refined. That said, personally, I think Grado overstuff their low end range. There's not *that* much between the 60 and 225, it's all more of the same, but improved. I've the MS1 (SR125) and RS2 and the bass levels are not really any different. The RS2 does everything better though.

5. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think im just gonna get the sr60s, im sure it will be different enough compared to the hd280s...i also was considering the sr80s because i heard they amp better so in the future if i decide to amp itl be better with the sr80s....but i dont think il be doing that soon....£50 for a pair of sr60s is so cheap i cant complain and i know i will be happy

6. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You can't complain for that price. It's what feeds the Grado hype. Such value is lost everywhere else in the world, that's why Alessandros are better value..

I have the MS1 and I don't think it improves with an amp. Some think they do, many don't. That's how subtle the difference might be.