1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR5400 Teething Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RemotecUK, Jun 21, 2004.

1. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just wonder if anyone else had experienced these problems or could advise on what is causing them....

Ive got a Marantz SR5400 fed by a Sony NV930(?).. the progessive scan model of which the model number escapes me.

Basically, every so often the 5400 completely cuts out, it sort of switches itself off and then back on again. It typically does this around 30 minutes after being switched on and only playing DVD's. When this last happened I replayed the exact point where it happened on the DVD and it didnt occur again so I think that this rules out specific input from the DVD player.

Once it has switched off, it then more or less immediately switches itself back on and after a few seconds continues playing, howver it drops the volume down to around -60db.

Also, every so often the sound drops out for around 1/2 a second and then comes back in again. This happens every so often.

Ive checked the temperature of the amp and its not running particulary hot and Im not using it at high volume.

Problem 3, not so important but at times its impossible to change the speaker set up on the menu. Pressing the cursors just wont allow you to get to each speakers setting.

The amp sounds great in DD and DTS its just a shame I appear to be getting some teething difficulties. Any ideas on what could be causing these problems.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

2. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to say that is is a common defect in many x400-series Marantz receivers, as well as some other brands that use the same Dolby Digital DSP chipset. Basically, the there's something wrong with the thermal protection circuit in the DSP, and it's switching itself off too early due to the heat produced by the receiver. You will have to bring it back to your dealer for repairs.

BTW, I had the same problem, so I know exactly the problem you're describing... :(

3. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. I'll contact the dealer to make arrangements.

Does this fix both the total cut out and just the odd sound cut out problem as well?

4. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well in mine, the sound would drop out every 15 to 45 minutes, and come back on right away to the previous volume. I'll bet that this will fix all your audio problems.

As for not being able to navigate the speaker options, try navigating the menus with the dial on the front of the reveiver. If that works, then you may need to take a closer look at the remote. It could just be low on power. If the dial on the front also doesn't work, then there's either a big problem with the menu itself, or you're not accessing the menu options in the right order.

5. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Im getting that were the sound goes for a split second and them comes back on but Im also getting a scenario where the amp totally shuts down and you can hear it "click" off and then back on again. This takes around 5 seconds to sort itself out.

I'll be speaking to the dealer today to discuss what options I have. I dont really like the sound of a repair as the amp is brand new and I dont want to be without it for an amount of time whilst its repaired.

I'd prefer a swap out or a different amp I think.

Out of interest, what would happen if speaker wires became shorted? Im positive this isnt the case but Im hoping like anything myself or another contractor hasnt accidentally caught some of the wires that are hidden in walls or anything.

6. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the fix is simple as far as I know, I think all they have to do is pull out a single capacitor! At least, that's what it said on the repair ticket when I got mine back. Talk to your dealer and see if they can do it in-house for you. Otherwise, it may be a week or two to send it to Marantz for repair. Your dealer also my give you a new one (test it first!) as newer revisions may have shipped with this problem already fixed.

As for what would happen if something was shorted... Most likely the amp would shut itself off right away, and would turn off immediately, every time it's turned on. If you have access to the connections on the speaker ends, check for shorts with a multimeter.