1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR5400 heat

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by id212, Jul 4, 2005.

1. id212

id212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yet another question about my new SR5400 ;)

In general, I wouldn't stack up any equipment. However, my current configuration would be much better if I can put my DVD player on top of the Marantz.

So, I have tried doing exactly that but after just a couple of hours noticed that the top of the amp was quite hot and the bottom of the dvd has also warmed up.

The question is then basically if it's safe/acceptable to leave the dvd player on top of the amp or I'd better leave the amp alone?

Thanks

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    No digital equipment benefits from getting too hot. CD/DVD players are no different and will not perform at their best if too hot. I suffered premature failure of the optical pickup on a player I owned due to excessive heat.

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to keep your electronic devices working don't let them heat up. I'm speaking in general, not just about amps.

4. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the room, get a HiFi rack.

5. id212

id212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies!

I was more worried about the amp than the dvd ;) but still decided to move it apart to be on the safe side.

Nick, the irony is that I've got a nice hi-fi rack to keep all the equipment nicely connected and sitting on own shelves, however we just moved in to the new house and it has a custom fitted TV/hifi corner stand leaving me no choice but to use my hi-fi stand as a coffee table ;)

The main inconvinience in separating the dvd and the amp that I now have to get a new (longer) pair of interconnects for the dvd-audio output... Oh well, it all fits in there ;)

6. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the feeling mate - I had amps stacked whilst at Uni due to a lack of lengthy interconnects/money to buy racks, etc. Finally managed to get my amps onto a rack, but it's been a costly struggle in terms of buying new cables!