Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SR4400 crossover point

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lostprophet, Sep 27, 2004.

1. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello peeps,

I have a Marantz SR-4400 on order. After reading variuos threads and articles about it I have discovered it has a fixed crossover point at 100 whereas everyone seems to recommend 80. So my question is am I going to find that lacking the function of varying the crossover frequency is going to be restictive when setting my system up.

Never really worried me on my cr@ppy Sony but after reading so many threads I think its an option I need.....or do I?

2. loganX

loganX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the SR-4400 and hate the darn thing. I wish i would of saved a bit more and gone for the SR-7400 instead. Be pre warned this amp will drive you nuts every time there's a layer change during a film (i believe that's wot they call this). The film pauses then resumes and it takes 3 seconds for the sound to kick in again. I don't know if this happens with all Marantz models or just this one,but if i was you i'd cancel your order. If you still really want one you can have mine for £60.
    In the end it is your choice if you decide you still want it or not,and i'm sure they'll be some very happy users of the SR-4400 who'll tell u to ignore my post.but this is one fault i can't live with

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    Not going to add to loganx's comments other than to say that the crossover is fixed at 100hz which it must be said annoys some people as well.

4. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thats not a fault I've heard of but sounds like some kind of firmware problem, thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more research, I agree that is the kind of thing that can ruin the whole experience.

But ....£60...seriously?

5. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Tonsoffun, I figured it would be an issue, think the order will have to be cancelled. I've been offered a used Denon 2802 by a friend for an affordable sum also but will this reciever be a little old? Silly thing to say as I 'm not really fussed about the newer formats and the 2802 looks like its not too far behind but does sound quality move as quickly?
    Or would I be better off with a new Yamaha AX640? Any guidance would be thoroughly appreciated, I've made purchasing errors in the past despite thinking I'd done my research

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    If you are using it for films and then mostly for DD/DTS, the older units can represent pretty fine value for money. Where they lag is in the details- stereo performance is usually inferior and the video switching options lag behind newer models. If you watch a great deal of terrestrial films or older movies, the lack of PLII can be annoying.

Up to you.

7. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The 2802 has PLII and when new was at higher price point than the Yamaha AX640, comparing the specs I can't see much its missing and I'd presume the Denon to be the better piece of kit for sound quality.

I'm only really changing as I want pre-outs and while its served me well I would have thought all of these options would be an improvement over my Sony (sorry to be a pain but I'm asking all these questions so I don't end up with another amp I grow to dislike)

8. aimellie

aimellie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lost prophet

I too have done the same as you, read page after page of reviews made a decision on a yamaha 540 and a set of tannoy fx5.1,only to be persuaded into buying the marantz coupled with the gale ht405.1 sats+sub.
    This is no critisicm of the amp as it is a massive improvement on my old pro-logic amp.The sounds produced are great (if cranked up), yes the amp does have a crossover point of 100hz, after buying i read a review stating that this was not good and as you rightly said 80 would be better.
    The only critisicm i have is the very metalic sound produced when listening to cds,this i have put down to my speakers as i have later read it is a good dual purpose machine.
    There is a definate lack of bass, the amp allows a bassmix of all or lfe only,I have tried both and i still cannot create enough bass, but when in dvd mode (dts or 5.1) it definatey has more of an oomph.
    I am impressed with my new purchase but i have compared it to other slightly more expensive systems(and heard the comparison) and the marantx does not touch them for standard everyday music.
    Set up is easy, there is is 2 coax and 2 optical inte, no component though,it does not produce a warm sound more of a very crisp clean but very pleasing sound.If my budget allows i will change speaker set up and eventually my marantz, but for now i am pleased.
    My only advice is buy it for home cinema coupled with a good speaker set up but if your keen on music spend a few more quid >>>>

panny tx36pl32,tosh sd210e,marantz sr4400,gale ht405.1 :)

9. loganX

loganX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Straight up. If you really want this Amp you can have it for £60. I'm gonna try and demo the sr 7400 to see if this suffers drom the same problem. If it does i'll prob buy the yam 1400 or 2400. PM me if you would like the amp and we'll try and work something out.

10. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all the input guys, LoganX you have a pm

11. BigFella

BigFella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had been considering a Marantz SR4400 as my first foray in the world of AV entertainment. It seems ideal as it has pre-outs which will allow me to keep using my AudioLab 8000a to listen to music, but I ma now concerned by this problem with the 100Hz crossover.

Can anyone explain what a crossover is, and why 80Hz is better then 100Hz?

And if that's a stupid question then please be kind....

If the Maranta is one to be avoided, are there any alternatives? Low cost is the key here.

12. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My understanding of it is the frequency at which the amp sends the signal to the subwoofer and takes it away from the main speakers but I may be incorrect

Actually can anyone tell me if setting the speakers to small or large has any bearing on the crossover point?

13. mattburk

mattburk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Layer change problems are not caused by the receiver but the DVD Player. If you own the DV-4400 then you probably do have a problem with the layer change, as some of the older pioneer based players do have that problem. He has the SR-4400 not the DV-4400. I have owned a 7400 and a 8400sr and they let you set the crossover at 80/100/120. I found them both to be best in their class for sound quality.

14. loganX

loganX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Dv 6400 dvd player and a panasonic E30 recoder and the sound pauses for them few seconds when there's a layer change whilst the amp tries to figure out which sound input is coming thru............EG stereo,DD,DTS, ect. Tried the amp on auto reconition,straight DD and also on straight EX and the same happens every time. My friend as the same layer problem on his dvd player but once the film resumes his amp(yam 2400) resumes too. My amp takes a few seconds to kick back in.

15. mattburk

mattburk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try a different dvd player. Find one thats rated well for layer change.

16. loganX

loganX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Matt, but to be honest this gives me the excuse i need jo justify the upgrade in amp to match the rest of my kit. I only bought this amp cuz i had used up most of my funds on the rest of my kit. If the sound came back with the picture i would of been able to live with that.

17. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a sr4400. no probs watsoever and absolutely kicks ass in stereo and 6.1 with my mordaunt shorts.

just needs more power now and 7.1! roll on sr8500 babeee

18. BigFella

BigFella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'll still not sure I understand the significance of the crossover point and why 80Hz is better than 100Hz. :confused:

Interesting to hear that people seem to experience problems with sound pausing during layer changes.

I have a Toshiba SD210SE DVD player and it does pause during layer changes and I guess I am wondering whether I am likely to experience problems if I couple to this to a Maranatz SR4400 or any other AV amp for that matter.

Any advice/thoughts?

19. aimellie

aimellie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigFella

I have the Tosh SD210EB coupled with the marantz SR4400 and i can honestly say i have no pause during layer changes.The only time the amp pauses is when switching from say DTS to pro-log mode.
    The crossover is for me more of a problem, it appears the difference between the 80 and 100hz is that the sub kicks in before youre main front L+R units.
    I have tried turning the crossover point down but i cannot get it right.
    I am very pleased with the performance of the amp but not the bass, perhaps a switch from sats may improve things.
    I have later read that the conventional 80hz is better and i quote giving you a faster reponse and less of a lifeless booming effect. :)

The problem you are experiencing i would say is the dvd player and not the amp.An amp will only eat what you feed it,so to speak.

Did you go with the marantz?

Matt

20. ghdcodriver

ghdcodriver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    im new to the site, and im no expert, although i have been interested in hifi and av for many years. self taught through magazine info basically.

i have a toshiba dvd, and marantz av amp and confirm NO experience of the above mention layer change issues, in the past 2 years of use.

the bass response from the amp is a little poor, but i always expected that from the original what hifi reviews of the time. (the amp in question still scooped the budget av amp gold award for that year) (as did the tosh dvd).

i dont know about crossover points, and if they can be changed, but from what im reading it makes sense to suggest that bass sounds should be sent to the sub as low as possible.

i can confirm that if you are NOT using a seperate sub then the amp should be set to speakers LARGE so that they get the sub sound info and its not lost into the ether...

i plan to add a subwoofer to my system in the very near future to beef up the bass. otherwise im very happy with it.

grant
    p.s im putting all my sounds through Tannoy Mercury MX speakers

21. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What is the ideal cross over point for the Mission FS2Av speaker pack when hooked up to a Denon 3802?