1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR4200 DTS popping & Richersounds

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MonkeyDonkey, Jan 13, 2003.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my Sr4200 (Plus the £20 supercare cover) from RS in Birmingham a few months ago (late october/early november) but recently I've been noticing the dreaded clicking and DTS popping which Marantz have acknowledged as a problem and have since resolved. (aparently in about June, so why I got a "broken" unit several months later I don't know. Cheers for that guys, I'll remember this when its time for my next upgrade)

I've done a search but not many threads said what they got done about the problem.

So firstly can RS repair this or will it need to go to Marantz?
    By the looks of it there aren't too many 4200's left about, and even if there were would RS exchange it (and would it be yet another "broken" unit)?
    I really don't fancy being without any sound for a month or so while it gets shipped around forgotten about and damaged in the usual service center way.
    Has anyone dealt direct with Marantz about this, what was the response and what sort of time did you have to wait?

I'm inclined just to live with the problem, just to save myself from the hell that is getting things repaired. But with it being a problem with the uk power supply is it likely to get worse?
    Has anyone else decided just to live with it?

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I didnt have popping more like sound drop out and a signal delay problem between chapter searches and menues. I took amp back to sevenoaks who sent it back to marantz, while it was away i decided to upgrage to the 6200 [well why not...]. Sevenoaks obliged and it arrived 2-3 weeks later with a green sticker on the back. This sticker i was told on forum represented the fix to the amps marantz carried out to later models. Its almost perfect now i do believe this problem was due to a part in amp that did not like our 230v power supply. It still has a horrible plug on , like a cobbled together maplins number. I would say change it but since RS are such useless buggers i wouldnt bother.

3. pm_alexander

pm_alexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting post regarding the Marantz SR4200. I myself have one of these receivers, and I have ELAC surround sound speaker system. My DVD player at the time is a Wharfedale 750S, and I noticed the crack sound every now and then, when playing DVD's. I thought it might be the DVD player and bought a JVC Multi Player unit. So far I have not heard the crack sound yet, but I am keeping my ears open. I got the receiver fro Richer Sounds as well. If I hear the crack with my new DVD Player, then I will contact Marantz direct and see if this is a problem, and consumers have any rights to get it fixed or changed over.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check out the following thread for more information on this very issue,

MARANTZ SR4200 popping sound problem

The unit will have to be fixed by Marantz, speak with RS service department to see how long it will take.

It's a known issue and shouldn't be a big deal to resolve.