1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sr4200/dm602s3, small room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vidiot, Apr 19, 2003.

1. vidiot

vidiot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking for some opinions - i'm trying to put together a home theatre system with reasonable music performance.

my situation:

- small living room (4m by 5m)
    - tv and couch opposite each other on the long walls
    - love watching dvd's but would expect that we would use the system for music listening at least 50% of the time
    - want dpl II
    - don't care all that much about having more than 5.1
    - don't need to go too loud

i've listened to and been impressed by b&w 600 series bookshelf/standmounts - esp 602s3 - driven by marantz (sr4300), and thought pretty hard about having them as my mains. preferred over similar jamo, sonique, aarons. obviously i've got a lot more listening to do - plan to hear the quad 11s and some wharfdales this week

(i'm in Australia so a couple of those brands are probably unfamiliar (and rightly so to my ears))

it seems i can get hold of the previous model marantz (sr4200) for $AU700 - at the expense of 6.1, dvd-a/sacd inputs and a few watts/channel.

the biggest spanner in the works is the WAF - the b&w's are big standmounts and from what i read like to live with a little breathing space (from the wall). she finds any box ugly, let alone a larger bookshelf or standmount, and much prefers the b&w vm1's.

i guess i'm asking a few questions

1) has any one heard the vm1s (with subwoofer) and what did you think of them?

2) am i just going to have to bite the bullet and either accept substandard acoustics and pretty speakers? is there a better compromise?

3) any opinions on the sr4200/b&w dm602s3 combo? is the marantz up to driving them without straining during 5.1? i focussed on music in the show room.

4) other speaker options(circa $AU1000-1200 tops)

the austalian peso is worth about 38 pence so we are talkin around 400 pounds

thanks in advance!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at B&W life style speakers as well as missions but for hifi you really need proper fronts. as for amps look at yammaha 630/640 amps and the lower 430 amps, Happy hunting mate!

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can you get Kef speakers in Aus? Kef Q1s (maple) are a similar price to the B&Ws (I'd guess at 800 aus dollars) but are very "pretty" - my wife loves the way they look and she hates most of my gear! kef qs

If you're into music, make sure whatever amp you buy has pre-outs (the latest Marantz does & so does the yamaha 630 the budget Denon doesn't). That way you can add an integrated stereo amp at a later date if like me you find that your av amp isn't up to the job.

BTW I've just changed from a Yamaha 630 which is great for movies but lousy with music (IMHO) to a Pioneer 811 - slightly better movie performance to the yamaha but just as bad with music

4. vidiot

vidiot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those kef q1s do look the goods and seem to get a big thumbs up around the forums.

gonna be hard to budge the treasurer from the vm1s - she likes the style and i made the mistake of showing her the glowing whatever hifi review. they certainly go as close to her idea of the perfect looking system without selling my soul for a gallo system!

i guess the bottom line is that if i can't find (and demonstrate to her) a significant improvement with speakers like the b&w 602s over the vm1s (with sub) and i can get them for roughly the same $ i should go for it!

list prices here: AS1 $699, VM1 $299 each, DM602 $600, Kef Q1 $899, Quad 11 $550.

so i can get a couple of vm1s and the as1 sub for $1300 or a pair of dm602s for $1200 (their throwing in stands with the 602s at that price)

i guess the proof is in the listening, and anyone elses experiences or opinions are appreciated!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A glowing review in What Hifi is only indicative of the size of their advertisig budget and has little to do with the performance of the speakers.

6. vidiot

vidiot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hear you.

will go a listening this week.

shame work gets in the way of important tasks.:thumbsdow

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try a bit of psychology by taking your wife with you to the dealer and take her favourite CD with you. Make sure that the dem is two channel only and make sure that you start by listening to a pair of speakers that would have plenty of WAF. I would suggest a four letter word beginning with B and ending with E and once she has has listened to her favourite CD being mangled by these lovely looking speakers try again with some proper speakers and once she has heard the improvement she may make the decision for you.

8. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A very wise man indeed Ian! Obviously wide and varied experience in this field (The Woman)!
    Managed to talk my good lady wife into a pair of B&W 603S2's a couple of years back by utilising similar methods - to great effect I might add! And yes, they do need room to breathe.
    Marantz has always been a good match for the B&W's, although as Ian advises, the proof is in the listening.
    Do the dealer thing...

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just been to a mates who has 602s3 with a rotel RA 01 and a much smaller room 4mx3m and they sounede great. My Technics SADX950 could drive them no probs in stereo and as Front surround in 5.1