1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR4200 and BK XLS200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by munkay, Dec 22, 2003.

1. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just picked up my BKS XLS200 today from courier :)

OK had a good fiddle about with settings now:

Am using it with b&w 602 fronts - should I set speakers to small or leave them as large with the sub, or is this just a case of what listener prefers?

From searching I am thinking of:

High Level Gain - Leave as is as not used
    Low Level Gain - around 30-60% then increase to suit level
    Frequency - set to LFE (120 - until clicks) (noticing infamous hum :) )
    Phase - 0 as will be facing forward

Very impressed with build of the thing...totally solid. WIll report back some more once I have run it in :)

One main question is, is it ok to leave it on all the time or should I switch the on/off switch when out or whatever?

2. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine connected to a SR5200.

On all the time......

Crossover clicked to LFE

Gain at about 25% tops - quarter to on the dial as you look at it, but it won't be linear..... but the setting is best done by ear, or using SPL meter ... I tend to set it too high and keep turning it down until you can't hear it.... depends on how big you mains are really....

Make sure you run it in before battering it - easy to stress it in the early days otherwise.

3. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply :)

I seem to prefer the sound with all speakers set to large, seems to give a fuller sound but have to have the fronts and centre volume up more than the sub to balance it out it sems.

Why 25% gain? Is that not very low?

What exactly does the gain do?

(Watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night and the kinda depth charge bit at the start when the girl falls in felt like it came right out of the tv :) result )

4. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is effectively making the amplifier input more sensitive on the sub, so giving a similar effect to turning up the sub level on the amp..... however turning it up on the sub will also make it more sensitive to any noise/hum on the cable. You need to make sure that however you set it, that the sub doesn't bottom out at higher volumes without you noticing ..... it may be more prone to this until run in though.

I have all my speakers set to large - MA Silver 6 , Silver LCR and Silver S1 ....:)

5. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How long (Hrs/Days) should one run the XLS200 in for?

On my old Gale they advised 10hrs.

6. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say at least a couple of days worth of running - leave it on at a reasonable level while you are out.... my new MAs state 60 hours !! I'm sure I must be driving the dog mad

7. jasonw

jasonw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Xls200 arrived on Monday and it is great.
    I had set it up via the low level output only, (crossover to LFE, speakers all to small) and it sounded amazing. In fact it after trying it with the Attack of the Clones, T2 & The Haunting - my ears felt like I'd been on a plane for a few hours.

But now I've started to fiddle with it and attached the High level input as well. I have set my fronts to large and moved the crossover of the LFE setting.

Should I set the crossover to 40Hz (where my Kef fronts roll off at) or 100Hz (where my Marantz SR7200 does)?

Does the crossover dial only affect the inputs from the high level?
    i.e. does the LFE .1 channel still come through to the sub no matter where the crossover frequency is?

I've read a lot of other posts on this sub, but so far can't find any answers.

Please help