1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR125'S.... Need an amp

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SAP7, Oct 31, 2005.

1. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have some Grado 125's. I use them with my Pure DAB radio, and for CD's using an old Technics CD player (it wac class A and expensive when I bought it in about 1989!).
    I love the sound depth with them, and want to invest in an amp to make them work better (the outputs on my 80's Technics seperates are terrible).

But, I don't want to spend more than i need to! However, I will spend as much as it takes! Can anyone suggest the price/type I should aim for. I don't want something that is beyond my set up, but I want to get it right 1st time, and money isn't the issue.

I may upgrade the CD soon, for a better feed...

Lastly, and ex demo shops/sites/links/ideas appreciated!
    Cheers

2. SAP7

SAP7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok,
    This didn't get any replies so..... For my GRADO 125's:

After some research it seems to come down to the following in order of price:
    Project Headbox (cheap, but will i really see a benefit in going over this to...)
    Creek (mid price)
    Graham Slee (drool.... but is 5x the price gonna see much step up for the 125's)

Maybe this might stimulate some more replies. Please see my initial post and feel free to suggest others. Or sell me some cheaper!!

3. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I must have been away as I would have replied sooner. Ok I have tried so many headphone amps so should be able to help with some advice.
    Have you seen some of the other threads. The poject headbox is good and worth the price and it's really flexible with two headphones out and 3 inputs. The weakness I found with it is the rca connectors on the back are very tight and you can break bits of the plastic stuff if you were to keep taking them out (well mine did anyway) but still functions ok. You have other choices too like Musical Fidelity x-can v3 they give a warmer sound for longer listening. I have a solo I may get rid of soon as I also have the Sugden Headmaster and the Gracie m902 now these are even better than the Solo and have more functionality. I would buy the project as they go quite cheap and maybe also the Musical Fidelity as I rated these better than the creek 11se. See which you prefer as the resell (if brought originally second hand) will probably be the same as you brought it.