1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR-7500 MRAC Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NPM108, Mar 4, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got round to plugging in the SR7500 and unfortunately the MRAC didn't want to know.

Passes the Ambinet Noise - Okay - Does the speaker level -Ok Does the speaker size - OK but when it gets the distance it says Speaker Set Error which according to the manual - Speakers not set correctly.

I've checked them again and seems fine, I also noted that in the manual it says sometimes fails on speaker distance and to set manually. I'm wondering whether this was because unfortunately in my room my seating position is right underneath my rear three surround speakers.

I even tried moving the MIC further forward but it still fails which is odd. Any ideas.....??

Have set things manually for now but somehow I still feel something is lacking.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Very odd this, it could be that the MRAC is finding it difficult to set the distance due to the height of your speakers, but still strange. might be an idea to set the distance manually and re-check the levels with an SPL meter.

Also check the level the sub has been set at, my speakers were set almost perfectly, apart from the sub, it was set a bit too low, so I set it a bit higher (overcooked it a little as I prefer a nice kick in the lower frequencies). It also set my SBL and SBR speakers to large when they are tiny sats :confused: so I changed that to small, and sounds superb :) :D

3. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kazman,

Thanks for the tips. I will try this weekend with a tripod (nifty idea putting a tripod mount!!) and see how it goes, for now have set things manually.

Still haven't found a decent SPL meter here in Malta. Any ideas of an online site carrying them?

4. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MRAC worked for me flawlessly. The only point was that it situated the sub further away than it really was.
    Regards.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hiya Henry

Hows the amp working out for you? Did you get the SR8500 or the SR7500 again? I can't remember which one you bought.

6. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got he SR7500. I couldn't justify to myself the price hike apparently just for a DVI switching I don't need. Of course, later I learnt that there were more significant differences, like the misquoted power output. Nonetheless, I am quite happy. The proof is in the pudding, and now I actually want to listen to my CD collection on the NAD521. Before, I just couldn’t find much difference between the Pio 656 DVD player and the CD player. That is the most important difference for me as I stated from the start. However, the improvement is evident whatever I throw at it, movies, musical DVDs or high-resolution music. It also seems to me that integrates the subwoofer better into my system, despite the MRAC error. And it achieves one of my initial parameters, detailed reproduction of music, although bi-amping probably has some influence on this.
    There is something that bothers me, though I don’t know if I am being a prick or there’s another weak link in my system. I am under the impression that it has trouble resolving complex music at high volume levels, not that I indulge often in them if I want to have good relations with my neighbours.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    All depends on what speakers you are driving too I guess. What are you using with the SR7500?

The Quads are ok up to about -5db, don't really put a foot wrong for their price class, I wouldnt dare put it much higher though, it is painfully loud as it is at -5db, my normal listening level is about -15 to -10db for movies when the neighbours are out or during the weekend at mid day, and -20 to -25 when they are in, at night I set it to between -30 and -40, the dialogue still shines through at low volumes which is a great feature of this amp in my opinion :)

8. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am using B&W 601 S3 front speakers, B&W LCR60 S3 centre speaker, B&W DM303 rear speakers. The levels I use are exactly the same as you for the same applications, which I guess says something in our favour from the point of view of our neighbours. Still, at level -10 upwards is where I see the chink in the armour when playing CDs (not DVDs). Though indeed vocals (opera, cantatas) are particularly satisfactory in this amp.
    Regards

9. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say the dialogue on the Amp in movies is superb as your say Kazman even when the volumes are lower. I was surprised at running it around -15 to -20 for movies as with the Yam 630 I had before I never needed to go louder than -25 before it was very loud.

The soundfield from the SR and the KEFs really shines now whereas it didn't before. I like the Circle Surround I think its called with the option to enhance the centre dialogue as well in certain circumstances.

Didn't try again with the MRAC setup though still bit gutted it didn't work for me. Will try again this weekend I hope

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I suspect some heavy rock tunes or rave/dance music may trouble the SR7500 at high levels, but I haven't come across any that have confused it yet. And lets not forget we are still talking about an integrated AV amp here, not a dedicated stereo amp. I'll have to do some very loud listening over the weekend to seeif I can hear what you are hearing :)

Got any example tracks where you notice this behaviour mate?

11. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. I am probably asking too much of an integrated AV receiver. I know I am a prick!
    Examples: try the final chorus of the Beethoven’s 9th symphony for a well known complex piece of music if there ever was.
    Regards

12. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been thinking, which contrary to what my friends say, that's something I do from time to time. My front loudspeakers are rated at 100W. Maybe what I am asking too much is from the speakers.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Think you have hit the nail on the head there my friend :D

14. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I listened (rather than watched) LOR: The Returno of the King extended edition yesterday. What an experience! Terrific film! Better than the theatrical release that it looked to me unfinished (I remember that I went to Portugal in December 2003 to watch it in its original English).
    The SR7500 got pretty warm, but acceptable. At level -15 dB, terrific inmersive experience.
    Not to be missed either is the Cameron Duncan story and short films in the 4th DVD.
    Regards

15. Menelaos

Menelaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    henrydiez,

Are your DM601 fronts bi-wired? I have about the same setup as you (SR7500+DM601 S3+ASW600), but my fronts arent bi-wired and i'm wondering if it would make a big difference in stereo music playing.

And I noticed the same effect as you when turning up the volume into positive dB's, so it is probably because of the DM601's. But they sound great at normal listening levels!

Greetz,

Menel.

16. henrydiez

henrydiez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I have my 601's bi-amped using the surround back channels in mode C of the SR7500, which is better than bi-wired. I can't comment on how much of an improvement is over no bi-amping because I had them installed in this way from the start, but according to the experts, there is an important difference and the availability of bi-amping was a criteria a used when choosing the amp.
    Regards.

17. saaliqeh

saaliqeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi NPM108,
    I have just purchased an SR 7500. I've had exactly the same problem as you when trying to use the MRAC for autosetup. Tried it a few times and always seems to fail on the distance calibration. Not quite sure why either.
    Let me know if you ever find a solution. :rolleyes:
    I set it up manually without too much trouble, have been very impressed with it so far.

18. _Cal_

_Cal_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This calibration problem sounds to me like echo ... cho ... ho ... o.

My guess is that the amp puts out a tone pulse and measures the time until it reaches the mike. If the replicas keep coming, then there is a chance that it cannot determine the distance.

Just a wild guess. Do you guys (that are having this problem) have empty or echoing rooms?

19. saaliqeh

saaliqeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cal,
    You could be right, we've just moved into a new house. The AV set-up is in a medium sized room with wooden floors and bare walls. Would some sort of floor/wall coverings correct this then for MRAC aut-setup? :confused:

20. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cal I think you've found the problem!! My Room is semi open plan in that its 46m2 in all with an open door and then the kitchen as a separate room but has an open archway. There isn't too much furniture the in main viewing room which is approx 6.2m x 4m with tiles as flooring and two large 5m total sliding windows/doors (French Windows) which have blinds and no curtains.

There's def a bit of an echo in the room in fact I was wanting to put some kind of sound insulatation once I sorted out some heavy set curtains. Our walls are sandstone so I don't have dry wall either, with the one external wall being of a hollow concrete breezeblock type.

I did the manual setup and its working fine so its good to know the issue I'm having and also saaliqeh is most likely caused by the echo :D

21. purkiss

purkiss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an SR8500 and used to do the MRAC calibration with no problem at all. I tried doing a calibration again lately and i am encountering the speaker distance error as well.
    The room is still the same as it was before with the speakers and listening position still the same.

I managed to pass the speaker distance test by switching off the sub. Most probably i shifted the sub position just a little bit during cleaning and that is causing some echoing effect. :oops:

Bass Traps might solve this problem.

22. chargen

chargen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I bought an SR-5002 recently and gave the MRAC setup a go. It failed the first couple of times so I just put in manual settings, but today I dug into it a bit further. Increasing the level of my sub (on it's internal amp) did the trick.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, it set my sub at 22.3' away when it was, in fact 11' - same as the front speakers. manually corrected that and all was perfect after.

Thanks again!

-Pete