Squid Game (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review! It's been on my watchlist but kept postponing watching it. Will check it out this weekend.

I finished this the other night and have mixed feelings.
Great idea, even if it's very, very familiar territory.

The first few episodes are excellent - gripping and inventive, but I thought that it really felt stretched after that. It would have made a great two hour film.

Also, it features some of the worst acting in the history of acting towards the end.
Don't read the spoiler if you haven't seen it.
The VIPs. Oh dear. Absolutely awful!

I read somewhere that the English subtitles has been watered down significantly that it changes the actual meaning.

Unmissable but only 8/10????

That aside, I concur brilliant TV and so much different from everything else.

I was wondering what the hell I was watching until the end of the first episode then....wow...I was hooked.

Last episode and as going awry for a short period but came round in the end.

Great series, the second half lost me a little after the first half was so brilliant but mostly I wish that
we never saw him turn around at the end, I'd have rather it cut and left it as a cliffhanger

Probably would have been improved by reducing the runtime by a couple of episodes but it’s a refreshing, stylish, emotionally charged take on ideas explored in movies such as Battle Royale, Escape Room etc.

Thanks Cas for the review. I binged this and really enjoyed it. Hopefully a season 2 is on its way. I mean, seriously!

I'd like to check this out once the English subtitles have been updated or improved based on that dude who has tweeted out some examples. I know from watching Bollywood how bad eng subs can be in terms of losing the original meaning or impact.

not sure if they just go overly careful on subs, i'm watching Sisyphus at the mo and even given the worst situation encountered, the worst a character says is "gosh!" :-D

I watched it all last week and really enjoyed it. Not that I knew any different, but the Eng subs didn't distract anything for me?

Thought it looked fantastic and it has made me look for similar shows. Started Alice in Borderland last night as a few have said that's a good watch as well.

I finished this the other night and have mixed feelings.
Great idea, even if it's very, very familiar territory.

The first few episodes are excellent - gripping and inventive, but I thought that it really felt stretched after that. It would have made a great two hour film.

Also, it features some of the worst acting in the history of acting towards the end.
Don't read the spoiler if you haven't seen it.
The VIPs. Oh dear. Absolutely awful!
Ironically the bad acting was from the Westerners but the main cast were solid.

Ironically the bad acting was from the Westerners but the main cast were solid.

I am wondering if it's a cultural thing.

It's quite common that Westerners are made look to like a comedy piece in Indian movies. You can see the cast mocking Westerners and their culture blatantly. In the Western world, I think its called cultural appropriation.

Btw, before anyone jumps the gun, I am from Southern India.

I am wondering if it's a cultural thing.

It's quite common that Westerners are made look to like a comedy piece in Indian movies. You can see the cast mocking Westerners and their culture blatantly. In the Western world, I think its called cultural appropriation.

Btw, before anyone jumps the gun, I am from Southern India.
Yes I've noticed this too, I suppose it's more just stereotypes as well. Kinda like the way Hollywood stereotypes Arabs/Russians/Asians.

Yes I've noticed this too, I suppose it's more just stereotypes as well. Kinda like the way Hollywood stereotypes Arabs/Russians/Asians.

Exactly and I don't take any offense when they do that. Never bothered me but the woke brigade might find them to be super offensive.

Loved this. I wasn't expecting much, as I'd somehow avoided the hype until after seeing it, but it hooked me from the start. The Atmos + HDR presentation was pretty decent too.

It also reminded me how much I like Korean cinema. I may have to go on a binge soon...

binged it - loved it - watched the english dubbed version as i cant stand reading a programme but the dubbed version was fine for me

amazed if a season 2 isnt a given

dolby vision and atmos track were both good

9/10 for me and the best korean show on netflix for me save for the "zombie" show

Phenomenal!

binged it - loved it - watched the english dubbed version as i cant stand reading a programme but the dubbed version was fine for me

amazed if a season 2 isnt a given

dolby vision and atmos track were both good

9/10 for me and the best korean show on netflix for me save for the "zombie" show
keep pimping them on other threads but try "School Nurse Files" and "Bring It On, Ghost" if you like the Korean style and sense of humour/cuteness/silliness/horror.

Great review and I really enjoyed this show from start to finish personally for me a 9. If anyone likes this do check out some of the other Korean films and series on Netflix there are a few good ones on at the moment.

Any particular recommendations? :D
Sisyphus The Myth on Netflix. The characters are far more engaging than Squid Game. Might not to be everyone’s taste since it is about time travel but I found it to be superb. Funny and true at various times.

I’ve watched four episodes of Squid Game and it’s just not doing it for me. Apart from the old man as a comic relief I don’t see much of interest here. There’s lots of shooting and it seems to be saying people can be self centred and greedy. Wow, shock!

Sisyphus The Myth on Netflix. The characters are far more engaging than Squid Game. Might not to be everyone’s taste since it is about time travel but I found it to be superb. Funny and true at various times.
Brilliant - thanks. Time travel/sci-fi's very much to my taste. I'll give it a watch, once I've got through this season of Billions and then (finally!) Succession.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom