Squeezebox touch integration?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Quick question. Is the SB Touch basically a standalone unit or can it be used in conjuction with the SB duet remote control.

I know they could probably use the same server but can say the LCD remote be used with the Touch?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Squeezebox Controller can certainly be used with a Touch - in fact all the Squeezebox players as it's sending commands to the Squeezebox Server which then decides what the players should do.

(The only point to note is that the Duet Receiver can provide a wi-fi access point for the Controller if you don't have any other wi-fi infrastructure in place. The Touch can't do that).

Last edited:

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply.
I like the Touch but if you are sitting in a comfy chair, a fair distance from the small screen, which would be next to the receiver, I was wondering how you could see which tracks to select. The remote that is supplied with the Touch looks like it assumes you are reading the display at the same time.

In fact, although I have never used either, it does puzzle me why the screen is not on the remote?

Quick question.
If I use the Touch as a server with a hard disk or memory stick, can I still use the Duet remote to control it and see what tracks are in the HDD?

Last edited:

Mr_Sukebe

The Touch does have the option to change the display, e.g. artwork, text only. Personally I don't have an issue reading it from around 2-3m. At a distance of say 5m, might be an issue.

In addition to the SB controller, there is an app called Ipeng that's available for the Iphone, which looks very smart and is easy to use. It's available for £6 from the AppleStore. Do be aware that if you're using the SBT standalone (ie. directly connected to a USB HDD), that it'll certainly work, but it's not as responsive as if hosted on say a PC. Personally I feel the compromise on responsiveness is acceptable, though I'm sure someone will moan.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
The Touch as a large font 'skin' which you can select to appear when commands are received from the IR remote. I'd say it was visible at a decent distance...

>Quick question.<
Yes, the Controller works with the Sqeezebox Server in the Touch itself.

In fact, you can play about to the nth degree. I've had the Player in the Touch is streaming from a music server on my network, while the Server in the Touch is connected to its USB disk and streaming music to the beta Player in the Controller, while the Touch's player is being controlled by the Controller. All clear ;)

Last edited:

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"I like the Touch but if you are sitting in a comfy chair, a fair distance from the small screen..."

Probably do most of my listening like this I can read the display on the Touch from about 3.5m, but much prefer to use an Iphone with Ipeng. An Android app is also available. Of course you need Wifi in the area for these to work well.
Another alternative might be to use a Windows netbook/laptop with Moose. I've never really liked the standard server gui.
I used to have an SB Classic (SB3) in this location and it has a much more readable screen at that distance (readable at up to 5m ). They still pop up on E-bay pretty regularly.

"it does puzzle me why the screen is not on the remote?"

I'm guessing cost is a major factor.

socistep

"I like the Touch but if you are sitting in a comfy chair, a fair distance from the small screen..."

Probably do most of my listening like this I can read the display on the Touch from about 3.5m, but much prefer to use an Iphone with Ipeng. An Android app is also available. Of course you need Wifi in the area for these to work well.
Another alternative might be to use a Windows netbook/laptop with Moose. I've never really liked the standard server gui.
I used to have an SB Classic (SB3) in this location and it has a much more readable screen at that distance (readable at up to 5m ). They still pop up on E-bay pretty regularly.

"it does puzzle me why the screen is not on the remote?"

I'm guessing cost is a major factor.

I use both the IR remote and iPeng. I use the IR remote on both by Touch and Duet that are downstairs, its quite usable and use it to navigate tracks, search, flick between favourites and now playing etc. - I'm only a couple of metres from the Touch and with the large skin its easy to see for me. Its also ideal to control if I get a phone call or are doing something else on my iPhone :)

For iPeng I use more when I want a quicker & fuller control, e.g. controlling playlists, syncing devices - it also has the edge for 'showing off to friends'.

However I think the IR remote is great, that and the touch screen mean you don't have to buy a seperate controller/iphone and can work the system really well without any additional cost, this option is a big plus for Squeezebox over Sonos where you have to have a seperate controller or iPhone

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"It all comes down to cost. How much functionality can you afford?"

All of it. We are talking about the Touch here, Duet is the exception.
The included IR remote does everything, the Touch screen does everything. Obviously PC server set ups and i/net accounts set up need a pc, etc. I'm pretty sure I set my Touch up without even unwrapping the remote and didn't touch the PC as I already had a mature Squeeze ecosystem well established.

Iphone and Android apps just add comfort.:)
It all works great with my Harmony as well.:cool:

socistep

"It all comes down to cost. How much functionality can you afford?"

All of it. We are talking about the Touch here, Duet is the exception.
The included IR remote does everything, the Touch screen does everything. Obviously PC server set ups and i/net accounts set up need a pc, etc. I'm pretty sure I set my Touch up without even unwrapping the remote and didn't touch the PC as I already had a mature Squeeze ecosystem well established.

Iphone and Android apps just add comfort.:)
It all works great with my Harmony as well.:cool:

Agree.

The IR remote is also quicker in a lot of cases to do simple tasks, it also doesn't mean my iPhone battery drains at a rate of knots!

Nothing against the seperate controllers/iphone solutions - but the OP asked whether the Touch is standalone and the answer is yes, the IR remote will work very well for the majority of users, I was pleasantly surprised when I bought the Touch about how usable it was, buttons to to navigate direct to 'Favourites', 'Now Playing' & 'menu' are good and when its combined with the large skin which comes up by default it is usable from a longer distance

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
Plus all the IR remotes are interchangeable with each other, the same remote will work the Boom, SB3, Touch, etc. Only the Receiver actually needs a wifi remote. Before Ipeng, the IR remote was my weapon of choice for about 4 years.
The same Harmony codes are obviously cross device as well.

"it also doesn't mean my iPhone battery drains at a rate of knots!"

If your not using it, put it face down on something and some battery life is saved, Coolio added a feature to use the proximity sensor in the phone to shut off the display. Pick it up and it springs back into life instantly.:smashin:

socistep

Plus all the IR remotes are interchangeable with each other, the same remote will work the Boom, SB3, Touch, etc. Only the Receiver actually needs a wifi remote. Before Ipeng, the IR remote was my weapon of choice for about 4 years.
The same Harmony codes are obviously cross device as well.

"it also doesn't mean my iPhone battery drains at a rate of knots!"

If your not using it, put it face down on something and some battery life is saved, Coolio added a feature to use the proximity sensor in the phone to shut off the display. Pick it up and it springs back into life instantly.:smashin:

yeah I have noticed that which is pretty nifty, thanks Coolio!

I'm on an iphone 3g so a bit behind the times, believe the iphone 4 has a better battery life.

coolio107

I'm on an iphone 3g so a bit behind the times, believe the iphone 4 has a better battery life.
Indeed.
iPod 4, however, seems to have issues. I have seen several reports now that it never stops the WiFi connection (even with no Apps running at all) and heavily drains the battery.

When using iPeng, please upgrade to 1.2.8, 1.2.7 keeps running draining the battery.
Just saw a (new) comment on the App Store from somebody with 1.2.7 (you can see that in the comments) complaining about the battery drain.... the 1.2.8 update has been out for a few weeks now, though, so there _is_ a fix...

alan sh

Personally, I use Squeezeplay on my laptop. Seems to do everything I need and I can be browsing, writing reports, doing facebook stuff etc all from the comfort of my lounge.

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom