Squeezebox Touch Buffering

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by MrClive, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MrClive

MrClive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a SB Touch and Boom running set up with an old desktop that running vortexbox software / LMS server. I've also added Spotify on this LMS with the Triode 3rd party plug in so that the Boom can run Spotify.

I've noticed buffering problems when using Spotify on both the Touch and the Boom.

I've also noticed the BBC Radio App being slow to initially connect it and also experiences buffering problems.

The SB Touch also seems to be wanting to update software 2-3 times a week, which is really annoying.

I've tried restoring the SB Touch to factory setting and removed the Triode software from the Vortexbox LMS. I've re-installed just official Spotify app (without the Vortexbox being on) and it still buffers.

The same issue continues with the BBC Radio App being slow to connect and buffers (on both the Touch and Boom).

Any suggestions on what I can do to rectify this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    What is the connection type to Touch and Boom?
    Wireless or Wired ?
    If Wireless , what type , G or N.

What is the spec of the PC.

Both Boom and Touch have a habit of running through an update cycle in an attempt to fix a bad connection sometimes , fix the connection issues , and that goes away. Just in case though , what version number of The logitech software is installed on each device ?

3. MrClive

MrClive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Connection type of both is wireless, although the problem started when the Touch was originally wired.

Not sure on type G or N. How do I check (sorry to be a numpty)

I'll have a look at the software versions on both

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Im running both a Touch and a Boom myself.

Originally both were running off a Readynas Duo NAS box. This had a Sparc processor , and simply wasnt powerful enough to keep a steady data flow to the devices , especially when everything had Album art loaded.

I moved up to a Readynas Ultra with Dual Atom processor , this improved things a lot , but still the odd bout of buffering and dropouts.

Now Im running a HP proliant microserver with 8GB of ram , and it all runs like a dream.

So , while LMS doesnt need a massive spec PC to run , it wont run on any old thing either. So please detail the spec of the PC.

The network connection is important too. Wireless G type has a max limit of 54gbps but in practice and with conditions that vary in the home , can end up being much much lower than that , and if your dropping very low , Squeezboxes will buffer and struggle.
    So , your wireless point , the device that is transmitting , your router or whatever , what is the model type and number ?

You said you have problems when the unit was wired?
    That being the case then the network card in the computer must be a low spec ?
    What type was it ,e.g Fast Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet , and by any chance were you using homeplugs ?
    Were there any other devices like switches or hubs in the chain between the PC and your Squeezbox ?

5. MrClive

MrClive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me,

Not sure of the spec of the PC.

As it's had Vortexbox software installed on it (wiping out windows software on it) I'm not sure how to get this. But according to the bagde it's a Compaq Prestario with a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz.

However the problem did still occur when not using the PC (just using the Spotify App on MySB.com).

I'm using a Virgin Superhub 30Meg connection, so getting approx 24 down on the older wireless cards, approx 29Mbt directly connected.

The PC is directly connected to the superhub via Ethernet.

Squeezeboxes are connected wireless to the Superhub no home plugs.

Sofware versions on the Touch is 7.7.2. r9663
    Mysqueezebox.com is SS r33983, SNR 11822

Not sure how to find the software update on the Boom (I could find it was running firmware 57 if that helps)

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Try increasing the radio streaming buffer capacity in the LMS settings. TBH, sounds like your broadband isn't that consistent.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  7. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Agree with Amcluesent, increasing the radio buffer helps, also go to the performance tab and increase the server priority, mine is set to -16 (high). If you have enough RAM (1GB or more) you can also increase the database memory config to high. I use a similar spec machine for my vortexbox (P4, 1.5GB RAM) connected by wired 100Mbps to the router and then wireless to my Squeezeplay. I have no problems streaming BBC radio or Spotify over a G wireless network though the signal doesn't have to travel far and I get a reported 54Mbps connection. My broadband however only runs at 4Mbps. If you do increase the radio buffer size you will have to wait for it to fill the buffer before it will play so do not be surprised if you get a few moments of silence before you hear anything.

I found the Triode Spoitfy plugin to be much better than the official plugin but make sure you uninstall the official one first, before you put in the Triode version.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. MrClive

MrClive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply

What's the best way to check the consistency of the broadband, so that it can be either identified or ruled out.

9. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    speedtest.net and pingtest.net

Speedtest will test the speed pingtest tests the quality

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,219
    Do you have any buffering issues when streaming locally stored music or only with radio & Spotify?

11. MrClive

MrClive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a quick test on Speed test using Liverpool (I'm in Birmingham)

Ping 62ms
    Down 25.90Mbps
    Upload 3.04

Pingtest.net going via Milton Keynes 3x tests

Packet loss 0%
    Ping 19ms
    Jitter 4ms

Packet loss 0%
    Ping 21
    Jitter 5ms

Packet loss 0%
    Ping 19
    Jitter 4ms

12. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    That result is more than good enough to stream without buffering so I would look to your LMS setup and increase the buffer sizes as recommended above. Obvious question - have you re-booted your router recently? I get perfect streaming on a 4Mbps contended connection but had to increase buffer sizes to make it stable.

13. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
  14. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Just read the link that Amcluesent put up and it would appear you are having problems with your basic Vortexbox setup. The easiest way to solve that is backup your music files using the Vortexbox backup routine - log into your VB using the VB IP Address (192.168.X.X) from a browser on another PC on the network and select backup. Once you are sure you have a good backup then download VB2.1, burn an ISO CD and reload your VB from scratch. The log back into your VB and restore your music using the VB restore.

You will probably find that most of your problems will have magically disappeared and everything will work. Still worth changing the buffering and database settings as recommended.

15. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I've had buffering issues with my Squeezebox Touch using an ethernet network (via Homeplugs) and locally stored files.

A disk cleanup and defrag sorted out my problem.

Don't know if that was the cause, but I've not had problems since.