Squeezebox Server and Sonos Server simultaneously (+ ideas for small active speakers)

wytco0

Established Member
Reaction score
I am Continuing my search for a audio streaming solution for my new house. I have been looking at Squeezebox (which i use now) and Sonos. I was planning to stick with Squeezebox but they do not seem to have the products I need at the moment as they have discontinued the Boom without a replacement.

I can do everything by moving to Sonos but its and expensive solution and I think that the Touch is a better product that the connect for my main hifi system (Lyngdorf/Quad electrostaics). So I am thinking of using both with a single touch and a number of Play 3 and 5s for the rest of the house. I know that this means I wont be able to sync to all systems but this isnt a problem for my HiFi system.

Does anyone run both of these systems together? My music library is FLAC on a NAS. Do both servers run together without any problems?

Last question, the touch with a couple of simple Active speakers would be a decent solution for a quality sound system in a smaller room, are there any decent quality small active speakers that I should be investigating?? is might give me a way of staying Squeezebox only.

Thanks

"Does anyone run both of these systems together? My music library is FLAC on a NAS. Do both servers run together without any problems?"

I looked into this a while ago as well, SB user looking at 'upgrading' to Sonos.

Coolio, the Ipeng guy does, and he reported he was annoyed by having two sets of controllers etc. The two system co-exist happily together in technical terms though. Its also annoying to use the subtly different mechanisms for choosing music, building playlists etc.

In terms of active speakers. I use Audioengine A3s and Acoustic Energy AegoMs on a couple of my Squeezeboxes. The Aego is better with louder bassy music,dance, rock, etc the Audioengine set up is better with more detailed subtler sounds like classical, acoustic etc. The Aego sub/amp unit is quite big, about the size of a large shoebox, the Audioengines are much more compact about the size of a typical shelf mount speaker. They both sound great and hit the sweet spot for me in terms of value for money/quality trade off. More expensive and much cheaper solutions exist in active studio monitors, and decent PC speakers.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom