• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

squeezebox questions

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
I currently have a PC streaming music to my xbox 360 but the need for the noisy computer to be on all the time and slight hassle with playing it on the 360 means my wife isn't getting as much use out of it as I'd hoped.

So I've decided to go with a simpler, sleaker and more wife and family friendly system and it looks like a squeezebox with a NAS is the answer. I have a few questions though if anyone is able to help please.

I currently have a wired network to the 360, my pc and the upstairs PC. This uses 3 of the 4 ports on my router and attached to my NTL cable modem. Using this linksys router.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005KAC7/026-1077321-4070805?v=glance&n=560798

If I was to buy 2 squeezeboxs and a NAS I assume I would need a total of 6 ports. What is the easiest solution to this? Do I need an extra router type thing?

The other option would be to swap to a wireless router keeping my current wires and adding the nas wired but setting up the 2 squeezeboxs wirelessly. Is this the router I need? Can I connect 4 wired and 2 wireless devices to that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...-8961421?v=glance&n=560798&s=gateway&v=glance

secondly the second sqeezebox would be used my mum who currently listens to music on a 30 pound DVD player through the TV I thought it would be nice to set up a decent way for her to listen to music. She has no stereo, can anyone recommend any decent but cheap powered speakers that would work with the squeezebox and sound better than using the TV speakers.

Finally if I buy some wireless headphones, is there a remote button to switch over to headphone playback? or does pushing headphones into the headphone socket disable the other forms of playback? Me being disabled means access to the rear of the squeezebox isn't easy for me so I wouldn't be wanting to put something into the back of the player every time I wanted to use headphones.

thanks for your help.

andrew1810

I'll try and answer them:

1) Yes, the 2 Squeezebox's and a NAS would need 3 extra points, simply buy a hub or switch (switch would be better) and plug it into the router (You'll probably need a crossover cable for this) and it will give extra ports.

2) A wireless router would be another option, but your amazon link isn't working

3) Speakers - check out Edirol speakers, I found them to be excellent
For smaller ones, the Acoustic Energy AEGO M's are also very good sounding

4) I'll have to check that for you when I get back tonight, I have a feeling it will come out of both the headphones and analogue outputs so you would simply switch the speakers off

Any other questions, just let me know

For the compatible NAS boxes, I have put them on here: www.audiofi.co.uk/reviews (with instructions where necessary)

Hope this helps

Andrew

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
Many Thanks Andrew,

I fixed my links, copying my post into word to spellcheck must have killed them.

Replacing my router with a wireless one (assuming it can do 4 wired + 2 wireless devices at the same time) sounds the better solution. A NAS, modem, Router and switch on the desk would be a bit messy.

I'll have a look into the speakers you recommend and the NAS link is very helpful.

Would appreciate you checking the headphones if possible please as I wouldn't bother buying any if they automatically stop the sound from my speakers. Ideally as you say I could just turn my amp off.

Thanks again

andrew1810

That wireless router should work fine and as long as the NAS is wired, the Squeezebox's are more than happy to work wirelessly (as long as the distance isn't too far, as with all wireless devices)

I'll try the headphone port as soon as I get in tonight and get back to you.

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
andrew1810 said:
I've just tried it and the sound came out both headphones and amp, so looks like you're ok there!

Many Thanks, I just need to decide weather to go wired or Wireless then and I'm ready to buy.

Both sets of speakers you recommended looked great, in your opinion which would give the better sound quality, the 2 bookshelf speakers or the 2 satalites + the subwoofer of the Acoustic Energys? They are both a similar price of 100 pounds.

andrew1810

It depends on your own tastes really, the Edirol's are quite neutral, but also fairly bassy where as the Acoustic Energy ones are more forward on the treble

Both are excellent, I would say the Edirol's are slightly better in terms of sound quality, but there really isn't much in it (the Acoustic Energy speakers are smaller and look nicer though)

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
Just taken the plunge and ordered the 2 Black wireless squeezeboxs + the 300GB Qnap NAS from ripcaster.co.uk.

Should I be connecting the squeezebox to my amp with a digital or analogue connection? my amp is a Yamaha 757SE which was just under 400 pounds around 6 months ago.

All the reviews seem to comment on how good the DAC (Digital analogue converter?) is. I assume that means it will make a better job of it than my av amp and I should connect via analogue? or will it matter very little?

If anyone knows which would be best so I can order the cables this morning that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

shane515

Noggin1980 said:
Just taken the plunge and ordered the 2 Black wireless squeezeboxs + the 300GB Qnap NAS from ripcaster.co.uk.

Should I be connecting the squeezebox to my amp with a digital or analogue connection? my amp is a Yamaha 757SE which was just under 400 pounds around 6 months ago.

If anyone knows which would be best so I can order the cables this morning that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Noggin

I have the same amp as yourself, when I initially set up my squeezebox2 I trialed both but settled for the digital connection, sounds great :thumbsup:, if it helps my set-up is wireless.

Shane

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom