squeezebox boom?

gr0uty

Really would like one of these as it seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I want but I can't find it anywhere and the sellers on amazon are taking the pee with inflated prices (im sure it was 200 rrp) Are there any other alternatives to this sort of all in one unit? I like the look of the sonos stuff but its pricy.

Last edited:

MaturityDodger

It's discontinued, and has been replaced (sort of) by the Squeezebox Radio.

Radio has various enhancements in technology, features, usability and portability over the Boom, but has taken a step back in end-product audio quality: amplification and speakers. It doesn't have the stereo speakers of the Boom, but you could argue that that's not too important as an all-in-one unit has its speakers so close together anyway.

If I were to choose between them for a little kitchen unit, I'd probably want a Boom too.
I can see the point of the Radio though, it can be battery powered so could be taken out to the garden or shed, as my wireless goes that far.

Last edited:

gr0uty

audioenthusiast said:
It's discontinued, and has been replaced (sort of) by the Squeezebox Radio.

Radio has various enhancements in technology, features, usability and portability over the Boom, but has taken a step back in end-product audio quality: amplification and speakers. It doesn't have the stereo speakers of the Boom, but you could argue that that's not too important as an all-in-one unit has its speakers so close together anyway.

If I were to choose between them for a little kitchen unit, I'd probably want a Boom too.
I can see the point of the Radio though, it can be battery powered so could be taken out to the garden or shed, as my wireless goes that far.

I thought that may be the case,shame. I think the radio wouldn't do as I want to use it in the lounge as well. I think I might save up for some Sonos stuff.

MaturityDodger

You could get a Duet and an amp and speakers?

Or you could get two SB Radios. I'm pretty sure that while usually the single speaker carries a mono (L+R combined) signal, you can configure it to carry just left or just right. Do that and sync them, and you have proper stereo. This way, you can achieve better channel separation than a Boom (or any other single-unit device) too.
They do sync well, so don't worry about timing being out.

Not sure how much Sonos costs, or how the above options compare to it in price. Your choice really.

gr0uty

audioenthusiast said:
You could get a Duet and an amp and speakers?

Or you could get two SB Radios. I'm pretty sure that while usually the single speaker carries a mono (L+R combined) signal, you can configure it to carry just left or just right. Do that and sync them, and you have proper stereo. This way, you can achieve better channel separation than a Boom (or any other single-unit device) too.
They do sync well, so don't worry about timing being out.

Not sure how much Sonos costs, or how the above options compare to it in price. Your choice really.

Had a look at the sonos play 3 at lunch and was fairly impressed. I like the fact that I can buy the one and then add to it when I can afford more. Sonos are currently doing the play 3 and bridge for 259.00 which seems like a fair price.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind you need a controller for it (smartphone or Sonos controller), you may also need a zone bridge adaptor, unless you can hardwire it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom