Squeezebox and PS3 Playing from QNAP

fatdaz

Standard Member
Hi

I have an old Squeezebox 3 which I use to play music stored on a QNAP TS-209 Pro. I have squeezebox server configured to use my iTunes library and most of the music is in mp3 format. The squeezebox is wired to the QNAP via a 1Gb switch and I also have a PS3 wired to the same switch.

When I serve music via squeeze centre to the squeezebox I frequently get songs stopping while the squeezebox displays "Rebuffering" which I presume is because the QNAP CPU is being overloaded but I never get any problems playing the same music via the PS3 using the Twonky server on the QNAP. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just because the QNAP isn't man enough to run the Squeezecentre code?

I could just use the PS3 but the Squeezebox is much easier to use, search etc, the sound quality is better and, most importantly, my wife has finally learned how to use it.

Thanks

larkone

Distinguished Member
There were some reports of something similar to this on the Logitech forums and the solution was to replace the switch with a router as this handles network traffic better than a switch - worth a try if you have one.

Though I would make sure you have the latest firmware in your NAS (there was an upgrade issued on the 25th Nov) and try increasing the server priority in the squeezecentre settings

fatdaz

Standard Member
I'll have a look what I can find. Do you know how to change the server priority? I can't find the performance settings

larkone

Distinguished Member
I can only help on Logitech Media server but should be the same - settings/advanced tab/performance drop down/server priority

fatdaz

Standard Member
PS3, QNAP and SB are all connected to the same router. I've changed the server priority so I'll see what happens

larkone

Distinguished Member
Are you doing anything else, possibly with the PS3, whilst listening to music that could could require moving data through your router. This will also affect throughput of your music data

fatdaz

Standard Member
Nothing else going on at the same time.

A little more investigation has turned up that it seems to be struggling on M4A files not MP3 - the wife has ripped a bunch of CDs with iTunes and they are M4A. I can;t say for definite that the problem is only occurring with M4A but that was certainly the case last night.

Does the SB3 natively play M4A or is squeezebox server on the QNAP having to recode them on the fly? I know the QNAP doesn't have much in the way of CPU grunt.

Stone Free

Sorry, quick correction. It's actually a TS-219P
I find that strange as I have the same NAS, and I am using the Squeezebox classic to stream FLAC over wireless and it plays without any gaps in playback what so ever, so you would have though MP4 would be a walk in the park!

larkone

Distinguished Member
I find that strange as I have the same NAS, and I am using the Squeezebox classic to stream FLAC over wireless and it plays without any gaps in playback what so ever, so you would have though MP4 would be a walk in the park!

It works because the squeezebox supports flac. It doesn't support M4A so the Qnap would need to transcode the files to a suitable format which is why Fatdaz is having a problem.

Fatdaz you need to convert your M4A files to something the Squeezebox can support.
Try dbPoweramp

Last edited:

Stone Free

It works because the squeezebox supports flac. It doesn't support M4A so the Qnap would need to transcode the files to a suitable format which is why Fatdaz is having a problem.

Fatdaz you need to convert your M4A files to something the Squeezebox can support.
Try dbPoweramp
Mmm, I also have M4A files and I can't remember having problems with them either.

I will try testing some on the weekend.

fatdaz

Standard Member
Apologies for the delay - went away on holiday for a few weeks and then forgot about this until the weekend.

I've not seen the issue again, either on M4A or MP3 files, since changing the server priority in Squeezebox server

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom