1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeezebox Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have decided to wire in my Slimdevices Squeezebox and try using it again. I gave up using it wireless as it kept dropping out and jumping. Hopefully hardwiring it will solve these issues as I find it a great little device. My question is. I will be running it through a DAC and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to a choice of Amp. I usually use NAD but as I can't take the Squeezebox along to audition prospective amp's I wondered if anyone had experience of what works well with it. Budget upto £500.

Many Thanks

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Well I use mine via the digital out to my av32 and then into a Roksan power amp... Not sure what to suggest really as you are going to be pushing it through a DAC.

Maybe work on the principal of matching the amp to the DAC rather then the squeezebox ?

Matt

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Mike

My squeezebox use to drop out and in the end, I hardwired it. However, I recently upgraded my wireless network and part of it was a firmware upgrade for my Netgear 801.11b accesspoint. It totally resolved the issue and I now use wireless all the time, although now I have moved to 801.11g, until I decide it is worth splitting my 'b' and 'g' networks again, the Squeezebox is handled by my 'g' router.

It may be worth checking for router updates to see if this fixes your dropout problem.

-Ian

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Ian,

I have used both the MP101 and the squeezebox wireless, with the same result. I have used all the current updates and the system tells me the signal strength is good so I believe it is something to do with local conditions (in house) and something external causing the problem.
    I have all the necessary cable so it's going to be easier just to hardwire.
    Since I stopped using the squeezebox I've found I don't listen to half as much music as I did. It must be having to ACTUALLY get up and put a cd in the player LOL.
    I've just ordered one of the new D-Link DSM-320's so that will be taking the place of the Squeezebox, if it turns out to be anygood.