Squeezebox & Active Speakers for small Living room

wacker293

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im in the market for some speakers to accompany my squeezebox classic for a small living room.

i was thinking along the lines of these

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/99

do you think they will be ok for a living room or do you guys have any suggestions?!

I used to have a set of the AEs and they do a much better job than their size suggests. I'm not a fan of 2.1 setups in smallish rooms though

Unless you're really pushed for space I'd recommend Audioengine A5s. Have a read of some of the reviews and you'll see that they are very highly regarded generally.

I have this one and I used to have the smaller Audioengines, the A2.
I though the A2s had a somewhat more balanced sound but distorted more and I prefer the Aego M. They certainly have weaknesses as well, due to the small satellites. These may be more exposed with some types of music than others. They play loud and the size of the room is not a big problem although they would benefit from a small to medium size room.
I do think overall that 2.1 systems with small satellites are not ideal for music but perform noticeably better with movies.
I think the A5s should be the best of the three and shouldn't have the distortion problem of the A2 as they would play louder anyway.
An advantage of the Audioengines is that they have twin inputs so you can plug your Squeezebox and your TV if you don't have a 5.1.
All 3 systems will have a very big advantage over the standard TV sound.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom