Squeezebox 3 - Setup Clarification

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by TimmyP23, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TimmyP23

TimmyP23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all

I'm on the verge of purchasing the Squeezebox 3 and have been trying to get my head round the setup.

Here's what I'm proposing:

I'll have the SB3 connected wirelessly to my router to which my laptop running the Slimserver will also be connected. I'm planning on hooking up the SB3 to some Acoustic Energy Aego M speakers, however I'm unsure of the best connection. Would a standard 3.5mm cable be sufficient or is there a better method.

I understand you set up the server showing it where all of your music is stored, and can manually input radio stations (that correct?). I'm a subscriber to Last.fm so can I listen to my personal radio through the SB3 using the available plugin? Is that correct?

I think I've got the basics right and apologise if this thread is a waste of space! Just wanted to ensure that I've got my head round the setup before making the purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help / advice.

2. florca

florca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What you're proposing should work just fine (don't know about Last.fm but I know others use it - do a search on the very friendly user forums at www.slimdevices.com if you want more info?). If you want to try out Slimserver then download it and get a feel for the Squeezebox interface by using "Softsqueeze" on any PC or Mac, which emulates a Squeezbox 3 with a few minor restrictions.

The SB3 works just fine with Aego Ms - a perfect and very stylish match. Use a Twin phono / Twin phono lead. If you want to get really fancy then there's a software plugin available ("Ampswitch") which allows you to control the Aego amp power from the squeezebox via a very simple circuit + relay combination.

I'm assuming that the Slimserver / router connection is cable (Ethernet) - this is a better choice, especially if you may add more SB3s.

I can't recommend the Squeezebox highly enough - one of the very few pieces of kit which has wildly exceeded my expectations. High quality, stylish and simple. I have two and am contemplating a couple more. I started off with a Windows XP-based Slimserver but have now moved to a very small Linux file/print/Slimserver system - good luck, I'm sure you won't regret it.

3. TimmyP23

TimmyP23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for that, you've been extremely helpful and I feel a lot more confident now!! Just need to look at re-ripping my CD's in .flac format now as I'm guessing they'll sound a lot better than standard 192k mp3's?

Yeah, the slimserver can be wired to the router, I'm guessing that helps with the upload etc and releases pressure on the wireless network?

Just need to make the jump to purchase now!! The Aego's are on their way already, just hope I'm not going to be disappointed!!

4. Druboo

Druboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    You won't :thumbsup:

It's been said many times and I'll just add to it, my Squeezebox is one of the best pieces of kit I posses.

Once your cd's are ripped to FLAC they can go into storage. I moved house 4 months ago haven't even unpacked my cd's yet. Still in a packing box I hope :eek:

5. TimmyP23

TimmyP23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your guidance. Much appreciated!!

How do standard mp3's sounds through the Squeezbox / Aego's?

I've never had a decent audio setup so fingers crossed my first one works out ok!!

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    >How do standard mp3's sounds through the Squeezbox<

128kbit MP3 sound ghastly as you would expect, 192kbit encoded by LAME is OK, VBR better, 320CBR in LAME is good.

7. TimmyP23

TimmyP23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got plenty of ripping to do then by the sounds of it!!

My SB3 is arriving on Friday, with my new Aego's arriving tomorrow. So I've been messing about with the slimserver software and that softsqueeze software.

Seems pretty good so far - hopefully can get my head round its "workings" before the beast arrives on Friday! So far so good! :thumbsup: