Squeezebox 3 - Best prices thread

stevedster

Hi guys can you please post best prices on the internet for one of these bad boys as I am soon to be investing in one. I am having a bit of trouble finding many places to buy them. thanks...

SBanga

Cheapest I could find was here. Not sure how reliable the company is though.

stevedster

thanks good link that does seem cheap at 180. a bit worried by a statement that says that slim have discontinued all but one of the colour options, not a problem for me as i like the only one left however does this mean Squeezebox 3 is soon to be discontinued itself?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
All the kit is being rebranded as Logitech, so there may be a glitch in the logistics as they clear out the stocks.

stevedster

yup just looked at another site that stated they were discontinued, i might hang around for a few months now, i can see logitech bringing out a squeezebox 4 next year with one of their fancy remotes, that will be excellent and the best of both worlds.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Some companies bend the truth a little and claim this when they have stock issues, just to stop you going elsewhere.

Not saying thats what is going on here, but i saw a couple of large well known retailers pulling this one with the popular Topfield 5800 PVR when there was stock (colour) issues.

There are a few problems with stock at the moment, for example Scan.co.uk are completely out. This is due to the fact that they are amazingly popular right now, yet Slim Devices are a relatively small company (well, that was until the recent Logitech acquisition anyway). Also, they have recently switched production plants so this will have an effect.

However, don't confuse this with the fact that they have discontinued the cheaper wired only version (the wireless can still be used wired).

Also, from what i know and have read, they wont discontinue the SB3 when a new model(s) come out. At least not straight away. They have always planned to have a few products out in a line, rather than being a one trick pony (not forgetting the Transporter of course), the Logitech deal will help them achieve this.

lazymatt

There are a few problems with stock at the moment, for example Scan.co.uk are completely out. This is due to the fact that they are amazingly popular right now, yet Slim Devices are a relatively small company (well, that was until the recent Logitech acquisition anyway). Also, they have recently switched production plants so this will have an effect.

Stock has been a bit hit and miss for the past few months, simply due to the growing popularity of the product. That and SB3 evangelists like yourself, Autopilot, spreading the good word:D

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
LOL, Evangelist! yeah maybe Matt :) But we like to make sure people spend their hard earnt money on the right stuff around here.

But not just SB3's, Sono's too. They are the only 2 devices on the market worth touching IMHO (maybe a Roku as a budget option) :)

But in all honesty i'm no fanboy, i hope someone would make a product as good, i am sick of recommending the same stuff!

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Could be that Logitech's accountants will demand a 'cost engineered' (ie. shoddy) SB4, given that the SB3 is perhaps too good for the generation who think 128k/bit AAC is 'CD quality'.

P.S. I hope I have just snapped up one of the last white, slimdevices, wireless SB3 in the UK. One just wasn't enough :thumbsup:

contraste

Cheapest I could find was here. Not sure how reliable the company is though.

Didn't bother to register with them ti find final price but in their 'contact us' section they state that:

'VAT is charged on all goods sold, at the standard UK rate of 17.5%'

It's not clear if the VAT is added before or after selecting the item to buy.

O

ode17366

Davidsilence. Can you let us know when the goods arrive how the service was for them as that is by far the cheapest price i have seen

davidsilence

Standard Member
will do have not received unit yet, will post update when it arrives, hoping that it is not the wired version wrongly listed!! expecting monday delivery

davidsilence

Standard Member
darn it was the wired version, although they are being good about it and covering all postage costs with the refund

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
darn it was the wired version, although they are being good about it and covering all postage costs with the refund

DSL source said:
It plays a wide variety of digital music files, including uncompressed and lossless formats—across a true 802.11g wireless network connection.

The ad is very misleading. They have now added the word "Ethernet" to the product title, but have still left the wireless bit in the main description. To be fair, i think they have just carelessly cut and pasted the text from another site, but they need to change it.

That said, are you sure it's not wireless? The wired only very have actually be discontinued now (although some are probably still in circulation). That's actually not cheap at all for a wired only one. You can't tell by looking at them, both have an RJ45 socket.

Don't worry though, you should not have to pay to much for a wireless one, i have seen them around at £170-180ish

badbob

Banned
Bought two SB 3's wired only for £165 each (don't want or need wireless) from ripcaster

Black20VT

Can I resurrect this thread. I'm after a white wireless version of the SB3, but I can only find black.

Anyone know where I can get one, let alone the cheapest place to get one?

:lease:

Druboo

Looks like they are no more :thumbsdow

And you aint having mine :D

Only one I could find as a maybe was from Here

Bit pricey but can't help giving them a ring.

HTH

Black20VT

Looks like they are no more :thumbsdow
I don't get it! Why not, especially if they're selling so well right now!?

And you aint having mine :D
Oh come on, pwease! I'll even collect as I'm in Wiltshire too!

Only one I could find as a maybe was from Here

Bit pricey but can't help giving them a ring.

HTH
Yeah, might give them a shout.

The only other alternative I have, is buying one from the states. My son is in California for the next 3 weeks, maybe I can get him to pick me one up....?

I wonder if there's any issues bringing them into the UK? Main one being warranty? Anyone know?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar