• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Squeezbox - Phono cables or Optical

largesack

Standard Member
stereo interconnects....i think really this is the only way to go...the SB has 24bit burr brown DACS, unless you have an extremely high quality amplifier or a decent external DAC, sound quality will be lost

sennen

I use optical, into an Onkyo 715 plus a pair of Q 1010, in a kitchen/dining room, with both compressed and uncompressed music.

I didn't notice any real difference between optical and phono in the small amount of testing I did (but bear in mind the level of equipment and room type).

I read that the Onkyo amplifier is digital, so it seemed a reasonable idea to use the digital input to avoid extra D/A and A/D conversion.

HTH

3sgte_power

The Onkyo 875, which is what i have has analogue in, so really it should digitize the sound, just amplify it and use the DAC in the SB3.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Most AV Receivers digitise all their inputs so they can apply DSP.

If yours is like that, you may as well use S/PDIF from the sqeezeboz since you'll be listening to the DAC in the receiver anyways.

Zarch

Chaps,

What cables come with the Squeezebox? (phono, spdif or coax?)

I've just ordered mine, should be here in a few days, just wanna check that i don't need to go and source some cabling to connect to the amp.

Cheers

Hades

Distinguished Member
Chaps,

What cables come with the Squeezebox? (phono, spdif or coax?)

I've just ordered mine, should be here in a few days, just wanna check that i don't need to go and source some cabling to connect to the amp.

Cheers
Phono cable in the SB3 box.

Mr_Sukebe

Try both and see which you prefer.
With an AV amp, I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference.

Zarch

Please excuse my obvious ignorance, but what is the difference between standard phono cables and digital coax optical?

I take it i can't use standard phono cables in the optical socket to my amp? Is there something inherently different inside the cables?

If so, i'll be off to maplins at lunchtime! :smashin:

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Please excuse my obvious ignorance, but what is the difference between standard phono cables and digital coax optical?

I take it i can't use standard phono cables in the optical socket to my amp? Is there something inherently different inside the cables?

If so, i'll be off to maplins at lunchtime! :smashin:

They are completely different cable systems, with one being digital one being analogue. I dont think that question can be fully answered in a forum thread, hit google and do some research (if your AMP has coax input).

Zarch

They are completely different cable systems, with one being digital one being analogue. I dont think that question can be fully answered in a forum thread, hit google and do some research (if your AMP has coax input).

Thanks autopilot, i assumed there was something completley different about them, but thought i'd check. Cheers.

Cynar

One of the main reasons for the high cost and high quality sound of the Squeezebox is the inclusion of the expensive 24 bit Burr Brown DACS.
If you connect it digitally, you're bypassing them and using whatever DAC is in your receiver.
If your receiver has an inferior quality DAC (very likely with most mass market stuff) sound quality won't be as good.
If your receiver has higher quality DACs then sound quality will be better.
Either way it seems a bit pointless paying extra for the DACs then not using them!

Mr_Sukebe

If you're talking about optical cables, well they do use fibre optic glass for transmission of light waves as against standard cables, which pass electrical data over usually copper wire.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom