Squeezbox display question

carefactornil

Standard Member
I'm still struggling to find the best solution for streaming my various files (photo, music, video). I'm hoping to find "one box" that does the trick but all have various issues for me.

I'm now considering a Squeezebox 3 for the music side of things, just because the interface for searching for music seems that much more powerful than all the other network media players.

One important question I can't get the answer to from the manual. If I get a Squeezebox it'll be tucked away out of sight with all my AV gear and I won't be able to see it. I'd access it using my Philips Pronto remote using IR - not a problem. But how will I be able to see what I'm picking!? Does the Squeezebox have a video output so that I can feed it into my plasma so I can see what I'm browsing for? Or do you have to be able to see the front of the box itself?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I'm still struggling to find the best solution for streaming my various files (photo, music, video). I'm hoping to find "one box" that does the trick but all have various issues for me.

I'm now considering a Squeezebox 3 for the music side of things, just because the interface for searching for music seems that much more powerful than all the other network media players.

One important question I can't get the answer to from the manual. If I get a Squeezebox it'll be tucked away out of sight with all my AV gear and I won't be able to see it. I'd access it using my Philips Pronto remote using IR - not a problem. But how will I be able to see what I'm picking!? Does the Squeezebox have a video output so that I can feed it into my plasma so I can see what I'm browsing for? Or do you have to be able to see the front of the box itself?

No TV out, which is a blessing IMO.

However, you could use anything with a web browser and a connection to your network as the slimserver interface is operated via a web browser. I sometimes use my Sony PSP or PDA phone. I can even use my Nokia N95. Many people op for a dedicated device such as the Nokia 770 web tablet and there are custom Slimserver skins that work very well with it. Touch screen and you can browse art work, change setting, sync players, control the volume, edit playlists etc.

If you have a console with a web browser you could also use that.

carefactornil

Standard Member
Thanks for the info but I consider that a major stumbling block and a real shame. I wouldn't get it just based on that. I don't want to control music from my PC (not practical), it has to be done with my Pronto. The only way I could see what I am doing is via the tv.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...:rolleyes:

stevos

Distinguished Member
The web based controls using a pda like the nokia n770 is great. A bit expensive though, but i am sure you could pick up a cheaper wifi pda online somewhere secondhand.

carefactornil

Standard Member
Again, thanks. But when I got my Pronto I really got it so that it would be the ONLY remote control device in the house and I've enjoyed that a lot. So unless I can operate it via my Pronto (which I could but not see the results...) it's a no-go unfortunately. I ruled out the very interesting-looking Sonos for the same reason.

Unfortunately the UI's of the other types of devices I'm looking at (Showcenter, Snazzio, PixelMagic MB100) all seem very basic. I understand you can use Swisscenter with them but I'm not sure what the net result would be or look like and there doesn't seem to be any easy way of seeing it. Any suggestions? :lease:

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info but I consider that a major stumbling block and a real shame. I wouldn't get it just based on that. I don't want to control music from my PC (not practical), it has to be done with my Pronto. The only way I could see what I am doing is via the tv.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...:rolleyes:

Fair enough, but the vast majority dont want to use TV, it's a real chore using a TV. Most Video/Audio streamers will obviously have a TV interface, but Video/Audio streamer tend to be no where near as good as dedicated audio streamer.

lazymatt

Again, thanks. But when I got my Pronto I really got it so that it would be the ONLY remote control device in the house and I've enjoyed that a lot. So unless I can operate it via my Pronto (which I could but not see the results...) it's a no-go unfortunately. I ruled out the very interesting-looking Sonos for the same reason.

Unfortunately the UI's of the other types of devices I'm looking at (Showcenter, Snazzio, PixelMagic MB100) all seem very basic. I understand you can use Swisscenter with them but I'm not sure what the net result would be or look like and there doesn't seem to be any easy way of seeing it. Any suggestions? :lease:

The only way round it is to locate the SB3 somewhere where the screen is visible. It's a nice looking bit of kit, and having the display on show can look quite good.

As Autopilot says, the dedicated audio streamers tend to be better (both in terms of sound quality and UI). So I would stick with the SB3 route, or suck it up and get a Sonos, the dedicated remote is great:thumbsup:

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>I'm hoping to find "one box" that does the trick<

You may be better off looking at PCs with Windows MCE which you can configure to your requirements such as the Hush PC range. At the end of the day, PVRs and media streamers are just PCs with locked-down functions.

(Then again, you could put a B&W CCTV in front of the Squeezebox and feed the composite signal into your Plasma TV!)

carefactornil

Standard Member
The CCTV would be the better option.;)

I have a PC but it's in the other room to my AV gear, don't want a 2nd one. There's no way to connect the PC to the AV gear though so there's got to be some wireless stuff at some point, even if it's just between the PC and a NAS with my AV gear.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom