1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeeky sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by spanky, Jan 23, 2005.

1. spanky

spanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine I'm gonna get flamed for my choice in a cheap sub, but over the Christmas holidays I got a Yamaha YSTS015B Subwoofer on sale of course. Yamaha sounded better than some of the cheaper $99 Canadian subs that I never heard of before.

Its plugged into my fairly new Yamaha digital receiver, on the mono plug.

Now I have only just got round to using it with movies recently. It squeeks sometimes as its working sometimes. You can't hear squeeks when theres no bass or noise coming form it, only when it is doing its thing and making bass, and not a lot, just sometimes.

The sub sounds good (but I've never owned one before!). But as there is bass coming out at certain times, and low bass usually. I can here the odd squeek, I stuck my head down there and listened and its not constant, but sounded very much like a piece of chipped plastic or wood bouncing off the inside, on the down firing sub. I picked it up (turned off) and rotated it and shook it, and am certain theres nothing loose in there. I moved it around real good and if theres something loose in there I can't hear it!

If you've ever heard a bat squeek, thats what noise it makes for a few moments now and again. Just sounds like a squeak as we sit and watch. Very annoying.
    Sounds like rubbing maybe...but on what? I look at the speaker in the bottom and theres nothing stuck in there (like styrofoam packing!).

Anyone had this and what was it?

So I am wondering to return it, or exchange for another of the same. I can't beat that price with anything better. It was $149 Canadian. :)

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Sounds like the speaker its self could be making the noise, i would take it back to the store and swap it for another one, chances are you wouldn't get another with the same fault.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Bob is right. Take it back for a replacement if you can.
    It may have a rubbing voice coil or internal obstruction to the coil or cone.
    Possibly a bit of debris from the manufacturing process that was missed.

Or a loose piece of sound insulation wadding inside(?)
    Being soft it wouldn't be audible when you shook the box.
    But would produce an intermittent sound if the speaker cone rubbed on it.

Taking it apart to find the cause will invalidate your guarantee and you wouldn't be able to return it. You might not find anything inside anyway.

Nimby

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    The above advice sounds good but are you sure its the sub thats causing it?

5. spanky

spanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I took the advice and returned it. I couldn't exchange it cos they didn't have any right now. So I will have to wait for more to come in.

I thought it wasn't normal.