1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squeaking TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pathway, Apr 1, 2005.

1. pathway

pathway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Could any of you experienced TV people help out here :lease: . I have been looking after a mates old 28" BUSH TV....nothing special but was doing the job whilst I decided on a new set.

However, it cut out last night - picture went dead :thumbsdow , light signifying power went dead - but there is definately power to the set (fuses all ok etc).

When I turn it on now the set makes a repetitive squeaking noise (approx every half second) and no response from any controls.....

So.....What has bust - is it worth fixing?

Cheers

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Pathway,

The "squealing" is the power supply detecting an overload (probably the line timebase, but that's a complete guess), turning itself off, trying again, etc.

What you can say for certain, is that this is not something that you can fix yourself.

Just how old is the "old" 28 inch Bush TV?

If it's more than 5 years and being one of the cheaper makes, it's probably not worth the cost of a repair.

Remember a brand new 28" Bush is only about £150, and that's widescreen and with a 12 months guarantee.

Hope this helps. :)