Spyder4TV HD Tri-Stim Colorimeter and Software Calibration Package

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The News Bot, Jul 30, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +448
      Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 30th July 2012. The Spyder 4TV HD isn’t going to provide a calibration up to the standards that more expensive equipment would provide and, at this price, it’s hardly fair to expect that but for the amateur calibrators out there, it will certainly bring about major improvements to your display.
      Read the full review...

2. scottthehat

scottthehat
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,801
      I brought this not long after it come out, at first i calibrated a couple lcds and it did what seemed a good job, and although it states standard(which was fine for my lcds as the dont have movie mode) and on my sharp 42xd1ea it stated the colour temp was normal and thing looked great(maybe a tad bright and red)
      but then i tried my sammy ps59d550 plasma and it was just wrong it told me that the correct colour temp was warm2(closest to d65) and that was right but it still made things very orange as spyder offers no white balance adjustment to compensate for this) also i couldnt get the tint to work with the samsung as it couldt write in the way it worked(hard to explian)

So in the end i ended up buying chromapure and using the spyder 4 metter(had the metter refrenced with a klien k10 metter) and retested all again
      most were ok(cheaper tvs) but the pricer tvs were way of more so my shap 42xd1ex tint was miles out as was contrast and brightness(was way to dark)

and my sammy plasma was way off in every direction.
      in principle the spyder 4 hdtv sounds a great idea and is easy to use.
      but my advice is by chromapure and see if you can get cheap metter.
      kalibrate uk is the place.

3. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,615
      Thinking of buying this as an 'amateur dabbler'. :D

I have my projector ISF'd, but I can't really afford to get all 4 flat screens done.

How easy is it to use?

Steve W

4. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,467
      I'd also take a look at the iD3 Steve but it's enough easy to use unless you're a bit ham fisted and struggle with the bungee ropes. No names, no pack drill:blush:

I would also seek out some proper calibration software:)

5. scottthehat

scottthehat
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,801
      I would speak to ricky j on here he sometimes has 2nd hand metters which are refrenced and sold on you can probably get one and chromapure for about £150ish and the results will be alot better and accurate.
      only my ten pence as i have both and wish i had not bothered with the spyder 4 tv hd.

the only good thing about the spyder is the straps as the come in handy for calibrating 3d strap the metter to tv the glasses under the metter.

also chromapure is £55 at the moment

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    6. dmartinburns

dmartinburns

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      I have a Panny txp42gt30 which I use exclusively on the THX picture setting. Am I likely to be able to improve on this setting using the Spyder 4? I would LOVE to be able to have the set professionally calibrated, but am unable to convince my partner that the expense is justified - a familiar story I am sure!

Best regards

Martin Burns