• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SPV C500 movies to phone question

Rindless

Established Member
I know it's possible to create movies on a pc and convert them using PocketDivXEncoder and then transfer the file to a mini SD card.
Question is, will the phone play the movie or do I have to install something else on to the phone ?

What is beta player and do I need to install this on to the C500 ?
 
W

Wooders

Guest
Rindless said:
I know it's possible to create movies on a pc and convert them using PocketDivXEncoder and then transfer the file to a mini SD card.
Question is, will the phone play the movie or do I have to install something else on to the phone ?

When I first got my C500, I got movies onto my phone by recording them into my PC in Movie Maker. Then I saved them as a WMV file for PocketPC (at 218 kbps). Windows Media Player plays these files very well and with good picture quality. Unfortunately, it's a lot of work recording the stuff in the first place. Also, there's no rewind or fast forward on Media Player which is a pain in the arse when you're dealing with a long film.

If you're encoding with PocketDivXEncoder, your phone will need Beta Player.

Rindless said:
What is beta player and do I need to install this on to the C500 ?

Beta Player is an excellent video and mp3 player. It will play your DIVX encoded movies (I've got Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels on mine at the moment) and is very good quality. It has fast forward and rewind facilities too. It's free but I think your phone needs to be "Application Unlocked" - mine is a bog-standard C500 from Orange and it was unlocked when I received it.
 
W

Wooders

Guest
VintageMark said:
Or.... do it the easy way:

http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=724

That software converts the films... and installs Beta player on your C500 for playback...

It is superb...

HTH..

Mark.

I've used that software a few times but can't get much joy out of it when I try to rip DVDs of TV programmes; it produces a squashed picture every time, no matter what settings I use. Also, I find it produces very clear images but rather jerky framerates. Any advice?
 

VintageMark

Standard Member
Wooders said:
I've used that software a few times but can't get much joy out of it when I try to rip DVDs of TV programmes; it produces a squashed picture every time, no matter what settings I use. Also, I find it produces very clear images but rather jerky framerates. Any advice?

I havnt used it for anything other than DVD's I am afraid...

As to frame rates... there is a setting to select a smoother image as I recall... (the new 1.2 version has even more options I think)...

Mark.
 

Rindless

Established Member
Using DVD-to-Smartphone, will I still have to get the phone "Application Unlocked" and if so, how do I do that ?

Cheers.
 
D

deniser

Guest
Would you recommend this phone. I have had my fingers burnt with 2 3g phones and have decided to go back to 2g and wait to see what happens with 3g.
I have to replace my nokia 6630 with something else on orange tomorrow and do not know what to pick and do not want to make wrong choice as it is an upgrade and will be unable to return it
 

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom