SPV C500 Experiences

F

Fotograaf2004

Hi,

I am a happy Orange SPV C500 owner since a couple of days now, but i have to say it's not an easy phone to use (for example putting passwords online for email (like hotmail or yahoo) is a pain in the @r5e because u don't see what ur typing, especially when ur password contains letters and numbers with a "0" in it).

I have to say, the sound and screen quality is very good (considering it's a phone and not a laptop). I like the applications you can install (like the animated desktop, really nice!). I didn't find all good appz yet, at this moment i am still looking for a free AVI player (or plug in). I downloaded some programs from the net , but they didn't work well (or not at all, often the phone said that it had downloaded the CAB file, but kept running around with the installation, after 30 minutes i switched off the telephone, because it is only a couple of Mb in size....after all).

I like the charging and synchronisation with the mini usb--> USB cable, that is really awesome, 1 cable for all...the battery is fully charged in notime, and it'll work for about 3 days at least. I have also ordered a Krussell SPV C500 case because of the opening for the camera at the back (and the screen protection of course).

In the netherlands, the MiniSD cards are hard to find at this moment (most shops don't have 512 mb cards). They will cost around 50 euro's here (which is a fair price i think).Till now i used a Apacer MP3 player, but after the purchase of this phone , i better sell it, because the sound of this C500 is at least as good. At work i use it like a radio with speaker (it's quite amazing, the amount of soundvolume of this phone).

It's a pleasure to go on the internet with this phone (for text-editing and surfing on large websites i still use the Asus MyPal 620 in combination with a Nokia 6310i). Working with the T9 modes is not very easy i think when ur not used to it... Infrared works flawlessly, Bluetooth didn't work (till now). Maybe i have to get another USB bluetooth stick for my Toshiba laptop with newer drivers. Within a couple of days i will get myself a Bluetooth headset (probably the Bluetrek G2 ).

Well, that's it for now....i will post more experiences soon. I hope you will write down your experiences with the C500 also.

Greetz,

Fotograaf2004 ;)

Hi,

I also have the C500 and have had it for a few months now. I have to say it is the best phone that I have ever had, it is so easy to use. I have had quite a few too and it is better than my SE P800.

The camera is excellent and easy to use as are most of the features.

On thing I dont like though is that after only a few months it has a lot of dust behind the screen, particularly at the top. I have asked Orange and they say it is cosmetic! While it is not too much of a problem yet I am concerned that it will get worse. I can't see any way to get the case off so I can clean it.

Hi,

Yes great phone, but I have noticed that on a couple of occasions that the backspace key when composing text fails to function. If you reboot the phone and start again it's fine, very annoying. Anyone else had this problem ?

Foto,

Out of interest how much is the case for the C500 ?

Trig.

Trig said:
Hi,

Yes great phone, but I have noticed that on a couple of occasions that the backspace key when composing text fails to function. If you reboot the phone and start again it's fine, very annoying. Anyone else had this problem ?

Foto,

Out of interest how much is the case for the C500 ?

Trig.

I haven't had the backspace problem Trig. Are you running the latest software, available on Orange's site?

Hi,

I assume so, the version according to my phone is.... 2003 second edition Version 4.21.1088(build 14217)

Have had a quick look on the Orange site but couldn't find any updates. Can you post the link.

Ta
Trig

What's the screen like on this phone ? How large & quality wise ... My present phone is a T610 and it's too tichy for me screen wise (keep changing glasses to read the text) The T610 is almost invisible in daylight too - how's the C 500 in this respect ...
Paul ;)

Screen on the C500 is ace, but i've had mine for over 6 months now, decided to change and upgrade to a T-mobile MDA compact. SImply the most awesome phone ever!

I have the C500 and am very pleased so far. If you need a review of the C500 then check this out (with a picture of the phone next to a T610-freaky!)

h**p://www.coolsmartphone.com/index.php?option=articles&task=viewarticle&artid=339&Itemid=3

For a guide on how to remove the dust from the TFT screen, check out the following;

h**p://www.coolsmartphone.com/index.php?option=articles&task=viewarticle&artid=133&Itemid=3

Trig said:
Hi,

I assume so, the version according to my phone is.... 2003 second edition Version 4.21.1088(build 14217)

Have had a quick look on the Orange site but couldn't find any updates. Can you post the link.

Ta
Trig

You are running the latest software.

ive got a c500 and recent bought a 512mb min SD to go with it. Its a fantastic phone, though i do have a few niggles....

1) the dust problem. Ive had the phone less than a month, and already i'm getting dust trapped behind the screen:(

2) the action key/scroller. I dont have a problem with the way it works, rather the fact the the silver coating is ALREADY starting to come off. This is a 3 week old phone remember.

3) sound quality isn't brilliant. Don't get me wrong, its still great for a phone. But it doesnt compare to my portable sony CD player, let alone anything better. The bass is poorly defined and while its loud enough, it just doesnt seem to have the dynamics that it should.

Till now i used a Apacer MP3 player, but after the purchase of this phone , i better sell it, because the sound of this C500 is at least as good. At work i use it like a radio with speaker (it's quite amazing, the amount of soundvolume of this phone).

I'm sorry but you Acer mp3 player must have had bad sound quality aswell:(

4) the standard earphones are TERRIBLE. absolutly shocking. The sound is bad, and they just dont stay in my ears. But i've sorted that problem. see pic*

5) nothing else really. I love the phone, battery life is supurb, the 512mb card works flawlessly with this phone (and at £34 inc mini SD > SD convertor its very cheap) and its easy enough to customise, but not as easy as it *should* be.

in the pic: Thats the result of mating the POS handsfree kit with my sony earphones:) The sound quality is much improved :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PHONE.JPG
    PHONE.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 77
I had the original SPV from Orange. An appalling phone with a terrible operating system. I got rid as soon as the contract ran out!
The only reason for mentioning this is that that phone also suffered from dust behind the screen, which, according to Orange, was 'cosmetic'! They obviously have not learned much in the past few years.

The C500 is a top phone, the best place to hang out for all things SPV and especially find out what is happening with all the latest apps is the forums at Modaco...

www.modaco.com

Hi all,

thanks for the posts! It has been a week now i bought the C500 now, and i have to say, i am still very happy with it. I haven't discovered dust behind the screen yet, but i ordered a Krusell case anyway (so it would protect even more, just in case). The sound of this phone isn't Super HiFi of course, but for a phone....the fact is that u get a lot of handy applications and functions in 1 little phone (what else do you want). By the way, I chose this phone, so i could check my email and send email (imagine, you don't have to go to an internet cafe anymore to check ur mail or send mail if you don't have much time).

I use MSN very often on this phone,...a lot of contacts with friends have been made by MSN instead of the telephone by calling. The use of data with MSN on the C500 is minimal,...in fact it will save money i think (calling is much more expensive).

The phone is very popular at this moment, a lot of people ordered 512 MB memory (Mini SD card), for 12 days this card could not been ordered in several shops (hopefully they arrive next week). 512Mb Is the maximum this phone can handle (that's a whole load of MP3 and Movies! It will be sufficient for a long time I think. And its is cheaper than 2 cards of 256 MB (49 euro at this moment for 512 MB).

For the Dutch visitors: go to www.telecomvergelijker.nl and type C500 in the search (there you will find several topics about the C500). On www.tweakers.net you can search also for the C500 (a very big topic now), also about the use with TomTom.

By the way, the C500 Case i ordered costed me around 19 euro (shipping included!). The price was around 15 euro without shipping (some shops charge 30 euro for the same case, ex. shipping) so look and compare on the net before purchasing!).

Greets,

Fotograaf2004. :thumbsup:

Fotograaf2004 said:
512Mb Is the maximum this phone can handle (that's a whole load of MP3 and Movies! It will be sufficient for a long time I think. And its is cheaper than 2 cards of 256 MB (49 euro at this moment for 512 MB).

Greets,

Fotograaf2004. :thumbsup:

The C500 will definately handle at LEAST 1Gb miniSD, but you pay the premium for it ATM.

james.miller said:
ive got a c500 and recent bought a 512mb min SD to go with it. Its a fantastic phone, though i do have a few niggles....

3) sound quality isn't brilliant. Don't get me wrong, its still great for a phone. But it doesnt compare to my portable sony CD player, let alone anything better. The bass is poorly defined and while its loud enough, it just doesnt seem to have the dynamics that it should.

in the pic: Thats the result of mating the POS handsfree kit with my sony earphones:) The sound quality is much improved :thumbsup:

Tried playback with Betaplayer? I found the sound to be much "nicer" and it has EQ too.

im using beta player and its no better. Using the eq is ok, but you have to drop the pre-amp to raise any levels. The only thing that achieves is to make to sound worse. Its not that its bad, it has everything on check, it's just the bottom end that is seriously lacking. There's no drive at the botom end at all.

Still, i prefer it to my cd player for portability alone, but the sound doesnt compare.

I don't see any point in upgrading to the C500 from my E200, it doesn't do anything different (perhaps a bit faster), is not much smaller and has the hidden mini sd card.

I am looking at the M500 or M2000 to give me much better functionality.

n.b. I would echo the tip about checking out Modaco for lots of info.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom