"Spring 2011 update launches May 19, adds PayPal; Avatar Kinect coming May 27"

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Even before that new app smell has worn off from Hulu Plus, Microsoft will launch its annual spring update for the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Images sent to Joystiq by a Microsoft tech support employee reveal that the next Dashboard update will begin rolling out on May 19.

According to the documents, the update will be distributed in six separate waves between May 19 and May 30 "to ensure a high quality deployment." Additionally, while not technically part of the automatic update, Avatar Kinect is listed for a May 27 arrival as a separate download.

Aside from offering support for the new Microsoft disc format -- which will "be used in future game titles releasing later in 2011" -- the spring system update will enable PayPal support on the console, extending the payment option "to new international markets." PayPal will be "the only user facing feature" of the update.

Microsoft had yet to respond to request for comment as of publishing.

Source: Xbox 360 Spring 2011 update launches May 19, adds PayPal; Avatar Kinect coming May 27 | Joystiq

According to the picture on Joystiq, this update also adds support for the new disc format which increases the space usable for games.

Crovon

Distinguished Member
Only interested in the disc update and the paypal addition.

Any ideas of what else they might be adding?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Apart from paypal and the disc update, it doesn't look like there are many or any other new "user facing" features - as Joystiq mention near the end.

Hopefully there are more and we hear something official soon.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
Would it not make sense for them to add Skype maybe if they are taking them over? Integrating Skype into 360 shouldn't be a huge job and would be a hell of a selling point for Kinect if it allowed full screen video and voice capture!!

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Paypal is a good move by MS, especially in light of the PSN issue. MS probably don't want the hassle of credit cards, even though they catch many users out with automatic renewals (which must make them a tidy sum), it is probably cheaper to pay the Pay Pal fees in the long run.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Would it not make sense for them to add Skype maybe if they are taking them over? Integrating Skype into 360 shouldn't be a huge job and would be a hell of a selling point for Kinect if it allowed full screen video and voice capture!!
That would be interesting. I bet it would call for a higher quality camera for the xbox and/or support for third party ones.

It's probably being considered somewhere.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
That would be interesting. I bet it would call for a higher quality camera for the xbox and/or support for third party ones.

It's probably being considered somewhere.

But a higher camera would require more bandwidth wouldn't it? So surely a lower end camera (I'm not sure on tech of Kinect and to how good camera is so I'm totally guessing its a bit 'meh') would be better for there purposes? They wouldn't allow 3rd party though I'm guessing, only Kinect...which has both voice & Video...so they couild limit it totally by only allowing 1 feed at a time as opposed to a seperate video and voice feed integrated

Not 100% on the whole camera thing but am I right in saying you could video call to other XBL users with the older cameras? So if they can do it on XBL via Skype to anyone and not limit the audience I think it would be a huge selling point. Complete guess like but I think it would make sense and I can see the business sense behind it

Last edited:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member

Flawed Tactics

Can't wait for PayPal, been wanting to buy gold for a while now but won't give them my card details because it can't be removed without calling them. Can't be bothered with prepaid cards so PayPal will be a god send.

DJSigma

Banned
Paypal is a good move by MS, especially in light of the PSN issue.
It's good from a convenience standpoint, being able to use another payment method, but that's all really. If I had to give a hacker my PayPal login details or my credit card info, they can have the latter. I'm covered for any losses incurred, unlike with PayPal.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I doubt MS would store your Paypal details, they'd probably store your paypal account number which is pre-authorised with your password when you first enter your account details, but not saved on the MS servers.
MS are not likely to store your paypal email address and password and 'login' each time you make a payment.

CC protection wouldn't cover you if your Live account was 'hijacked'and a hacker recovered your Gamertag, so there isn't any less protection in that regard. The clause in the credit protection is that the user must not be negligent, and they would argue that you must have told somebody your username and password in this instance.

Depending on the implementation MS choose, I think it is much cheaper for them in terms of security.

Last edited:

DJSigma

Banned
I doubt MS would store your Paypal details, they'd probably store your paypal account number which is pre-authorised with your password when you first enter your account details, but not saved on the MS servers.
Just like they wouldn't store things like your CVV2 number on the servers and credit card numbers would be salted and hashed.

mattclarkie said:
CC protection wouldn't cover you if your Live account was 'hijacked'and a hacker recovered your Gamertag, so there isn't any less protection in that regard.
It would actually.

mattclarkie said:
Depending on the implementation MS choose, I think it is much cheaper for them in terms of security.
They are adding PayPal as a payment option, not replacing being able to use credit cards and debit cards with it. It's costing them money to do this, not saving them money, because even if fewer people use credit cards in future because they can now use PayPal, the security doesn't change.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
My theory is it is a 'phased removal' of credit card. The reason they have MS points is to reduce credit card transaction fees, although these are often lower than Paypal charges MS have probably got a pretty good deal on the Paypal fees. If Paypal is popular MS would remove CC as a payment method. If Paypal falls on it's arse they wont. They can't remove CC overnight, but give them a few years ;)
Why do something yourself when someone can do it for you, cheaper.

Korum

Can't wait for PayPal, been wanting to buy gold for a while now but won't give them my card details because it can't be removed without calling them. Can't be bothered with prepaid cards so PayPal will be a god send.

You can remove your xbox360 credit card details from the xbox website, I removed 3 credit cards last week.

Crovon

Distinguished Member
News: Xbox 360 dashboard update announced, out today - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Microsoft's detailed a new Xbox 360 system update, which starts rolling out internationally from today.

The Dashboard update adds, among other things, compatibility with the new Xbox 360 disc format and further integration with PayPal.

Major Nelson explains:

"I am happy to announce that, as a part of a new Xbox 360 System Update, we're expanding our integration with PayPal to allow U.S. and international Xbox LIVE users to make purchases on their Xbox 360 consoles with their PayPal accounts.*

"Once you've linked your PayPal account to your Xbox LIVE account on Xbox.com, you'll be off and running to use it as a billing option, allowing you to buy content such as Microsoft Points, Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions and Games on Demand titles.

"We are rolling out the Xbox 360 System Update gradually to all Xbox LIVE users starting today and throughout the next couple weeks to ensure a high quality deployment. Just like any other update to our service, you will know you've received it when you turn on your Xbox 360 console, connect to Xbox LIVE and receive a notification to download the update. It's important to note that it may take a few days to make its way around the globe. Thanks for your patience if you don't get it right away!

"This particular update will also bring an auto-standby feature that places your console on standby if it's idle for more than one hour, helping to reduce power consumption. This feature will be automatically enabled after you download the update. You can change this setting in the System Settings on your console.

"Finally, thank you to all who participated in the preview program for this Xbox 360 System Update. Your contributions helped us prepare for the updated Xbox 360 disc format capability that comes with this release."

brumhee

Distinguished Member
I wish they would introduce auto wake up to download stuff added to your queue through xbox.com not more auto shut down modes :thumbsdow

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I wish they would introduce auto wake up to download stuff added to your queue through xbox.com not more auto shut down modes :thumbsdow

They wouldn't be able to do that. The only way that would be possible is for the 360 to remain in a low power state with a permanent connection to Xbox Live. With all the Global Warming nonsense no company is going to increase the power consumption of their device by keeping it turned on permanently.

l FALCO l

Standard Member
They wouldn't be able to do that. The only way that would be possible is for the 360 to remain in a low power state with a permanent connection to Xbox Live. With all the Global Warming nonsense no company is going to increase the power consumption of their device by keeping it turned on permanently.

I thought the PS3 already did this? "Remote Start" or something...using a PSP to kick downloads off?
Maybe I dreamt it :)

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I don't care what the PS3 does, to do what you want would require the 360 to remain in a low power state monitoring Xbox Live.

The ideal implementation would be for the 360 to be woken by a magic packet (WoL) originated from Live, ignoring the fact a users IP can change at any time, almost all home routers block the WoL packet over the WAN port for security reasons. As a result MS could not use this to wake the 360 up, and with no other device capable of communicating with the 360 with the exception of Xbox Live the 360 would have to maintain a permanent Live connection which require it to remain powered on to some degree at all times.

If the PS3 uses the PSP then it likely uses the Bluetooth connection the devices share. Much the same as the 360 can be woken by a wireless 360 controller from a powered down state.

DR Kronenbourg

Distinguished Member
I don't care what the PS3 does, to do what you want would require the 360 to remain in a low power state monitoring Xbox Live.

The ideal implementation would be for the 360 to be woken by a magic packet (WoL) originated from Live, ignoring the fact a users IP can change at any time, almost all home routers block the WoL packet over the WAN port for security reasons. As a result MS could not use this to wake the 360 up, and with no other device capable of communicating with the 360 with the exception of Xbox Live the 360 would have to maintain a permanent Live connection which require it to remain powered on to some degree at all times.

If the PS3 uses the PSP then it likely uses the Bluetooth connection the devices share. Much the same as the 360 can be woken by a wireless 360 controller from a powered down state.

it would be good to have an option, for example your xbox would stay in the same state as normal but if you new content was coming out you could then use a user option for your console and router and set it before you leave for work allowing it to download user prefered material during the time you have it activated.

l FALCO l

Standard Member
it would be good to have an option, for example your xbox would stay in the same state as normal but if you new content was coming out you could then use a user option for your console and router and set it before you leave for work allowing it to download user prefered material during the time you have it activated.

Exactly, you wouldn't leave the option on all the time...

To the other guy...
Maybe if people looked around at the competition to see what they are doing, rather than 'not caring' we would get new features sooner.. :smashin:
It also works via the internet you'll be glad to learn.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio