• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Spraying KEF Eggs

D

Ding_dang_do

Hi

I have silver KEF Eggs, which my wife wants spraying black to match a Pioneer 436XDE.

Has anyone ever done this?
What precautions should I take?
Is this a bad idea?
Should I sell my wife on eBay and sit back and just enjoy my silver KEF's!!?

I have no intention of changing them for some years to come, so not bothered about resale value.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
wait till Easter, i'm sure plenty of kids would love to come round and paint the eggs :D

if you completely (and i mean hermetically!) seal off the drivers and gently paint the cabinets (dont spray! just use a brush and/or mini roller) you can probably get away with it, you can also buy some nice high gloss lacquer varnish to make them extra piano black style shiny...

but like i say, DONT get anything on the drivers or driver surrounds...

Downinja

Distinguished Member
What colour are you spraying them?

If black, why not look for someone online that has black ones and wants silver?

Obviously age and condition will come in to play, but it's worth a try, spraying unless done professionaly is gonna look a mess.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Knyght_byte said:
wait till Easter, i'm sure plenty of kids would love to come round and paint the eggs :D

if you completely (and i mean hermetically!) seal off the drivers and gently paint the cabinets (dont spray! just use a brush and/or mini roller) you can probably get away with it, you can also buy some nice high gloss lacquer varnish to make them extra piano black style shiny...

but like i say, DONT get anything on the drivers or driver surrounds...

If you brush them, you run the risk of leaving brush marks on the case which will look absolutely awful. Best bet is to try and swap them for black.

Failing that, your better off giving em to a pro and letting them sort em out.

If moneys really tight, use a can of spray but as others have said, if you get any on the drivers, kiss them speakers goodbye.

The trick is to rub them down using very fine wet and dry paper and build the paint up in very fine layers, rubbing them down after each layer is completely dry. It's not hard to make a good job of it but you have to take your time and be extremely careful.

As to if it's worth the risk, that's up to you. As long as you don't get any paint on the drivers they should be fine but you may end up making them look like :censored:.:smashin:

narcoticsuite

Should be okay, make damn sure the drivers are protected and then rub the casings down with very fine sand paper (at least p640). ideally get some spray on primer, failing that apply oil based primer with a mini roller, failing that you can probably get away without primer if they are well rubbed down.

Then apply several thin coats of spray paint, matt would probably be easier than gloss in terms of achieveing a blemish free finish but wouldn't look as nice.

Remember, as long as you take your times and keep the coats very thin then you should be able to achieve a good finish.

bob1

Can't you strip these down if you are going to paint them,swapping for some black ones is the best idea but if your going to spray use a primer first if you want a good finish and then its not as easy as you think.

D

Ding_dang_do

Thanks very much.

I think with all these warning signs, I will try to swap.

I wasn't aware they did the eggs in black.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom