Spotty on squeezebox

rccarguy3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get spotty/Spotify working on my squeezebox.

Synology ds418 Nas with pinkdot LMS : 8.0.0 - 1605892076

I've enabled spotty plugin. I've read I need a premium account. Which I'm not willing to pay for (I vehemently disagree with subscription accounts)

On the phone when I scan for devices it sees the lms server on the Synology but is greyed out

Any way to get this to work? Why should I need premium?

I can stream audio on the phone via Bluetooth to the tonewinner but would rather have direct cable connection

Nothing you can do about the Spotty LMS plugin requiring a Spotify premium account as it uses the (ironically) free librespot open source library to provide it with its Spotify Connect support - librespot's developers have stated that they will not support features to make it compatible with Spotify free:
1647871573045.png

Looks like you have too many things against you - old version of LMS & therefore possible problems with the latest LMS plugins including Spotty; Synology NAS model not capable of running Docker & therefore not able to get an up to date version of LMS on it; the Spotty LMS plugin not supporting Spotify free, anyway; etc.

So, assuming your network has WiFi, I suggest you spend ~£30 on a Chromecast to plug into one of the HDMI inputs of your Tonewinner and get Spotify free via that instead, eg:
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/google-chromecast-third-generation-charcoal-10186048.html

Much better than Bluetooth as the Spotify tracks (& adverts :)) will be streamed by the Chromecast directly from Spotify's online server as opposed to via the phone - you can switch the phone off and the Chromecast will carry on playing the entire playlist, even 'forever' if the playlist is on repeat.

Last edited:
Cheers that sucks though for system I'm happy with and issue is Spotify account.

For some reason I don't get ads on the phone even though free account

Why do you disagree with paying for your music?
Probably believes musicians produce their best work when they are poor and starving;)

Renting is a problem. Short term and long term licensing issues have resulted in me losing music. Selective purchases to supplement the spotify "rentals"

Just remembered I have old tablet with HDMI tried using it bit couldn't get spotify to work on it with high-quality audio out.

The Spotify app's high quality audio output setting (the Spotify app then streams Spotify's lossy 160kbps Ogg Vorbis encoded audio tracks) should be selectable on a free account.
The Spotify app's very high quality audio output setting (for streaming Spotify's current best quality but still lossy 'near CD quality' 320kbps Ogg Vorbis encoded audio tracks) requires a premium account. See:
Audio quality - Spotify

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom