Quantcast

Spotify premium v cd/sacd etc.

Are u increasingly using streaming over physical media?

• I still principly use physical media

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I find myself increasingly using online streaming

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

ageinghippy

Just spent an awesome weekend re-listening to Steeley Dan on spotify premium with reciver on pure. Totally blown away. My knee jerk reaction to such experiences are... right where can I get sacd/dvd-a etc. of these. But I'm trying to hold back for the following reasons
A. Just retired and trying to live on life's terms financially :-(
B. Lots of discussion around best version of various reissues
C. Convenience of spotify control via smartphone
D. As I get older with diagnosed deterioration of hearing sacd offering less audible benefits

Not really looking for advice /suggestions. But wondered if any other ageing gits like me are having similar thoughts around streaming/physical media .

It's no understatement to say music has been my life for the majority of my 60+ years. So not to go for sacd etc. Just because I can is REALLY hard!

Any views/comments?

Trevor

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Why pay a bill for access to lossy versions of your favourite music?

I have my own "cloud" , i.e. My own nas/ server with my CD,s ripped to it.
I dont need to pay someone for access to their database, I have my own, accessible through ipad or phone.

You already have an excellent dac in the 105D , seems all you need is some network storage.
Try the lossless versions first before jumping all the way to high res.

EAC software for ripping CD,s is free and wipes the floor with the mp3's spotify has to to offer.
If you think your amp sounds good on " pure" with lossy mp3 content, try lossless flac on it.

ageinghippy

Not sure from what I have read that Spotify premium is streamed mp3?
And the service gives me immediate access to albums I don't already own.

For albums I already have (i currently don't own the steely dan albums in question) I rip to flac (dbpoweramp) and replay via Jriver media center. I have tested a couple of personally ripped flac tracks against spotify with mixed results. I have not been able to afford NAS. But sure my HTPC's internal storage is equivalent?

Thanks for your comments

Tevor

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Spotify claim Ogg Vorbis, but also claim they can switch format depending on platform.
Reports say that some android platforms get mp3.

Either way the content is lossy 320kbps max for premium.

The standard CD is better.
A properly ripped lossless file from CD will be anything from 600 - 1000kbps depending on content.

I use Jriver myself, set up for bitperfect playback, all my music is losslessly ripped to an 8TB hp microserver, ( 8332 albums on there at time of writing) I use Jremote on my phone and ipad for control and playback.
Im using the 105d as a DAC for music.

A nas or microserver is only needed if your storage requirements exceed what you already have, so whatever storage there is on your HTPC is fine until you start to run out of space.

The Nas or microserver will also let you set up an external connection so that you can connect to and play your own content from anywhere you have an internet connection.
Your own personal cloud as it were, where you control the content and its quality.

Obviously, I,m big into my music as well, and Ive been down the lossily compressed route, it is simply not good enough.

Last edited:

ageinghippy

Thanks for the heads up
Trevor

Kailash

i just dont like the idea of renting music still but it is convenient at hell i'll admit. i was using spotify yesterday , the free one mind
bandcamp put out a statement about this sort of thing, where at least you still own something as you can d/l the FLAC etc

"

By Editorial | Posted in featured music | Comments (0)
Bandcamp, Downloads, Streaming, and the Inescapably Bright Future
May 19, 2016 – 6:52 am
In light of a recent report that Apple will soon abandon music downloads (later denied, but undoubtedly containing a certain amount of inevitability), we thought we’d take a moment to update you on the state of Bandcamp’s business and our plans for the future.

Bandcamp grew by 35% last year. Fans pay artists $4.3 million dollars every month using the site, and they buy about 25,000 records a day, which works out to about one every 4 seconds (you can see a real-time feed of those purchases on our desktop home page). Nearly 6 million fans have bought music through Bandcamp (half of whom are younger than 30), and hundreds of thousands of artists have sold music on Bandcamp. Digital album sales on Bandcamp grew 14% in 2015 while dropping 3% industry-wide, track sales grew 11% while dropping 13% industry-wide, vinyl was up 40%, cassettes 49%… even CD sales grew 10% (down 11% industry-wide). Most importantly of all, Bandcamp has been profitable (in the now-quaint revenues-exceed-expenses sense) since 2012.

Subscription-based music streaming,* on the other hand, has yet to prove itself to be a viable model, even after hundreds of millions of investment dollars raised and spent. For our part, we are committed to offering an alternative that we know works. As long as there are fans who care about the welfare of their favorite artists and want to help them keep making music, we will continue to provide that direct connection. And as long as there are fans who want to own, not rent, their music, that is a service we will continue to provide, and that is a model whose benefits we will continue to champion. We have been here since 2008 and we mean to be here in 2028. Thank you!

*Bandcamp is not a download store, and we very much embrace the convenience of streaming. When you buy music on Bandcamp, whether that’s in digital or physical form (30% of sales on Bandcamp are for vinyl and other merchandise), you not only get the pleasure of knowing you’re supporting the artist in a direct and transparent way, you also get instant, unlimited streaming of that music via our free apps for Android and iOS, as well as an optional, high-quality download. Your purchase is about direct support, ownership and access, whether that access takes the form of a stream, download, or both. So please consider joining us in never using “streaming” as shorthand for “subscription-based music.” The former is an inevitable technological shift, the latter is an unproven business model. "
"

ageinghippy

Yeah I read that. Just bought several HD albums by moon safari from them. Download was a little slow. But other than that pleased with service and quality

Top Bottom