Question Spotify being very odd...

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Help...

I use Spotify quite a lot.
From my iPhone, Ipad and occasionally my MacBook Pro.

I love the convenience and it can sound quite impressive with proper recordings.

BUT all of the bloody things play the music back to front. o_O

Left channel is right and right left!

On all devices, despite multiple wiping and reloading of the apps.

It's driving me goggle eyed gents.

Any ideas?

Just checked mine - IPAD seems OK, started up my PC version, it updated and was fine.

Sorry, not much help but may be a local issue specific to you ???

if you search "left right speaker test " in spotify there are some test files for checking this out. I used the one bu Andrew Charnley.

Cheers.. I tried that and it identified the right and left speaker properly. But the music is still back to front. This is puzzling indeed.

Very weird.

How long has this been going on? It sounds like a. Broadcast/ site streaming issue . Do you know if others are experiencing the same thing?

Sorry Paul. No answer to your problem but intrigued to know the outcome.

I've noticed on occasion Spotify goes nuts. It seems to be the type of app that just needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled on occasion.

Very weird.

How long has this been going on? It sounds like a. Broadcast/ site streaming issue . Do you know if others are experiencing the same thing?

Sorry Paul. No answer to your problem but intrigued to know the outcome.

It's been going on for a few weeks now. I'm off to a friends later and I'll be trying out his and my Spotify. I'll also borrow his iPad and bring it back to mine.

It's so curious, I HAVE to know now.

I've noticed on occasion Spotify goes nuts. It seems to be the type of app that just needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled on occasion.

I assumed that a reinstall would sort it out too. But no.

Despite several attempts and an update in the meantime, it's still the same...

How do you know the right/left channels are transposed (not "back to front")?
What are you basing it on?

Orchestral placement. Double bass and cellos are to the right. Not on my Spotify though.

Also I'm assuming that a cd is recorded as it should be and that when instruments are swapped between speakers then it's Spotify at fault as iTunes, cds, sample music from websites (Linn, for example) and even YouTube are all the same as regards instrument placing and whether or not a particular sound comes from a particular speaker.

The easiest and fastest way is to try (Neil Diamond) Shilo. The bass line is instantly left speaker from the cd, YouTube, and an Apple download but right speaker from my Spotify.

So are you saying the R/L channels are transposed on every piece of music you know well and listened to via Spotify?

Seems to be exactly that. I don't listen that often for proper listening, it's mostly background stuff, and mostly it's to check out new stuff (to me) and obviously I'd be unfamiliar with that.

But I'll be doing a double, double check later on with two separate Spotify accounts.

Any luck sorting it out?

Have you asked Spotify?

Help...

BUT all of the bloody things play the music back to front. o_O

Left channel is right and right left!

Back to Front is very different than Left to Right.

So, the first question is -

How do you know? How are you determining wtat the Left Channel is on the Right side?

Second question is -

Why does it matter? The music is pretty much the same either way.

And, can we assume you are listening on Headphones? Why not just swap the headphones around? Put the left headphone on your right ear?

If you are listening on external speakers, just switch the speaker wiring around.

Though it seems pretty trivial, the music will sound the same either way.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I still haven't sorted it out. Been stupid busy.

But... what does it matter?? Really Steve??

It's wrong.

Violins are stacked to centre and left. Cellos and double bass to the right.

Also for those musicians who take the time to record their offerings in a professional manner, I'd like to give myself the benefit of hearing it how they intended it to sound. Not otherwise.

Also I only use headphones for late night telly.

Hate the things for music.

Also also. Changing the wires around would be a pain as I'd have to rechange them when listening to cds, itunes and blurays.

Last edited:
Curious you talked about trying someone else's system to see if they were having the same problem, did you get a chance to do that?

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom