1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spot Lights, Dimmer and Pronto - help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by common, Apr 30, 2004.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can anyone give me some simple advice on how to control some spotlights via a 950 pronto ?

Thanks

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's a great help - many thanks

4. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not used these, however from reading the description it looks like if you have a spare button on your sony remote (i.e. it does currently control anything else) you can to teach the switch that code.

If your 2 lights are currently controlled by 1 switch then you can simply replace that 1 switch as long as the load isn't over 400 watts I think they quote, if you want to control each light independently then you'll need 2 (and probably some rewiring.

Maybe someone who's bought these can confirm the learning ability of the unit.

6. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used these. I had a double button job and I used it successfully with a noddy learning remote and then with a ProntoNeo. Basically the light switch learns any IR code you send it, so you press the light switch a couple of times til the lights flash on and off twice or something and then press any spare button on your remote and the light switch "learns" it and will thereafter use it to turn on/off and dim (if you keep the button pressed down).

Two things to note:
    1. Everytime you have a power cut (even for a second) you have to reprogram the light switch. Where I live this is regular event and was a little bit of a pain but considering the functionality you get for your money with this I shouldn't really complain.
    2. More importantly, it says very clearly in the info sheets for this switch that it doesn't work with toroidal transformers (or something). To a numty like me this meant nothing and I had been using this successfully with just bare light bulbs when I bought two sets of LV halogen spotlights from Ikea. Shortly after I connected them switch burnt out and I was told later by someone on this forum that I had been a very lucky chap indeed 'cos my house could have burnt down or similar.

Anyway, as long as you don't try and connect this switch to LV lights (or take electrical advice from some who knows what they're doing) I would recommend these to anyone. Being able to dim the lights from the comfort of your armchair adds that extra special touch