Sporty Diesel Hatchback

blackrod

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone off here recommend just that, a sporty diesel hatchback? I am thinking of a 1-2 year old example and 5 doors. I have decided not to be badge proud this time but I am looking for decent enough quality inside not to feel I am stepping down too much! Anyone drive such a car or is ITK to give good advice?

i would say look at the skoda range!

vw/audi with a silly badge ;)

Dare I say Any of the alfas? You either love em or hate them.

To be fair Im a lover, well love the depreciation figures! means I can get a decent Alfas after someone else takes a HUGE hit of depreciation!

147 gets replaced later this year I believe, prob see a drop in vlaue of existing range. therefore good value.

I got this a few weeks back, although not a diesel (they do do one i believe)

VehicleImageaxd-1.jpg

I'd start looking at the....

Skoda Fabia Vrs 130bhp
Astra Sri 150bhp
Leon FR 170bhp
BMW 120d 160-174bhp

My fav sport oil burner hatch atm is the Golf GT Sport TDI DSG DPF

which also gets the silliest name award !

Best value whilst still looking very nice goes to the Leon FR 2.0 TDI 170PS, with the cheapish 18" option for £350

lots of people chip the VAG 170tdi as well, some with invisible mods like revo technik

Vote from me for the Leon 2.0 170PS too.
Better looking than the Golf (maybe not on the interior)- cheaper and a little bit rarer on the roads.

With that budget id also go for either the golf or the leon. Both seem really good for cars powered by satan juice

I know its satan juice but the problem with petrol hot hatch's is that they tend to cripple you when you drive with a heavy right foot. That said, if I can get 30-35 mpg in a petrol then I would be happy enough as diesel is so much more expensive to buy.

I really like the look of the Seat FR and 170bhp and all that torque sounds like fun! Plus, you don't see many around do you and I like that.

Good call for the Alfa's, they are stunning cars but a friend had one for a company car and it spent more time in the garage than on the road so it's put me off somewhat...

Almost forgot the Civic 2.2 i-CDTi 138bhp and 0-60 in 8.3 so no sloutch.

Good call for the Alfa's, they are stunning cars but a friend had one for a company car and it spent more time in the garage than on the road so it's put me off somewhat...

Probably true I have to admit!

No offence people Im interested in this also, as may be tempted away from the the Italian Garage Groupie for the mrs, but is the VAG group the ONLY thing people can come up with ? seem so... boring choices... again sorry sorry no offence, just want to find my car in in the local sainsburys when I come out if you know what I mean!

btw mrs wants the 120d, I know we wont find this either in the car park!

I know you don't want VAG, but to be honest I think you'd be mad not to look at the Leon, Golf or Audi a3.
:beer:
Sidicks

BMW 118 and 120 look sweet

118 has 140bhp, 0-6 in 9 seconds and 62mpg on th combined cycle.

120D has 170bhp and still gets 55+ mpg

I know its satan juice but the problem with petrol hot hatch's is that they tend to cripple you when you drive with a heavy right foot. That said, if I can get 30-35 mpg in a petrol then I would be happy enough as diesel is so much more expensive to buy.

tell me about it. I run a focus st3 and its pretty poor on economy ( avge round town trips is 21mpg )

Id sell a kidney to get 30-35mpg out of it

is the VAG group the ONLY thing people can come up with ? seem so... boring choices...

There is a good reason why VAG and BMW are the most popular choices of the discerning motorist and that is because they make excellent cars

Not just excellent cars, but some of the best diesel engines around. Easy to tune/remap aswell. My personal choice would be a Seat, excellent engines, much cheaper than VW & Audi and look nicer/ less common.

what about a mondeo st tdci? they look sweet :smashin:

i've got a Leon fr tdi and whilst its a hoot to drive there are bad things as well - poorly built, dpf problems unless you thrash it around everywhere and Seat UK are pretty poor when it comes to aftercare.
i bought it having test driven the civic diesel and the focus tdci but looking back i should have gone for the civic - better built and almost as quick as the leon. it depends i guess, is the performance really worth all that?
btw - the bmw is overpriced imo but its got the right badge on it. the 123d dows look pretty tasty though,power and handling should be good!

Buy a BMW 120D :thumbsup:

They are not a good buy new, but 2nd hand they can be excellent. You need to find one with lots of extra's which would make it a bargain.

The guy I bought mine from had put over 5 grands worth of extras into the car including leather, keyless entry and start, puddle lighting, the Hi-Fi system including Logic 7, Xenons and a whole lot more. The car was less than 2 years old, 19000 on the clock and cost me £14995.

I've owned it for 2 years, so its coming up to 4 years old, and it still looks like new inside when other brands can start to look tatty. I didn't buy the car for the badge, I bought it as its got bags of power for a small car, I like the looks, and its rear wheel drive. It also has a far smoother engine than the equivalent 170bhp VAG engine IMO. :)

yeah, have to say the beemer engine is much smoother and doesn't sound quite as tractor like as mine! do you not find the boot too small though, if you don't need boot space though its a great car:thumbsup:

Buy a BMW 120D :thumbsup:

They are not a good buy new, but 2nd hand they can be excellent. You need to find one with lots of extra's which would make it a bargain.

The guy I bought mine from had put over 5 grands worth of extras into the car including leather, keyless entry and start, puddle lighting, the Hi-Fi system including Logic 7, Xenons and a whole lot more. The car was less than 2 years old, 19000 on the clock and cost me £14995.

I've owned it for 2 years, so its coming up to 4 years old, and it still looks like new inside when other brands can start to look tatty. I didn't buy the car for the badge, I bought it as its got bags of power for a small car, I like the looks, and its rear wheel drive. It also has a far smoother engine than the equivalent 170bhp VAG engine IMO. :)

I Dont get the 1 series, true its a very good drivers car but as a real world car it has huge flaws, none existant rear room unless the people in the front are smurfs and a boot that makes the minis looks spacious. May as well get a Z4 imo

I know this is a 3 door, but you can get it in a 5 door ( this one has the F1 decals on as well :thumbsup: ).

Megane Sport 175 BHP Diesel (same as the 225 just an oil burner inside), great handling. ( bag on top is an optional extra :D - found it through www.meganesport.net)

renault_megane_sport_f1_team_r26_2007_14.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom