Sports Photography - Huge Learning Curve

monkeyleader

Novice Member
Morning all,

Firstly let me wish you all a very happy new year .... man 2013 ... it's beyond Sci-Fi ...

What started out as me talking a few shots for the local club I used to play for as this season ended up with me shooting at Premiership Level - on behalf o Action Plus.

Man it's been such a learning curve, not only from the obvious technical challenges of taking photos, under pressure (time), and in pretty poor conditions at times ... but also from simple things like card management, keeping kit dry, knowing what sells, keeping out of the way of other togs while shooting, seating, workflow, shoot large enough to crop etc etc ....

It's been (and continues to be) a busy festive period with Norwich v City and QPR v Liverpool already shot - Spurs v Reading and Chelsea v QPR to come over the next 2 days.

Am I pleased with my shots? Well as with any area of my photography I'm always quite critical and more so with the sports stuff as I really want to make a real go of this. I'm probably only happy with about 25% of my shots .. still plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway I know there are a few sports shooters on the forums ... I'm quite interested in their essential gear (non photography) like seating, clothing, weather protection etc ...

It seems every game I go to there is something new to turn my head in regards to extra kit ..... trying to make sense of it all .. I know there are a few things I need to improve my experience ...

cheers,

Nigel

Pete Delaney

Good luck with it Nigel. No tips but I wish you the all the best.

I reckon Gortex must be on your list.... keep you dry at least.

This could be interesting to read as a thread.
Pete

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Good luck with it Nigel. No tips but I wish you the all the best.

I reckon Gortex must be on your list.... keep you dry at least.

This could be interesting to read as a thread.
Pete
+1 - Happy New Year! to you too (and all at AVF) when it arrives tonight :smashin:

mucca_D

Happy new year to you too.

Lets see;
Laptop hood
Laptop table/tripod thing
4G mobile phone contract for super quick uploads
Manfroto multi bracket to put second body in different places
Remote trigger
Fisheye lens
In ear radio to listen to commentary
Jeans with knee pads built in