• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sports Direct

• Thread starter Deleted member 221953
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 221953

Bought a couple of pairs of shorts from sports direct today, however, they don't look that good on. Sports direct say that only store credit or exchange is allowed, is this right? Since they don't have a changing room to try clothing on, surely that's not allowed?

Any ideas?

Martin

Graham27

Distinguished Member
As far as I know it's fine. It's a while since I dealt with this type of thing, but they're a pretty big organisation and this has been highlighted before. If they were doing anything wrong then they'd likely have been pulled up on it before now.

Sorry :(

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

Yeah, that's their standard practice I'm afraid. It's perfectly legal for them to operate that way and it's not going to change any time soon.
I've yet to find a branch that doesn't have a changing room though. That's the loophole that allows them to get away with this practice as far as I'm aware.

Graham27

Distinguished Member
I think emmiller meant that the store they visited didn't have a changing room.

Either way, I don't think it makes a difference if there's a changing room or not. If you choose to buy, the standard SOGA rules apply. You can only demand a refund for goods which don't conform to contract.

MIghtyG

Bought a couple of pairs of shorts from sports direct today, however, they don't look that good on. Sports direct say that only store credit or exchange is allowed, is this right? Since they don't have a changing room to try clothing on, surely that's not allowed?

Any ideas?

Martin

As you bought them in person the Sale of goods act applies.

Under this you are only entitled to a Refund if: the goods are not fit for purpose, faulty, dont last a reasonable period of time.

Even if one of these apply Sport direct are within their rights to supply you with a replacement or repair the defective items within a reasonable time frame before they are required to refund you.

If you had bought them over the net you could get a refund under distance seller regulations (I believe) as you aren't given an oppertunity to inspect the items prior to entering into a contract to buy them. I think the normal colling off period for this is around 7 days, if you inform them in writing within 7 days you can send them back for a refund although I think you are not entitled to be refunded postage.

YankTank

Thats why I rarely buy anything from this store.......terrible policy, especially as you cant guarantee if you try and exchange something they will have the right size to exchange for. It seems to me the stuff they often have is end of line/seconds stock....one off lines. Only buy stuff there if you are 100% sure its exactly right, like trainers you have tried on in another shop.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
You may want to double check that point about changing rooms. Every sports direct store I've been in has 1 or 2 locked cubicles to the side of the tills - not obviously changing rooms and not advertised as changing rooms beause they don't actually want people in them. I'd be amazed if the store you bought in didn't have this facility.

aneeqa

Yep got caught out when buying daughters running shoes for school. Picked up a pair instore which were the wrong ones and then ordered the correct ones online which were cheaper than buying instore.

Took the original pair back expecting a refund( didn't even take them out of the box) only to be told that I could either have an exchange or a credit note for £60!!!!!!!!

So I'd shelled out best part of £100 on one pair of trainers and a credit note. Fuming would be an understatement.

Luckily I used the credit note in 3 months as my son wanted some trainers, but as the previous poster will NEVER set foot in any of their stores.

Also can't they find the off switch for the heating as every bloody store is like a sauna!!!!!!!!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I don't understand why people can't try on trainers in the shop? I bought a pair of golf shoes the other month and ended up trying lots of different pairs and one of the assistants got me a few different sizes of the same style from the store room so I could try them all on.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I hate the place, its often over full of tat, staff are unhelpful, and the prices mis-leading (inflated original price/massive discount)... then you have all those once famous decent brands (eg Karrimor), being used to sell crap quality stuff.

Yes its cheap, but I would rather pay a few quid more, like the DW store next to where my lad goes swimming, great helpful staff and fair prices.

Now someone has pointed out you can not get cash refunds I am never likely to go back there ever again.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I don't understand why people can't try on trainers in the shop? I bought a pair of golf shoes the other month and ended up trying lots of different pairs and one of the assistants got me a few different sizes of the same style from the store room so I could try them all on.

I've tried on trainers/shoes in store in Sports Direct many times with no problems, in the stores near me all the sizes are on the shop floor (boxed) so staff let you do it yourself.

Last edited:

Graham27

Distinguished Member
As you bought them in person the Sale of goods act applies.

Under this you are only entitled to a Refund if: the goods are not fit for purpose, faulty, dont last a reasonable period of time.

Even if one of these apply Sport direct are within their rights to supply you with a replacement or repair the defective items within a reasonable time frame before they are required to refund you.
Not quite :) If you've just bought the goods and they don't conform to contract, you can 'reject' them for a refund. You also missed that goods have to be 'As described' ;) So if you buy a pair of waterproof shoes, and they leak the first time you wear them, you can reject them and get your money back.

That aside, I don't really understand why people consider it bad customer service for a store not to offer refunds for unwanted purchases? There's no obligation for a shop to do so. I mean, it's Sports Direct, not John Lewis :) People obviously don't shop there for the experience! They're so cheap because of the way they do things.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've tried on trainers/shoes in store in Sports Direct man times with no problems, in the stores near me all the sizes are on the shop floor so staff let you do it yourself.

Indeed that's what I meant :) I was replying to people who said they'd bought trainers and got them home and they didn't fit. Not only did the girl help me find the style I wanted on the shelves, she also went and searched for more sizes for me.

I will say this though, when I go to SD I always go at a time when I know there won't be many people there because it's a nightmare at the weekends!

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
truly hateful place , i recently bought 2 hooded tops , first time i wore one it shedded loads of grey fluff from the inside , so i washed them , did the same again , so i took them back , it took me 30 minutes to convince them that they were not fit for purpose and i should get a refund , they kept saying that i could have a replacement of the same item , for some reason they couldnt get it into their heads that the replacements would do the same :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom