Sports Car owners...feasible everyday drive?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
So my Audi lease is up in a year. I quite fancy a two seater sports car for a couple of years once the deal has finished on my current ride. The caveats are that I do around 1200 miles a month. I'll lease again so not really fussed about depreciation. I've looked into fuel costs and they aren't wildly more expensive then my current costs. My miles are mostly notched on the M25 but I am also in central london a couple of times a week.

Currently getting quotes on a Porsche Cayman 718, entry level spec model. My sensible alternative is Merc C200 coupe although not sure a diesel will be sensible if they are going to be banned from London soon.

Last edited:

rousetafarian

So my Audi lease is up in a year. I quite fancy a two seater sports car for a couple of years once the deal has finished on my current ride. The caveats are that I do around 1200 miles a week. I'll lease again so not really fussed about depreciation. I've looked into fuel costs and they aren't wildly more expensive then my current costs. My miles are mostly notched on the M25 but I am also in central london a couple of times a week.

Currently getting quotes on a Porsche Cayman 718, entry level spec model. My sensible alternative is Merc C200 coupe although not sure a diesel will be sensible if they are going to be banned from London soon.
Hi Steve, before I go virtual shopping for you did you really mean 4800 miles/month as an average?

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Could easily live with a Cayman as a daily doing that sort of mileage.

un1eash

Distinguished Member

BobBob21

Your lease price is based on the depreciation and so you should be worried by it.

Have had both an F-Type and a SL as two seater convertibles and both were very useable on a day to day basis. Clearly both are nice cars but I didn't think either were too flashy but was surprised by the amount of comments from random people - not a problem but not really my kind of thing.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I had a Cayman and a Qashqai as I needed 4 seats and a boot to pick up my mother (she went in the boot), larger shopping trips etc.
I do about 15,000 miles a year. In 3 years the Qashqai did 5200 miles.

Cayman is a cracking every day sports car, although I haven't driven the new 4 cylinder ones.
It's comfortable, practical (for a 2 seater), rides well and pretty refined.
Best of all it's fantastic to drive, whether that's a track day, a quiet country road or just churning the miles on the motorway or in town.

Last edited:

DOBLY

The Cayman is a good choice - just don't get carried away with options - I had a play with the configurator and managed to double the cost of the car!

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I have seen plenty of talk about the 4 cylinder models sounding a lot less the part then previous models. Doesn't really matter to me too much.

Had a play with the configurator. Whats everyones thoughts on the must have extras?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm not the right person to ask as the last Cayman I configured was so expensive I just bought a used 911 instead that had most of the options on it already for about the same money.

:p

gibbsy

I have seen plenty of talk about the 4 cylinder models sounding a lot less the part then previous models. Doesn't really matter to me too much.

Had a play with the configurator. Whats everyones thoughts on the must have extras?
Crawler gear for the M25.:)

kryton85

There's so many factors that could sway the correct answer to this such as your height, ongoing pains, uses for car, budget for servicing etc etc. Example, I had a lotus exige that I had to fold myself up into & became painful to use as I'm 6ft 5, sold it to a mate & he's been happy ever since. I had a road legal rally car that ended up using daily whilst another car had work done & I got on fine with it but my missus used to refuse to get in it because the suspension jarred her back. I think with most modern sports cars these days, they are designed so they can be used daily with far more comfort than ever before but certain things may end up getting on some people's nerves after a while. I personally wouldn't have an issue using one but the 2 large dogs probably wouldn't appreciate it these days lol

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I'm 5'7", a short ass. Doubt comfort would be an issue but the ride may get annoying. My current drive is a Q3 so the seating position is quite high. Start contrast to what the cayman would be. I have my Audi on 19" wheels though so its not the smoothest ride it could be. Need to get a test drive sorted.

davepuma

Distinguished Member

I've driven a few Caymans and Boxsters. Porsche are very stingy with standard kit but at least on the 718, you get a decent stereo, sat nav, Bluetooth and Xenons. The standard suspension is excellent and the standard alcantara interior looks good but I prefer the upgraded sports seats plus which are leather or part (cloth) sport-tex only which is a shame as I really rate alcantara on seats. A few must haves would be a wheel upgrade (the 19 boxster S wheel is nice but I prefer the 20 options), cruise, auto wipers, parking sensors and climate control. PDK sounds like it would be ideal for you but autos bore me. Avoid sport chrono unless you track the car, it's brutal in pdk sport plus mode but I think you'd tire of it. Launch control sounds great for pub bragging rights but a waste of time in a road car. The great thing about all the options is you get to spec the car how you like it and you can go for a classy look eg GT silver with turbo wheels or more sporty with yellow, orange or red etc with Carrera S or sport wheels. I wouldn't go daft on options but if you do maybe look at the S model. The base models are plenty quick though. Mine should be here at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Thanks Dave. Great post. TBH, I am very similar to you in my needs. All your basics are the same as mine for sure. I'd want the 20s on the car as I think it just looks so much sleeker. PDK is a must for me and the miles I do. I have always gone for black cars but feel like it might be time for a change. Maybe gunmetal grey with window tints and black alloys.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom