Spore - Discussion Thread

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Kotaku have posted up some new screens for this oft-delayed game.

I'm quite intrigued as to what you actually do in this game (I still have no idea, despite how many videos I've seen!) I have a feeling that this maybe like Black & White, where you play it for an hour and then never touch it again. Time will tell...

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Kotaku have posted up some new screens for this oft-delayed game.

I'm quite intrigued as to what you actually do in this game (I still have no idea, despite how many videos I've seen!) I have a feeling that this maybe like Black & White, where you play it for an hour and then never touch it again. Time will tell...
Spore could possible be the greatest game ever made, if it's ever released. I'm sure this is going to be the new Duke Nukem Forever.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
I believe the idea of this game is to create your intial gene sequence, then generally sit back, watch it develop and have a series of tools to try and influence it's development.

TBH imagine a more complex sims, they do their own thing, but you can use the environment to influence them.

Personally, I think it could either be genius or just another sims clone.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Maybe I'm just being cynical, I remember before B&W came out it was getting rave reviews and I was really hyped for it. When I actually got it, whilst it was technically brilliant, it wasn't that fun to play. That's my main concern with Spore, will it actually be any fun...

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
That's my main concern with Spore, will it actually be any fun...

Yeah, I agree, I think the SIMs is along the same lines, it is actually quite addictive, but it is not really fun. I couldn't play it longer than 2 hours, then I felt it was just dull.

Mind you I feel the same about most MMORPGs, they just keep you going with the feeling to get to the next level or the next item, but essentially they are not that fun to play.

Just very addictive.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
That's the main reason why I've never been able to get into MMORPG's and even the traditional turn-based RPG. I just find the games very dull. I can see why people play them (and are willing to fork out a monthly subscription to do so) but they are really not for me.

danvitale

Novice Member
Spore looks incredible. In development since 2000 and is actually going to get released next year. The idea of following evolution from a small microbe to a species capable of galactic domination is quite staggering. I really cant wait to see the finished article.

booyaka

Maybe I'm just being cynical, I remember before B&W came out it was getting rave reviews and I was really hyped for it. When I actually got it, whilst it was technically brilliant, it wasn't that fun to play. That's my main concern with Spore, will it actually be any fun...
agreed - B&W was amazing to play at first but after about 2/3 hours never touched it again!

Will be interested to see what spore is like and wether it's a huge hit or miss. Seems like ages since it was announced and wether it ever actual gets released will be interesting to see.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Well it's being published by EA so I'm sure they'll start cranking the pressure soon enough and makes sure this thing ships out of the door!

danvitale

Novice Member
Im expecting a Summer 08 release at the earliest.

It's one of those games that will take ages but will be incredible upon release.. a bit like Mass Effect..

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
But Mass Effect is something I am definitely looking forward to more, probably because I know what to expect from the game. The developers behind Spore have to be commended for trying something different (even though it's probably just a different take on the Sims/God genre).

I certainly am intrigued what to expect, it's just that at this point I have no idea!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I take it you haven't seen the very long gameplay video that was released a while ago then?

I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I did see a vid where the developer was giving a walk through, but tbh I still couldn't really get what you were meant to do. It seems a bit like Viva Pinata where you watch the environment develop... ? :confused:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
For all of those naysayers out there (including me) it looks like Spore will release this year after all - well according to Shacknews anyway.

The company did, however, state that the game will be released this year. "We're not announcing dates for any of our titles. We will tell you it's gonna be before the holidays," said EA CEO John Riccitiello in the call, which is ongoing at time of writing. "We're very, very bullish."

Doz007

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Looking good, I really don't know what to make of this game. I think the EA CEO summed it up when he called it the greatest creative risk in the industry today.

John Ricitiello started his DICE keynote with a list of games he's currently playing—Burnout Paradise, BioShock, Portal. The one game he's playing that we're not is Spore, a title he said he'd become "fixated" on. While John got the crowd up to speed on his gaming chops, he admitted "Deep down, I'm a business guy." That helps explain Riccitiello's publicly expressed hesitance about the ultimate success of the Will Wright "SimEverything" game.

"It's probably the greatest creative risk maybe going on in the game industry today," he said, responding to audience questions about dealing with failure. Calling Spore "massive" he continued, "I believe it's going to be one of the greatest franchises in our industry and will rival World of Warcraft or The Sims or Rock Band. It's going to be right up there."

"Or not."

He went on to say that EA was "100% behind the team that's creating that, and we will live and fall together," regardless of the outcome, but that the project was one that was well thought out and well executed.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
There were quite a few previews out today including one from Eurogamer and bit-tech.

I have to say it sounds great and the "single player MMO" sounds superb - really looking forward to the release on 5th Septmber!

Doz007

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Yep, apparently Wright was saying that what we've seen so far only integrates 1% of the ideas MAxis has. If it is successful they will incorporate other parts - it certainly gives you an idea of scale.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
EA are launching a free demo of the Spore creature creator on 17th June.

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Maxis today announced that a free downloadable demo, and complete retail version of the Spore™ Creature Creator will be available starting June 17, 2008. The Spore Creature Creator gives Spore fans, and those who are creatively curious, the first hands-on opportunity to design their own species and share it with their friends. All creatures designed with the Spore Creature Creator can be imported into the full retail version of Spore for PC and Mac when it launches on September 5, 2008 in Europe and September 7, 2008 in North America.

The free demo version of the Spore Creature Creator will be available worldwide via download from www.spore.com. The demo lets players shape, paint and play with an unlimited number of creatures, using 25 percent of the creature-making parts from Spore. Gamers can then share these creations with their friends, including seamless uploads to YouTube. The demo will also be included in the The SimCity™ Box, which ships on June 23.

A complete retail version of the Spore Creature Creator will also be available in North America for $9.99 and most European territories for €9.99, which gives players access to all the creature-making parts in the game.

Spore, the highly anticipated game from the creators of The Sims™, gives players their own personal universe in a box. Create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even UFOs. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world or explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
The minimum system requirements for the game have been revealed, it looks like even old computers should be able to play this.

FOR WINDOWS XP

2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
512 MB RAM
A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
At least 6 GB of hard drive space
FOR WINDOWS VISTA

2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
768 MB RAM
A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
At least 6 GB of hard drive space
When launching the game, some Microsoft Vista users may receive a warning about running out of address space along with a link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base. If you see this message, it is recommended that you follow the instructions and go to the website listed in the message to update your system.

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:

Intel Integrated Chipset, 945GM or above.
2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.
768 MB RAM
Supported Video Cards

ATI Radeon(TM) series

9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3650, 3850

NVIDIA GeForce series

FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800

Intel(R) Extreme Graphics

GMA 950, GMA X3000, GMA X3100
Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slowly. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts, such as the 945GU, GML, and GMS, will not perform adequately.

Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn’t listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Also the Sporepedia is now available on the official site. As a reminder, the Spore Creature Creator will be released next Tuesday 17th June.

Bushido

Not sure about this one...I know its going to be a A+ rated game but i just can't seem to get excited about it yet...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021