Spoons

John Simon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Have Weatherspoons lost the plot here?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7170939.stm

We rarely go into "spoons" & its normally for a quick bite & a drink (non - alcoholic) whilst out for the day.

I suppose there are a small minority who would get hammered whist out with their kids but how do you police it.

I really resent being told what I can't do even though I wouldn't do it - if that makes sense.

I personally think its a good thing Spoons have never been about Kids its about cheap booze hardly the place for kids.
Also with the amount of pubs in the UK I really dont see it as a problem if you have kids go elsewhere to somewhere thats probably more suitable, to me its only the same as a pub that says no hats, football shirts or smart dress only

Personally I get fed up with a culture that says kids are welcome just about anywhere.
There should be children free zones and I think Weatherspoons are on the right track.

Never knew kids could go in Wetherspoon pubs anyway, all the ones around here are town centre boozers so not exactly family orientated. Reserved for the 'under 20s alcopop' & 'over 70s nothing better to do' generations...

imo I can't enjoy a drink with kids screaming and running around so I applaud Wetherspoons for some common sense. A pub is no place for a child and furthermore why you would want to get drunk when you have a kid in tow is beyond me

A pub is no place for a child and furthermore why you would want to get drunk when you have a kid in tow is beyond me

Especially a pub in Wallasey; Land of the Inbred :eek:

I applaud 'Spoons for taking this stance, especially as most of their places are full of people getting smashed on the cheap booze they sell there. Children should be allowed in pubs but at the discretion of the manager.

I really resent being told what I can't do even though I wouldn't do it - if that makes sense.

Possibly nearly as much as Wetherspoons resent being told how to run their business.

Forget the families, get the old people out. There's one old woman at our local 'spoons who drives her mobility scooter, complete with plastic roof, into the bar and just sits there reading the paper all day with the roof over her. Every so often she falls asleep. All the while she is blocking the main entrance and she is never told to move along, despite never ordering a drink or food.

I'm worried that one day she will actually have fallen asleep and died.:rolleyes:

I think it's a great move by Wetherspoons. I have children and enjoy going to our local one as their steak/curry evenings are great value eating for the whole family. As i drive the one free pint with my meal is plenty and we don't stay longer than the meal as the boys have school the next day. Our local even supplies crayons & colouring books to keep the boys busy. So if it means it'll keep out the other kind of parents who want to go out & get drunk while their kids run riot then good on them. :smashin:

I can see both sides of the argument. People are saying that children shouldn't be around adults getting smashed......but erm....children will be in the pubs during the day not in the evening/night, and if adults are getting smashed during the day, then they really need to find some new hobbies or a job. I suppose if you offer dirt cheap price beer, you're going to attract the dole crowd and underage drinkers anyway.

The trouble with this country is, we can't just go for a drink, we have to and get smashed.

I am all for it. Its bad enough I get other peoples kids forced on me everywhere I go. I would like to go to a pub at least without having to put up with them.
Just before christmas I went in a spoons for breakfast about 10:30 there were a few kids in there most sitting at a table having breakfast but one kid was zooming around the place whilst his mother sat with a pint in the comfy sofa and stared at the television! Makes my blood boil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom