1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**spoilers** Just back from Revenge of the Sith **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bristol Pete, May 19, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Saw the half midnight showing of ROTS.

Opening half hour was superb.

Middle plodded slightly. Order 66 was well handled.

The big fight with obi-wan and Anakin - good, though lava surfing was silly.

Rounded off nicely but all to brief.

As a film I would say 5 out of ten.

IMO no where near as good as Friday night Lights which I had watched the night before - though 110% different.

Cheers,

Pete.

2. BigEvilJimmy

BigEvilJimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    just back from it, it's better than the other prequels but still no where near the standard of the originals, altho the new orange ad is very cool.

3. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Cap Ben
    End was way too rushed
    The film had the same issues as the other prequals - the dialogue in some scenes was terribly delivered (chringe!)
    Yoda still ROCKS!
    the obi wan & lizard thing was annoying - would prefer the speed bikes as in ROTJ
    5/10
    ESB still the best as it actually absorbed the viewer.

4. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    5/10 is way too low for a film that had one of the best opening sequences I've seen in a sci-fi.
    Minimal romance and more action makes it easier to digest. Dialogue is sometimes poor and Hayden Christensen is never going to be a great actor but these are things we knew before going in to see it. The Lizard method of transport was silly but all are very minor moans from a film that is two hours long.
    Well worth seeing and more like 8/10 for me.

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    Obi Wan and Anakin have a fight??? Cheers Pete, you've ruined the film, should have had a spoiler warning...where's Garret, I'm telling on you! ;)

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    To me, the problem is that the romance stuff is cringe worthy. I feel no empathy nor sympathy to Anakin and Padme as the relationship falls apart as they simply cannot deliver the goods where required.

Pete.

7. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :hiya: All

****SPOILER ALERT********

Just back from the 9.00am showing in Slough this morning.

First the Highs.....

The Orange Ad . Very clever.
    Approx the first 30 mins of the Movie. Excellent SFX.
    Yoda still rocks !!!

The Lows....

The middle of the movie
    Dialogue.
    Ending.

Conclusion 5/10 . I'll wait until a SE DVD comes out before seeing it again.

Did anyone get the impression that there is an intermediate story to be told about the LUKE & LEAH childhood between episodes 3 & 4.

Also what happened during the intervening years of Yoda's and Obi Wan's self imposed exile.

Del :confused:

8. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Well just got back from the 0615am showing at the printworks in Manchester, took my dad as he took me to the first 28 years ago I thought it only fitting to take him to the last (pity my bro couldn't go, but he was washing his hair or something) anyway onto the film.
    Well its I have to say this film justifies the wait and more than makes up for the other two prequels, from the opening space battle to all the tie ins this film bridges the gap beautifully to a New Hope.
    The opening battle sequence has just so much on screen it warrants many more viewings, in fact the special effects throughout are outstanding, though I would have prefffered to see a lot more of the wookie battle. As with all SW films the dialogue isn't particularly great but what needs to be said is and this is just used to link each set piece nicely.
    Anakins fall to the dark side is done well I think and when you view the subsequent films you'll view them differently I think especially after seeing Anakin's reaction to Amidala's death.
    The star of the show is Palpatine he is just plain evil and the way he just uses people is great, note the look on Dooku's face when he realises he was just been used, brilliant. There are lightsabre battles aplenty and particularly poignant is when the order to exterminate the Jedi is given, with a great John Williams score behind it, you really want the Jedi to win but you know they aren't
    As to wether your kids can see it, well personally the only part I can see that will be seriously disturbing is near the end when Anakin is transformed into Vader, put it this way I'm a fireman and the special effects are bloody realistic
    Overall I think Lucas has hit the nail on the head, he ties up all the loose ends, and this is by far the best of the prequels, after ESB and SW this is next on my list.
    After coming out of the cinema from watching Return of the Jedi, I remember feeeling sad and disappointed because I thought it wasn't a particularlly good film but also that there would be (to my knowledge) anymore SW films, this time I left with the same feelings but for different reasons, because I know that there will be no more SW films and after watching ROTS I so want there because it was such good film.
    So overall everything a SW fan could want is in this film and I thouroughly recommend it, Lucas has turned SW saga from space epic to a story about the love of one person for another, set in space, and he does it without you realising till the very end. I'm off again this afternoon to see it in digital.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    8/10 for me, loved it

10. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Well I just got back.

One word disappointed, I don't know what I was expecting but the film did not deliver.

The acting was EXCEPTIONALLY wooden especially in the first half hour. Towards the last half hour you know exactly what is going to happen and that sort of spoils it as there are no more surprises.

However the action did rock and Yoda kicks ass, and you only see Jar Jar for about 3 seconds.

It is without a doubt the better of the first three but is a LONG way of the par of the others.

I would give it 6/10. One of my friends bought too many tickets so I am going to see it again tonight, maybe my opinion will change.

11. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Watched last night @ 00:30

I am a complete star wars nut so for me I loved it :clap: :smashin:

Also got to watch in a digital screen, have to say the image was outstanding, almost as good as at home! :cool: :rolleyes:

Going to see again on Sunday.

*********** Spoiler ******************

One thing that really did get me a bot thought, was how over the I II III they make out that Anakin really is the bees nees, and that Obi-Wan is not as good, shown by both fights with Dooku, but then suddenly Obi-Wan can get the better of Annakin????

*********** End Spoiler *****************

Ian.

12. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really liked it. empire is still number 1 film for me then a new hope then in third place revenge which is no mean feat .

13. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    6 / 10 i think

maybe because we know what is going to happen the film loses something (i know, not a lot that can be done !!), but there was something not quite right.

also, i thought the lave surfing stuff looked a little ropey, as did some of the quick jumping moves early on in the film (but hey, picking little holes in a lot of CGI there)...

and what is with the voice of Darth :rolleyes:

saying that, the 2.20 hours went very quickly (always a good sign), and I did enjoy it, probably go see it again - just to see Yoda getting it on :thumbsup:

14. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    just seen and it and i loved it,massive star wars fan so these prequels have to live up to big expectations.My only main problem was with the wookies,they just didnt do much on screen,problem now is that i want to see a movie of luke and leia growing up and what darth and the emporer did to all the systems leading up to a new hope,

15. Andy H

Andy H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got back from the 12.15pm showing at Vue in Bristol (Cribbs).
    Couldn't make the midnight showing last night as was in Brum for Moby gig.

I REALLY liked it a lot, I thought was amazing. I would give it 9/10.

Like everyone says the opening is truly stunning and there is so much going on it's hard to take it all in first time.

The film turns very dark around an hour in and stays that way right to the ending.

I loved the closing of the film so much, it felt very Godfather style by cutting from one scene to another. Links beautifully to New Hope which I plan to watch again tonight on dvd.

I'm not going into plot spoilers as I'd hate to ruin it for anyone.

Again, there are acting and dialogue issues but nowhere near Menace and Clones.

I will be watching again this weekend, you need to see SW films a few times to properly absorb them.

I enjoyed Menace and Clones but had issues with them. This is the best prequel by far.

If you disliked the previous prequels give it a try as my mate who hated them loved this one.

Can't wait for the dvd release!

I just can't believe it's all over now :(

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    just got back myself. i liked the other prequels but didnt think they were that great. this i would give a 9 or 10 out of 10 !!!! loved it all. light sabre fights were out of this world it was just an epic example of how Special effects should be done. down right superb and im going back to watch in imax soon i liked it that much

17. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Watched it this morning, goinf back in a couple of hours to see it again with my son. Bar one or two ropey CGi scenes the special effects are stunning, it is a feast on the eye. Can't wait to have it on disc to watch some scenes in slow motion.

The acting is strained at the best of times and the dialogue is something only George could produce, but hey Star Wars and not Citizen Kane.

It will take a couple of viewings to get the best from it, not because it's got heavy plot lines but theres just so much going on on screen that your eye will dart about all over the place.

Throughally enjoyable, and the first time in a long while I've actually seen a queue for a film going out the doors of the cinema. If you're a fan then you'll love it. If not then it's a case of "Nice legs, shame about the face."

Keith

P.S. Kopite, much as I like Liverpool, especially the halycon days of the mid 70's - early 80's you should have kept BauerCTU. May he rest in piece, much like Airforce 1 really.

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well I can't help feeling a bit sad now it is all over...no more star wars:(

Personally I thought the first 60 mins were the worst part of the film, I didn't think it added much to the film or plot....and what are those silly metal eating robots all about?

The way the plot developed and the turn to the dark side was rather good...and sidious was very good.

There were still much I didn't like, but it didn't take away from the film as much as the first 2.

Watching the last hour of this film just showed what a wasted opportunity the first two were. For me the first half of this movie should probably have been the last hour of the second movie so as to give this movie another hour.

A good film, much better than the first two, star wars fan boys won't be disappointed and for those ex fan boys like me there is still enough in it although to enjoy, but you will leave wanting more and regreting that George Lucas didn't hang up his directing 'talents after Episode IV

19. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Just been for the second time today and watched it in digital this time, stunning picture unfortunately I don't think it is coming in IMAX asthey didn't have enough time according to producer Rick McCallum. The second time round was just as good an I even managed to recognise George Lucas in it this time, the only thing I didn't see was the obligatory 1138 refrence in it so if anyone knows were it is let me know.
    Go watch enjoy its the last one :suicide:
    Personally I don't think making a series about in between 3-4 would be that good, they should go further forward and take up the New Jedi Order series about the Yuuzhan Vong now that would be good.

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

News reports are already surfacing that some :censored: has already leaked a copy of Star Wars 3 onto the Internet! :rolleyes: See here!

All I can say, is that whoever did this must be a total and utter :censored: !

Pooch

P.S. I still haven't seen Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones, so it might be a while for me, before I see Revenge Of The Sith.

21. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I think you could probably see ROS, without having to see the other two.

22. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Saw it this morning at Odeon Leicester Square. Thoroughly enjoyable. Excellent effects, very wooden acting but very entertaining and rounded things off nicely.

Thought Anakin's agreeing to become Darth Vader was way to quick and not the gradual seduction to the dark side that I'd imagined.

On the whole, good. A lot of strange people at the screening though waving lightsabres around!

23. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    The one thing I really like about the new movies is how they make yoda a poweful jedi master complete with lightsabe battles! Who would have thought it would work so well.

It is just a shame the way in which he talks a parody of himself it seems. I don't recall it being that bad and obviouse in ESB

24. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

I agree.

Kinda disappointed with how the light sabre fight between Obi Wan and Anakin ended as well.

25. tha-dizzle

tha-dizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got back from ROTS and i have to say bar non one of the best! CGI was spot on minus one or two scenes, Id even go as far as to say (IMO) Mr Christensen acted quite well.

Would of liked to see more of the wookies like but hey cant have it all.

Was lovin the Darth Vader bit at the end where he goes "NOOOOOOOOO" - Fantastic

9/10

DIZZLE

26. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My god...people dont think do they.
    Annakin is overconfident and thinks he is all powerfull ( a Siths Undoing )
    Good will always win over evil :devil:

27. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I too have finally managed to see this today and thought it was excellent.

This could have been no. II in the series with no. III bridging more of a gap between this and IV. I really liked the emporer and would loved to have seen much more of his evil anticts.

28. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I just came back from a second viewing (mate bought too many tickets, and I was only too happy to help him out!!!).

The acting did not seem as bad and I picked up on loads of things I missed in the first viewing.

I will change my initial rating from 6/10 to an 8.

29. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    On my second viewing I managed to spot Mr Lucas in the film but I didn't see any 1138 reference did anyone spot it?

30. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One of the numerous things that annoyed me about ROTS was that in George's desperate struggle to find a motivating force for Annakin's fall, he has Padme die in childbirth. This makes a complete nonsense of all the stuff in ROTJ about Leia remembering her mother.
    Also Sidious lures Annakin with promises of power over death, but then sort of says sorry mate she is dead. I would think Vader might be a bit ****** with him.
    I could go on , there were so many things in this movie plot-wise that just didn't work.
    Why is it that so many film-makers think we won't notice when their movies don't make sense.
    Sadly Mr.Lucas is nowhere near an able enough writer to tie together his epic themes.
    The action, space battle, light sabre bits were fun though.