Quantcast

Spoiler Thread! Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker - You've been warned!

Paden

What a shame, artwork looks fantastic!
At least it looks as though was an attempt to tie in with the previous two movies :(

Cheers, Paul

VisionMan

Some cool and beautiful stuff in there. The artwork is, as always, amazing. But have a guess as to why its called 'the unmade original version'? Because it was viewed as being sh*t so they didn't go with it.

I don't wholly agree with that opinion as there are some pretty cool artwork pieces in there that may have been good to see, but was pleased with the final on screen result. Which thankfully isn't a crime. :)

Last edited:

VisionMan

The artwork above has reminded me of this....
I'll tell you one thing that DID disappoint me about TROS. You know Rey carries a staff everywhere she goes yes? Then why on earth didn't we see her handling a double lightsabre staff kicking arse? Now THAT would have been a sight to see!

Dans1210

Who were all the hooded people with the emperor ? Snoke clones ? Did Matt Smith ever turn up ?
Sith followers/cultists as I understand it. Matt smith was dropped as the script was developed. Originally matt smith was to be the son of mortis from the clone wars. The visual dictionary for rise of skywalker is a great companion to the movie for what it’s worth...it helped me accept palpatines return in that ultimately he did die in rotj but it was his spirit that had been resurrected to what we see in tros. Your mileage may vary however!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Even more imagery revealed for Star Wars: Duel of the Fates.

Regardless of how good or bad Colin Trevorrow would have been as a director, the ideas and worldbuilding on display is exactly what was missing from TROS (and all the Disney trilogy). What a lost opportunity.

gavinhanly

Yes - I think that's the main issue from me too. Trevorrow may well have made a mess of it - let's face it, none of us were overwhelmed by the idea of him as director - but the designs we've seen really do outshine much of Ep 9.

gavinhanly

Yes I think they delayed it to avoid spoilers - but maybe by too much as it’s all starting to leak and it’s now not out until March (maybe timed for home release).

Fillumgeek

Design has always played a key role in Star Wars movies; it was one of George Lucas' main strengths.

The design and story concepts from Duel of the Fates look far superior to the finished film.

It seems Disney suffered a colossal loss of faith that led to the bland and cobbled together product, Rise of Skywalker.

Ironically, the zombie return of Palpatine sucked nearly all the life out of the movie. We'll never know how it would have been executed but without a Kylo Rendemption, episode 9 could also have been darker and more interesting.

Risk averse corporate Disney said "no".

Which is a shame.

I believe everyone here wanted 9 to be a good movie, every time you watch Rise of Skywalker it will only get worse and worse...

SDMDAM

For me it remains to be seen how it ages. I did actually enjoy it better second time around.

There is no possible way to tell if a Dual of the Fates would have been better than the one we got from a set of still images.

ROS is not without its flaws and the return of Palpafine grates with me as his story ended in ROTJ. Also, in my opinion, it kind of ruins the Snoke story although no doubt some work argue TLJ did that.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Had my third viewing at the weekend. Despite knowing that it could have been far better (even more so in the light of Trevorrow's aborted version and that amazing concept art), I still found it hugely entertaining once again. Adam and Daisy really elevate the film and JJ's pacing never loses momentum despite his clear lack of imagination. Saw it with my girlfriend's sister and she loved it, finding it funny and emotional (she didn't like Last Jedi).

As a side note, the cinema was surprisingly full given that it's been out over 5 weeks. Tales of Star Wars' death have been greatly exaggerated.

Fillumgeek

For me it remains to be seen how it ages. I did actually enjoy it better second time around.

There is no possible way to tell if a Dual of the Fates would have been better than the one we got from a set of still images.

ROS is not without its flaws and the return of Palpafine grates with me as his story ended in ROTJ. Also, in my opinion, it kind of ruins the Snoke story although no doubt some work argue TLJ did that.
For me, the flaw in ROS is basically the whole script. They have my sympathy after Carrie Fisher died but then they seemed to have forced too many scenes with her image in them.

I can't see how it ages well, unless it is completely re-cut (not happening), since the pacing is so bad, and the character work so shoddy for everyone in the movie, with the exception of Rey and Ben.

Yes there is no way of telling if Duel of the Fates would have been decent once filmed. It does seem a little dark which might be a reason Disney pulled the plug. A space battle above Coruscant might have been cool and a properly evil Kylo Ren would have been a greater test for Rey as well.

Fillumgeek

Had my third viewing at the weekend. Despite knowing that it could have been far better (even more so in the light of Trevorrow's aborted version and that amazing concept art), I still found it hugely entertaining once again. Adam and Daisy really elevate the film and JJ's pacing never loses momentum despite his clear lack of imagination. Saw it with my girlfriend's sister and she loved it, finding it funny and emotional (she didn't like Last Jedi).

As a side note, the cinema was surprisingly full given that it's been out over 5 weeks. Tales of Star Wars' death have been greatly exaggerated.
Overall numbers are just about satisfactory for the release. Did you really find it hugely entertaining on a 3rd viewing? 2nd viewing I could have slept or walked out.

I was trying to think what this movie reminded of and I think some of the really poor James Bond episodes, like Quantum of Solace or indeed, Spectre; you could just feel the corporate interference, script pages rushed into action, elements dropping off left right and centre, things just not making sense-despite looking handsome through the lens.

"The end result for Rise of Skywalker is indeed a disappointment. But, as a whole, Disney and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars relaunch has been a commercial success."

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Overall numbers are just about satisfactory for the release. Did you really find it hugely entertaining on a 3rd viewing? 2nd viewing I could have slept or walked out.

I was trying to think what this movie reminded of and I think some of the really poor James Bond episodes, like Quantum of Solace or indeed, Spectre; you could just feel the corporate interference, script pages rushed into action, elements dropping off left right and centre, things just not making sense-despite looking handsome through the lens.

"The end result for Rise of Skywalker is indeed a disappointment. But, as a whole, Disney and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars relaunch has been a commercial success."
As I said, it could have been better. Way better. JJ Abrams has all the world-building skills and visionary powers of a fruit salad. But he does know how to mint a crisp looking, action packed adventure that puts characters front and centre. And its in the Star Wars universe. On that level I was satisfied, and that will have to do.

The box office is disappointing when measured against the precedent set by the rest of the trilogy (and indeed, its Avengers counterparts), but its still big bucks and folks are still going out to see it.

Fillumgeek

As I said, it could have been better. Way better. JJ Abrams has all the world-building skills and visionary powers of a fruit salad. But he does know how to mint a crisp looking, action packed adventure that puts characters front and centre. And its in the Star Wars universe. On that level I was satisfied, and that will have to do.

The box office is disappointing when measured against the precedent set by the rest of the trilogy (and indeed, its Avengers counterparts), but its still big bucks and folks are still going out to see it.
Yep, to be fair I think Empire magazine had it 100% spot on with their review:

3 Stars, which means it is adequate.

gavinhanly

For me, it's the only one in the trilogy which I haven't seen at least twice in the cinema, and I might not do the Blu Ray either and just wait for Disney Plus instead. I agree with Lucas - Abrams excels at character-driven moments and getting the most out of his actors, but just doesn't seem to be able to pull together a coherent story.

It's definitely not a bad movie, but for me it's very much the ROTJ of this trilogy, good but not great. It's also really lacking an OMFG moment. Like Rey catching the saber, the Holdo manoeuvre/throne room battle, or indeed any of the great set-pieces of the original trilogy. Hell, even some of the scenes from the last ep of The Mandalorian delivered more of a punch. Everything's just OK, when it needed to be exceptional.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I've not had a chance to rewatch at the cinema, but I can't wait for the Blu to come out so I can buy it to watch at home.
I've still not bought The Last Jedi (Or Solo) - the only SW movies I don't have on disc.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Just found out the name of my favourite location in Rise of Skywalker.
1580224197126.png

'The Mirror Spires or Ivexia'. Never noticed in the film, but the Falcon is reflected somehow. Looks like an exotic place, so glad we got to spend some time there rather than some boring forest or desert :rolleyes:

The other locations during the Lightspeed skim are the 'Megafauna Chasm of the Typhonic Nebula', and the 'Crystal Chaos of Cardovyte'.

caz2005

My level of disappointment is such that I don't need to bother with this trilogy anymore. Quite happy to watch

ROTS
RO
ANH
ESB
ROJ

but that's where it ends for me now. I could let it off if the big disappointment for me was TFA and that they ended the trilogy on a high note. I really enjoyed TFA and I forgave it's re-telling of ANH as it had the tough job of creating a new audience whilst pulling back in fans that felt burned by the prequels. TLJ I think I complained about unfairly at the time. It's just I hated what RJ did with Finn so much it soured the rest of the film at the time. I liked a lot of the story ideas though. Most of all the Rey parentage, Snoke death , Lightspeed Star Destroyer attack, even Luke throwing away the lightsabre which I thought was a genius way to subvert expectations. Saying the story threads of TLJ were too difficult to tie up is ridiculous. They weren't painted in to a corner, it's scifi fantasy. They literally could have done just about anything! What they did come up with (although the billion + $ it's made so far doesn't help my case) was boring, mundane, confusing, repetitive nonsense. :(

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
^ you're not alone. My mate says he's just going to forget the new trilogy exists, Solo too. Although he still likes the prequels and especially Rogue One.

For me the sequels represent a frustrating missed opportunity to explore the Star Wars universe, but I still really enjoy them just as entertaining films. I guess I just like Star Wars full stop.

caz2005

^ you're not alone. My mate says he's just going to forget the new trilogy exists, Solo too. Although he still likes the prequels and especially Rogue One.

For me the sequels represent a frustrating missed opportunity to explore the Star Wars universe, but I still really enjoy them just as entertaining films. I guess I just like Star Wars full stop.
I actually enjoyed Solo and would watch it again. When it comes to world-building though even Lucas couldn't resist making the universe he created smaller for all he complained about TFA introducing nothing new (Anakin made 3P0, Yoda already knew Chewbacca, Jango Fett, etc). Maybe the originals are still held in such high regard because that's what they are, original.

Okay, so they're heavily influenced by cinema and tv shows of the past but that influence was used to mold and create something new. The sequel trilogy has shrunk the universe even further though.

You mentioned earlier about the different locations they visit when doing the light speed jumping, isn't it funny how probably a lot of effort went into creating those locations only for us to see them for about 2-4 seconds each lol, anyway back to Tatooine for the big ending! lol

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I'd have liked a mix of new and old locations. Places like Coruscant and Bespin would be great for the sequel trilogy, as we never got to see anything urban in the new ones and revisiting these worlds would add a sense of cohesion to the saga. But also new stuff like, as you say, the Lightspeed skim pit-stops, to add expansiveness. The possibilities are so huge given visual effects tech of today, it's almost criminal to keep dwelling on rinky-dink desert/jungle/ice wildernesses.

Trending threads

Latest News

Panasonic launches SC-HTB600 and SC-HTB400 soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic launches HX940, HX900 and HX800 4K LCD TVs for 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson launches 3230 loudspeaker at Bristol Hi-Fi Show
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 17th February 2020