Spoiler Thread - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - You've been warned!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,009
      Now people have seen the film there needs to be somewhere we can discuss it without spoiling it for others, as there are some major spoilers in there.

So if you have not seen the film yet, do not read any further in this thread!

Please continue to use the spoiler tags people - at least for the time being!

I'll add my thoughts later - enjoy!

2. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,331
      absolutely brilliant the way it ties in to new hope, the guy from the cantina bar who loses his arm to Obi Wan, the appearance of gold and red leader in the final battle (bloke next to me didn't get it was them), the death of red 5 to be replaced by Luke later. The appearance of Tarkin, I thought they'd use an actor but the cgi was very good, not brilliant but good same with Leia. The final battle was unreal and the stuff that I've always wanted in a star was film. Oh why Lucas couldn't have done the prequels like this I'll never know. There's much more but after 4 hours kip ive got to do the school run, oh and Vader at the end was brilliant pity there wasn't more.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    3. cdm22

cdm22

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +240
      That pretty much sums up my thoughts too :)

4. Oldroadodeon

Oldroadodeon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +295
      Saw it at Telford last night - very busy and Darth Maul was there along with a Scout Trooper!!

...just the thoughts swirling round my head this morning...

GM Tarkin was great - not just a token cameo and it gave a great insight into his character in EP4 - CGI was `almost` perfect (I wonder if I say that only because I knew it couldn't really be Peter Cushing...)

Vader in his glass tank!!

AT-AT attack!

All those X wing pilots that were in Episode 4!!!

Star Destroyer dodgems!!

The last hour in general!!

The fact that they killed everyone off is a bold but necessary move - not sure how my daughter will take it though - there's a lot of people dying in this movie!!

Vader killing rebels in the corridor - love the way he appears out of the shadows, this is the vader I always wanted to see!!

Leia at the end literally dropped my jaw!!

Very different, definitely not a safe movie by disney/blockbuster standards (I can see a few people not liking it), but what an exhilarating breath of fresh air!

5. sebbykin

sebbykin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,617
      Bit on the fence with this:
      Last 45 mins - good SW fun
      Liked Leias' quote at the end:smashin: dodgy CGI though.
      Just seemed a bit rushed for the first hour or so, apart from Krennic landing miles away from Galens house (bit of a Prometheus moment:))
      Chirruts final scene was a bit meh, he walked all that way to the consol, with the aid of the force, lazer fire all around, and then couldn't find the lever!!
      There seemed to be a lot of that forced "perilous" moments throughout, although I think that was more to do with the rushed beginning with not enough time to invest in the characters
      Solid 7/10

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    6. Rog69

Rog69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,195
      I did a midnight showing last night too and without echoing what others have already said, it was superb. My only minor niggles were that it bounced around a little at the start and there was some clunky dialogue here and there. I could see how the CGI Tarkin might be a little jarring for some, it was very impressive and a brave move to give him the screen time they did though.

There were a couple of genuine laugh out loud moments "Are you kidding me, I am blind" got a laugh from the audience I was with, as did pretty much anything K2 said. I think Gareth Edwards did a terrific job cramming as much as he did into this movie without it becoming a mess and top marks for not holding back on killing off the characters.

I think I might be ready to forgive him for the mess he made of Godzilla now :)

7. Kev Greenhalgh

Kev Greenhalgh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      "Rouge One" hey, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that... :thumbsup:

8. Drax1

Drax1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,340
      This isn't really a spoiler, as I'd imagine most people will miss it, but nice to see Luke's tipple of choice back - the blue milk!

9. Drax1

Drax1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,340
      I loved some of the Easter Eggs in general. Anyone spot -

The imperial probe droid, the mouse robot, the man (and Ponda Baba) who starts on Luke in the Cantina), and even a looky like for man with the tash who appears onscreen in ANH when it's mentioned Like has turned off his targeting computer.

Tarkin looked pretty amazing , although there was ,to quote Karen Allen in Starman " Something spooky about his eyes".

I expected the Leia cameo (which was a great, but none to subtle moment), but was very surprised to see C3P0 and R2 pop up. A really lovely moment.

10. Drax1

Drax1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,340
      Are we expecting these to pop up on the bluray then? A real shame they didn't appear, that last one in particular.

upload_2016-12-15_15-6-34.png

upload_2016-12-15_15-9-33.png

11. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      I reckon they were cut in the reshoots

12. Rog69

Rog69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,195
      I think they changed quite a bit with re-shoots around that part of the movie, in one of the trailers Jyn is seen running outside with the death star plans, so it looks as though the plans and where they had to be transmitted from could have been in two different locations originally.

Also, there is a scene in one of the trailers where K2 tell Jyn that he has been told she is a friend so he/it won't kill her, I can't remember seeing that in the film, but it is entirely possible that I missed it.

13. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +225
      i enjoyed the film.

it got off to a slow start and i found the film a tad boring at times but the last 20 mins were great. i would say its on par with star wars the force awakens.

the problem with new star wars films is that the bar is so high, no new star wars film will ever be "amazing"

also i very impressed they were brave enough to kill off the entire cast. it clearly shows they are aiming these new star wars movies at adults and not kids anymore.

+ princess leia still looks hot :)

14. Hillskill

Hillskill
      Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,500
      I'm sticking to my original score of 6/10 after two viewings.

My first observation is the Disney policy of trying to make the movie appeal to as many ethnic groups as possible. Black, Latino, Asian, White and arguably Indian with the casting of Riz Ahmed. Nothing particularly wrong in principle with this but sorry,for me the heavy latino accent of Diego Luna just seems to take me out the story. Its box ticking at its most cynical. The two chinese/asian characters were really annoying. On 2nd viewing this was so obvious that they actually served no purpose that another character couldn't have. Also, I loved the droid K. Great one liners. But its just another camp droid to provide comic relief.
      Forest Whitakers screen time appears to have been a major casualty in dumbing down the gritty, dark vibes that we heard rumours of. Act 1 seems to be the biggest victim. That said the story is coherent and flows so the changes clearly were to lighten the tone. Most obvious oddity or continuity question mark was Whitakers final line of dialogue "Save the Rebellion, save the dream". That doesn't make a whole load of sense to me in the context of the story that we were presented. Clips from previous trailers would suggest there was some sort of additional back story of Jyn and Sor that was cut.
      Its another death star movie. A year after the last one. Seriously! This is the 4th time now. For me Epsiode VIII and the Han Solo movie have to start creating new legends, set pieces and story arcs that move in radical new directions. Enough fan service please. Lets start to kick on with this franchise and be brave. Its another orphan coming good and saving the universe.
      I have to concede that I thought Vader was handled well enough. Used in a measured enough fashion but still leaves you wanting more. Although I think the impact of him going "ham" on the beaches would have been far more interesting and exciting. Again the desire to put him in a really familiar setting proved too much to resist.
      The CG characters of Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing were amazing but still didn't look and feel realistic to me. They'd have got away with it if they were a little less used. Those characters will look insanely dated in just a few years.
      Ben Mendhelson stole the show for me and Felicity Jones is sexy AF. Without those two actors this movie would have been a massive disappointment.

Its definitely a Star Wars movie. It ticks all the boxes but, in my opinion, does zero to push anything forward. Two movies now and Disney have succeeded in milking the cash cow. I'm starting to doubt whether a new Star Wars movie will ever be bold enough to try stand on its own.

15. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,494
      I'm still buzzing from my first viewing and it feels a little like Gareth Edwards has been inside my head all these years. He's delivered everything I could have wanted especially in that final battle; things I've been wishing for in the prequels and TFA that never came to pass.

I thought the Death Star was fantastic in this. It was a character in itself; pervading the whole thing and driving the story, yet in a very different way than we've seen before. And unlike the implausible and unthreatening Starkiller Base, the Death Star seemed utterly menacing here. Gareth Edwards brought his trademark sense of scale to the proceedings and it looks vast. The
      weapons tests were terrifying and exhilarating, showcasing just how powerful it is yet holding back from what we will see in Episode 4. The story is a fantastic adventure to explain not only how they aquired the plans, but explained how they actually planted that weakness in the space station!

Sure it isn't a perfect movie by any stretch. Gareth Edward's weaknesses are his pacing and his characterisation; these are the two things that The Force Awakens excelled at. The story and characters in that were dynamic and fast paced. Here they are a little plodding. I liked Jyn Erso but I didn't feel the instant emotional connection I did with Rey. Ditto with the others in the band (although the more sober approach works well here- the last thing the film would need is a 'Finn' type character). I really liked the droid, and I enjoyed the double act of Donnie Yen and his war buddy. Those two have some great moments. I thought Riz Ahmed's character was a bit useless though, disappointing considering the promising actor.

The stand outs for me though are the villains (you listening Marvel?). Ben Mendelson's Krenick is awesome; ruthless, driven and less of a caricature than General Hux. And I had no idea to expect
      Tarkin! He too was terrifying and ruthless and embodied the sinister nature of the Empire. And Darth Vader! Holy crap he was fantastic especially in that scene. His ruthless slaughter of the rebels reminded me a little of Anakin's killing of the separatists on Mustafar in Revenge of the Sith. We finally see how dangerous he is inside the suit.
      The closing fan service was terrific and perfectly appropriate.

I liked how the film was not only woven into the very fabric of A New Hope, but connected with the prequels too. As bad as they are in parts, I'm glad this movie didn't throw them under the bus. Great cameo from
      Jimmy Smits as well as references to Coruscant, Obi Wan and the planet Mustafar

That end battle though... I haven't experienced Star Wars joy like that since Return of the Jedi. I thought the cuts back and forth were a little too frequent, however the battles
      both in space and on the ground were so good I didn't mind. No boring Ewoks or Gungans to flick back and forth too, just incredible combat of the kind I've imagined for 30 years. At last! a full on space battle with Star Destroyers, rebel cruisers, dogfights, collisons:
      Gareth Edwards is Santa claus as far as I'm concerned.

I heard beforehand that there was some 'dodgy cgi' in the film. I can only assume that's in reference to
      Tarkin and Leia being digitally inserted. I dont think its dodgy at all; this is just the dreaded uncanny valley effect. I thought they did a stupendous job with them- but unfortunately the technology to acheive 100% convincing facial effects is still probably decades away.

I can't stop thinking about it and I'm grinning like a 10 year old. I'm sticking with my 9/10 score, even if the narrative is a 7 or 8. It isn't space opera like The Empire Strikes Back (still the best), but it really does put the star wars in Star Wars.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    16. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +542
      Absolutely fantastic! 9/10 film!

The biggest achievement of the film for me was despite having full knowledge that it leads in to A New Hope (So I'm pretty sure we all knew how it was going to end) the tension never let up and I really got caught up in it all.

It aaaaaaalmost toppled Empire as my favourite SW but I guess it didn't have the advantage or luxury of having established main characters.

The Vader scenes were superb. As others have said, this is the Vader I've always wanted to see (Though his attack at the end does make his fight with Obi Wan a bit more lame than it already is lol). That end scene was a total shock though and I was internally just screaming at that guy to just throw the data plans through that gap in the door haha), it's the most terrifying Vader has ever been on film.

I was pleased to see Tarkin but they over used him. As good as the cg was it wasn't good enough to stop me looking at him as cg. A smaller role and back to the camera, face reflected in windows might have been a better use of the character?

I'm afraid poor Leia didn't come across well at all. I would have much preferred an actress that looked as much like a young Carrie Fisher as possible. It (no offence intended to the sfx guys) just took me right out of the moment and so close to the end credits I thought that was a shame.

Part of me kind of wishes that this came out before Force Awakens. It would have given JJ an opportunity to come up with a more original threat perhaps.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,607
      Really enjoyed it, had read rumours of Tarkin making an appearance but thought it would just be another actor like in RotS and a small cameo not Peter Cushing back from the dead with some lengthy scenes lol

Anyone else catch the Star Wars Rebels references? as I saw the Ghost (or a ship of the same class) three times throughout and they even mention General Syndulla on Yavin 4 plus those Hammerhead cruisers were introduced last season, love Easter eggs like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    18. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,161
      I'm not going to over what said in the main thread, but here are some issues I had
      why did the star destroyers not do anything in the final battle except conveniently crash into one another to destroy the shield, surely they could've wiped out the rebel fleet pretty quickly.
      In comparison to ESB the AT AT's were easily dispatched weren't they.
      Those final Darth scenes were beyond amazing (worth the price of admission alone) I just could've done with a bit more of him, not to much, just a bit more. My smile was ear to ear every moment he was on the screen.
      The characters or lack there of, are possibly my biggest gripe, they put together a group of wonderful actors but really none (outside Jyn) have any meat on the bone, given that they bravely followed through in killing them all off, it was disappointing I wasn't terribly bothered.

19. Hillskill

Hillskill
      Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,500
      Two Storm Troopers mention something about T15s being obsolete. I didn't get the reference. Did anyone else?

20. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,161
      I recall the scene. Didn't know what they were referencing though.

21. Hillskill

Hillskill
      Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,500
      Too deliberate to not be something relevant. Google didn't return any results. Perhaps I misheard what they said!?

22. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +853
      Does Luke not say something about t16s during the briefing before the Death Star assault in episode 4?

23. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,161
      Yes I believe he did.

24. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,494
      Perhaps
      the armour 'too strong for blasters' was installed in response to this very battle?

Or the fact that X-Wings pack a lot more wallop than a speeder (those things take on Star Destroyers after all). To be honest I think AT-ATs are always going lose against X-Wings.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    25. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +840
      Just back from Cardiff IMAX
      Have to let it sink in a bit, but an easy 9/10 from me
      This is the type of SW film I want to see. Great story great effects and so many 'cameos' of people and things
      Very good, very good indeed

26. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,611
      This would be my guess that the T16 just replaced them. I'd say it's just a joke for those avid fans that know the model number of every craft.

I enjoyed it, given its place in the time line it had a very hard job to do to appease those that go through every detail, it's very hard to slot a film between 6 others as well as I thought this did, I mean we knew the story up front so if certain things didn't feature we'd be disappointed. Not only was it enjoyable but the nods to the other films either side were executed well and it added subtle extras to the whole saga without contradicting it or taking stuff away.

The only thing that bugged me was Vader didn't sound right, his voice was higher and it was a bit strange, weird as James L Jones is still alive, I just found it distracting in that scene.

27. Andy Clark

Andy Clark

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      Very quick review as I saw it last night.
      Fantastic

There you go that was quick!

Seriously the first 20 minutes for me were a bit all of the place and I found the dialogue hard to hear - maybe that was the screening at Chichester (also they leave the bl**dy lights on too high in my opinion) Then it clicks into gear and wow what a battle at the end. They took some risks with this one and I felt they paid off. My wife thought it was great but a bit too violent.

Loved all the references to the original films and how they tied event together.
      Will watch it again soon as there was so much going on.

9/10 for me.

28. aslird

aslird
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,258
      I didn't even realise that Tarkin was CGI, I just thought they hired a look-a-like :facepalm:

One thing I may have missed - During the brief shot with R2 and C3P0, PO mentioned about no-one telling him where everyone was going (?) while the fleet was mobilizing for the final battle. But they surely have to have been on the ship in the final scene, for the message to stored into R2. I feel a quick scene of them both getting into the ship (just a close up to prevent spoilers) would have tied up things so much better.

29. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      I keep having to remind myself that this is a spin off and not a main 'arc' film. Really bodes well for the future of the spin offs and just how rich the story can go and link to the main films

30. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,494
      How good was this stuff though. I never saw the trailers beforehand (thank goodness) but I dared to hope we might get at least a hint of a space battle.

I never imagined we'd get the best one yet.
      [​IMG]

Whoo-ee!

[​IMG]