Spoiled with choice :)

marius2009

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been reading various reviews and this forum (which is great BTW :thumbsup:) and trying to figure out which media player is best for me.

This is what I want :lesson::

1. To be able to play VIDEO_TS folders
  2. To be able to copy content to the media player via Ethernet
  3. HDMI (when I'll upgrade the TV set)
  4. Composite (for my CRT TV)
  5. 1080p play (again, when I'll upgrade the TV set)
  6. MKV support (because it looks like it's the future of the formats)
  7. Act as NAS (backups etc). I do not want to switch NAS mode on for it to act as NAS stop working as media player whiles copying files.

My current choice would be Mede8er :thumbsup: which I think is the cheapest and only player that support ALL of my requirements. I think Sumvision Cyclone MKV HDD Enclosure would be the second best choise but it has to be switched to NAS mode before it will be accessible on the network.

Is it all correct and is there any cheaper and/or better option for me? :confused:

The Mede8er is a good choice but did you consider using a proper NAS instead of the media player for storage?

The Mede8er is a good choice but did you consider using a proper NAS instead of the media player for storage?
I was thinking about it but it looked like I would have to spend much more £ to fulfil the requirements. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

The other option was to take a media player which doesn't have internal hard drive and connect it to a USB external disk. But this solution would mean that I cannot access the external drive via Ethernet and I would have to plug the HDD into the PC before I would be able to copy the content (which I do on very regular basis). Isn't this right?

The mede8er is a great choice,The playon even better(Watch out for updates in the next week witch may swing you).The Sumvision is exellent value and will have NFS as an added bonus,I must agree an external NAS Would be the way to go to.:)

The playon even better(Watch out for updates in the next week witch may swing you)
Doesn't PlayOn have to be switched to NAS mode before it can be accessed via Ethernet? And that disables the other player functions until NAS mode is disabled.

I assume you are talking about firmware update for PlayOn. What's so good about the new version that would change my mind? Sorry I'm really lost with all the available options and firmware updates :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom