1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting VGA output

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Jul 11, 2002.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Anyone know if I can split a PC's VGA output passively, by a simply 'Y' splitter, or has it got to be done with amplification?

Is there any reasonably priced 1 to 2 VGA splitters out there?

Many thanks for any ideas!!!

Cheers.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Surely the easy way to do this is with another graphics card? Is this for monitor and projector? I've never tried this, my PJ has pass through VGA, and can't even tell you which version of windows supports this, but it does, and someone will know. I'm sure a y splitter would not do it or such devices would be available, I've never come across one. As to powered devices, yes, there's one in inmac's catalogue, it's not cheap! A 2nd card would be cheaper, and give you more. Someone shoot me down, or tell us how it's done?

Martin

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/Euronetwork_Ltd_SVGA_Monitor_Cables_41.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page £3.55 for the cable :)

This is a quick search on the net, I am sure you can find more solutions. There are things like the Omni Cube if you want to split the signal so that only one display is showing at a time (costs about a tenner).

It is pretty easy to do, as the signal is digital it does not need amplification and should not degrade.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As usual, I stand corrected! Mind you, price of graphics cards these days, it wouldn't be a lot more!

5. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the link!!

Can't beat £3.55 to get the job done (assuming there's no loss of quality!!!)

:) :) :)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just a thought, I'm sure the signal is not digital, RGB VGA is analogue, so by the time you've split it, it'll be short runs only I should think, though the signal is more robust than people tell you, I've got a very long VGA cable, with no perceptible loss of signal. Cost a bit though, it's a good one.

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Y spliter with my monitor and crt projector connected. I would tell you to spend the extra few quid and get one that you can switch the output on .

The quality looks fine untill you unplug one of them ,The pic just jumps out and you relise exactly what you ar missing. it just looks a much less dynamic image . what i tend to do is have the lead on top of the case so that when i am using the projector i can unplug the mon . Saves me having to mess around the back of the case but that's about it .

I would never use the projector with the mon conected at the same time you lose just too much. so go get a switcher

As for the 2 video card option .This would be a good idear if it would work right. I have tryed it I have allso tryed using a vid card with 2 outs on it (i have it in now it's a geforce 2 mx) . The problem is it seems to work ok till you want to do somthing .
    dscaler will not work with 2 outputs activated , a lot and i meen a lot of games won't work and some dvd software won't work.

I would love it if it did work , it would solve a lot of problems .I have tried it in win98, win me and winxp with no luck :( :(