• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Splitting the outputs on an external sound card

frostyboy

Standard Member
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to direct sound to each output on an external multi channel sound card?
I have a 5.1 and a 7.1 external usb sound card and would like to direct individual sounds to different sets of speakers.
I am using a sound cueing system for a theatre production and need to play one sound from front of house speakers, another from backstage speakers and another in the lounge.
If there is any software that can see all the outputs of the card, ie front, side, back etc, I could use these outputs separately instead of having to use three separate sound cards. :confused:
Thanks
frostyboy

bow79

There is surround sound editing on video packages but you would not be able to use this live i would not think.

bow79

Just re read I assume you mean INPUTS of card outputs are allredy seperate and software would be before it?

frostyboy

Standard Member
When I have the sound card plugged in, all I can see in my audio setup is the 'whole' sound card. Not individual outputs.
So if I want to send one track to Front speakers and another track to Rear speakers, I can't.
When I go into my windows sound setup to configure the 7.1 speaker setup, I click on the test button for each speaker, ALL the sounds come out of just the front speaker output on the card and none of the others.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom