splitting signal from disecq to send satellite signals to 2 boxes/TVs

dleckie

Standard Member
Reaction score
In France, trying to get UK and French FTA channels.

I had a set-up working perfectly with 2 satellite dishes connected with a disecq switch, feeding a humax foxsat box/TV.

I just bought another TV and a FujiOnkyo F8400 DVR for another room.

The retailer suggested that I could cut the coaxial, put in a signal splitter and have 2 coaxial cables, one going to each box.

I've done this, and now have no signal to either TV...

Does anyone have any ideas where I have gone wrong? I'm a bit concerned about the splitter he sold me, as the french verbiage on the package seems to suggest that it is for dividing satellite and terrestrial signals, which is not what I want to do.

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions!

Hi and welcome to the forum, though this isn't about Freesat so it has to be moved.
This is half a dozen thread headers above yours: http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1250668-can-you-split-sky-signal-freesat.html
Fuji and Onkyo are two different makers, of different types of things - what is that machine?
If you want another satellite machine in another room you will need at least a twin LNB on each of your your dishes.

Last edited:
Fuji and Onkyo are two different makers, of different types of things - what is that machine?
If you want another satellite machine in another room you will need at least a twin LNB on each of your your dishes.

Thanks for coming back so quickly - sorry I posted in the wrong place! the machine is a PVR, and says it's made by Fuji Onkyo... it's not something I'd heard of.

Are you saying that I can't just split the combined signal from the disecq switch? I don't know what LNB I have on the satellite dishes - presumably single, though - how can you tell? Would I be better wiring each satellite dish separately to one of the 2 receivers? And if so, can you join coaxial once you've cut it, or do I need to start again with fresh coaxial?

Thanks for your help!

That's OK and I've solved that one now - some cheeky company has taken both names.
I would have expected both the huge corporations to have taken action against that!
No, you can't split any satellite signal, from anywhere.
You could try switching the DiSeqC output though, with something like this: F Type Satellite Cable A-B Switch.
Yes, you could give each machine its own feed from one of the dishes.
Your dishes almost certainly have single LNBs - just see how many sockets there are on them.
Twins would replace them quite easily though, for use with two DiSeqCs and the two receivers.
You can join two lengths of satellite co-ax by putting f-plugs on the ends and screwing those into a combiner.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I think I will go with what sounds like the least scary option - one dish per box/tv combo! Many thanks for all your help - much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome - feel free to ask of anything else comes up - Logi

The splitting of satellite signals was common practice some time ago in France as all the required French channels were on a single polarisation and in a single frequency band - so no need for the four different batches of signals from the lnb. Whether this is still true I do not know but this installer's suggestion of splitting signals seems a hangover from this very common practice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom