Splitting SCART permanently?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by hurdy, Feb 4, 2005.

1. hurdy

hurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've searched far and wide for this but can't find the answer anywhere. Maybe its staring me in the face?

Can you split the RGB signal from a SCART output into two inputs that are on all the time (ie no switching)? I want to feed my TV and DVDR with the RGB signal from my Sky+ and I don't want to switch between the two (ie I may want to record something whilst I watch it).

The only scart boxes I can find have manual or automatic switching - am I missing something?

Failing the above, does anyone know of a three way box where all inputs are RGB compatible - ie, DVD into connector C, Sky into B, DVDR into A (which can record C & B) and the whole box output to TV. The only one I've found so far is only RGB on connector B.

Help?!?

2. johnnyW

johnnyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think so.

A scart SPLITTER has ONE INPUT and 2 or more output sockets, i.e. it acts like a distribution box.

A scart SWITCHER has 2 or more INPUTS and 1 output (usually) and acts like an input selector, e.g. for feeding into a TV with limited input(s).

What you need is the splitter.

Hope this helps.

JW

3. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find an unpowered 1-in, n-out type splitter, my thoughts are that you'll be disappointed with the results. I tried a 1-3 way (the 1-2 way was sold out) and as soon as I connected both TV and projector the output from each reduced in brightness and contrast (as I'd almost expected).

Only way for me to go was a powered distribution amp type thing (maplins for £40).

If you want to try a non switched through-wired 1-3 way then drop me the postage and its yours, but to be honest, I don't think you'd like the results.

4. johnnyW

johnnyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't agree with you more, summat.

I was just drawing a distinction between splitters and switchers :).

All the signal outputs have some source impedance and as soon as a load is connected the levels drop from open circuit values. The more load the more they will sag.

A powered splitter should act as a buffer with, hopefully, a gain of one, so no sagging.

JW