• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Splitting satellite feed for Freesat TVs

geojay

Standard Member
I'm probably going to get a Panasonic TV with a built in Freesat receiver. I've never had any satellite service so don't know how it works technically.

I live in a flat and the management company has just had a new aerial system installed which includes the ability to get satellite. The sockets haven't been installed in my actual flat (just coiled cabled outside at the moment) so I'm not sure exactly what I'll get in the way of connections

I gather LNBs are the issue and I see there are issues involved with splitting the signal. Can someone explain (or point me to a good explanation) what a LNB is and the issues involved? I'm asking because at some point I'll want to get a Freesat PVR or tuner card for a HTPC and am concerned that I won't be able to have two Freesat devices connected to my feed.

Many thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I'm probably going to get a Panasonic TV with a built in Freesat receiver. I've never had any satellite service so don't know how it works technically.

I live in a flat and the management company has just had a new aerial system installed which includes the ability to get satellite. The sockets haven't been installed in my actual flat (just coiled cabled outside at the moment) so I'm not sure exactly what I'll get in the way of connections

I gather LNBs are the issue and I see there are issues involved with splitting the signal. Can someone explain (or point me to a good explanation) what a LNB is and the issues involved? I'm asking because at some point I'll want to get a Freesat PVR or tuner card for a HTPC and am concerned that I won't be able to have two Freesat devices connected to my feed.

Many thanks

This might help. It's actually aimed at a poster in a similar position to yourself who wants to use a foxsat-hdr with only one connection to a lnb.

Digital Spy Forums - View Single Post - Will the new Humax PVR work with 1 LNB feed?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
That is very useful. I will have to wait and see what I get connected, I'd imagine it'll be a single feed though :(

As it's currently being installed you could ask if there is a possibliity of a 2nd connection to the multiswitch. If not the foxsat-hdr works pretty well with only 1 cable. So if you just buy a HD TV without built in Freesat plus the Humax Freesat pvr that will give you a much more versatile option.

geojay

Standard Member
As it's currently being installed you could ask if there is a possibliity of a 2nd connection to the multiswitch. If not the foxsat-hdr works pretty well with only 1 cable.

The wiring was done ages ago, I just have cables coiled up outside my window ready for the guy to install the socket in my living room. I think there are only two, I assume one for terrestrial and one for satellite. I will ask to see if there's anything that can be done but I suspect he'll only be able to work with the cable that's already there.

I'm only thinking ahead really, I'll initially only have the Freesat TV but will want something to do recording in the future.

Thanks

geojay

Standard Member
As it's currently being installed you could ask if there is a possibliity of a 2nd connection to the multiswitch. If not the foxsat-hdr works pretty well with only 1 cable. So if you just buy a HD TV without built in Freesat plus the Humax Freesat pvr that will give you a much more versatile option.

The guy fitted the socket today, the faceplate has TV, FM/DAB and two satellite connections. Given that there are only two cables outside should this be OK to allow two Freesat devices (i.e. TV with FreeSat tuner & a FreeSat HD PVR) to function independently as described earlier in the thread?

Thanks,
Geoff

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The guy fitted the socket today, the faceplate has TV, FM/DAB and two satellite connections. Given that there are only two cables outside should this be OK to allow two Freesat devices (i.e. TV with FreeSat tuner & a FreeSat HD PVR) to function independently as described earlier in the thread?

Thanks,
Geoff

Not with full function on the pvr you need two for the pvr to give 100% function and one for the TV. You can get away with one for the foxsat leaving one for the TV but why bother, save some money and get a TV without built in Freesat and use your 2 cables for the Foxsat-hdr

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I expect the FM/DAB and UHF-TV share a cable with one of the satellite feeds and are separated at the wallplate to the various sockets, and the other cable carries only the second satellite feed to the second socket,

If you do purchase a satellite PVR (Sky+ or Freesat+) it would be much better for it to have both satellite feeds to itself and you would find in operation you would then never use a satellite tuner in the TV, so unless there's a really compelling reason to have one, you'd be better off temporarily with a separate Freesat (or Sky) receiver you can subsequently sell to offset the cost of the PVR.

The Humax Foxsat HDR has a passthrough from the LNB1 input, intended for the LNB2 input on single-cable installations; you can use that to feed another receiver (eg. in the bedroom) which would have control as long as the HDR is in standby, and that just may be suitable depending on the logic, to feed a Freesat TV, or even another single-feed HDR elsewhere on the premises.

Graham, I've just had a thought there :) what if two Foxsat HDRs were connected, each with their LNB1 input fed from separate LNB feeds, and their LNB2 input fed from the LNB1 passthrough of the other. Use cable runs that allow them to be located in separate rooms, and you have the potential for dual-recording on each restricted only by the other not being in standby.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Graham, I've just had a thought there :) what if two Foxsat HDRs were connected, each with their LNB1 input fed from separate LNB feeds, and their LNB2 input fed from the LNB1 passthrough of the other. Use cable runs that allow them to be located in separate rooms, and you have the potential for dual-recording on each restricted only by the other not being in standby.

I like your thinking :D, but I think there's a couple of flys in the ointment. if you are using two at the same time. The second box tuner 2 will only have the same band channels as first box tuner 1 and the first box tuner 2 will only have the same band channels as second box tuner 1. To get the full functionality you would have to set each box to 2 cables (same) and this would allow you to set all sorts of recording conflicts. The firmware is clever enough to know what's available on the second tuner when on one cable so avoiding this problem. If you only use one box at a time then a pair of A-B switches would give the same functionality. I imagine trying to work out what's possible to record using both pvrs with overlapping schedules would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the £600.00 financial nightmare.

Last edited:

geojay

Standard Member
If you do purchase a satellite PVR (Sky+ or Freesat+) it would be much better for it to have both satellite feeds to itself and you would find in operation you would then never use a satellite tuner in the TV, so unless there's a really compelling reason to have one, you'd be better off temporarily with a separate Freesat (or Sky) receiver you can subsequently sell to offset the cost of the PVR.

OK, you've talked me out of my initial Panasonic TX-37LZD81 choice. Maybe you'd care to help me choose something else over in http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-tv-should-i-buy/918541-37-tv-me.html ?

Basically I'm looking for a full HD 37" TV for around £600.

Thanks!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
OK, you've talked me out of my initial Panasonic TX-37LZD81 choice. Maybe you'd care to help me choose something else over in http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-tv-should-i-buy/918541-37-tv-me.html ?

Basically I'm looking for a full HD 37" TV for around £600.

Thanks!

If you like Panasonic Tv's they do 37" LCD's without freesat as here

Panasonic - ideas for life - Television - LCD TVs - TX-37LZD80 - Overview

you can get this for about £600.00

http://www.buydigital.me.uk/Product-show.asp?BigClass_Id=9&SmallClass_Id=124

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom